Author Topic: Damage GRAPHICS....they are a bit dull now arent they?  (Read 519 times)

Offline robsan

• Copper Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
Damage GRAPHICS....they are a bit dull now arent they?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2002, 11:01:14 AM »
My priority wish list would be:

[list=1]
  • fix the CTD's and hard lock-ups
  • Bring the Mission Theater to AH
  • add puffs of smoke to bomb craters

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2002, 12:41:23 PM »
What's this about not seeing explosions or shock waves with bomb impacts?  I must be playing a totally different game than you guys because I see those animations just fine.  Yes, yes...It doesn't look as nice as blah, blah, blah game, but they are there.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2002, 12:50:05 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
What's this about not seeing explosions or shock waves with bomb impacts?  I must be playing a totally different game than you guys because I see those animations just fine.  Yes, yes...It doesn't look as nice as blah, blah, blah game, but they are there.

Superfly, during one of our squad practices, after about 3 bombs, no craters were visible or bomb impacts (except when the building exploded) with me and other squaddies...we had to take each others word for "hits" since nothing showed.  This was in the TA.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2002, 12:58:04 PM »
Superfly, do this:

spawn in an aircraft, then bail out on runway,  go over near the HQ tower (inert target that cannot be destroyed on field) and have several players practice Jabo'ing it, with single bombs.  After the first couple of bombs, you will not see anymore craters(assuming that they will not hit it directly, near miss), nor will you know that a bomb has been dropped.

Offline aac

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2002, 12:58:36 PM »
You beat me to it Superfly, because I see the craters and explosions also and a small shockwave around the crater although it does not move out away from the crater far it is still there for me.  I even see the craters if I come to a base after the bombs have been dropped in the past few min.  I don't know how long they stay visible but it must be at least 5-10 min.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2002, 01:08:59 PM »
don't mean to nitpick +)

but the impacts of the cruiser guns is kinda weenie.. +Q

SKurj

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
Re:Bombing damage
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2002, 10:19:33 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
concusion pressure waves would be nice touch..:)

The white ring around this bomb crater looks like it could be a concussion pressure wave:
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2002, 10:37:13 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I'm pretty sure they are able to depict air/ground combat with better graphics than now, but I think that would mean a huge, risky leap for HTC to make.

Obvioulsy, one of the reasons behind AH's success in the MMOG market is its tolerance for low-end PC systems. The requirements have gone up a bit since I started in 1.05 :) I upgraded my computers only recently, but before that, I could run AH pretty good with my Pentium III 500mhz 320M ram and a GeForce2 MX at 1024x768 resolution 32bit colors.

A new graphic engine would mean more people to hire to do graphics and programming, plus losing some of the customers who used low-end systems up to now(at least for a short term until they decide to upgrade their PC for the sole purpose of playing AH :D ).

But I think there is still more they can do with the current engine. :) And I really hope we'd get some new eye-candy soon. The "ear-candy" we received quite some versions ago, the external sounds ( :D two thumbs up) via experiments with AHDX gave our ears some infinite pleasure! Now our eyes wait the turn.

;)
\

I still get 30FPS on average with that Setup. Early modle (coppermine) PIII 500 TNT2 1024x768 32bit and 256ram

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2002, 07:16:57 AM »

oh yeah please forgive me, that concussion wave and debris looks real impressive! almost exactly like a real explosion!

compare it to this and you really cant tell the difference!.....

sorry ihave to push it a little ;)

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2002, 08:26:28 AM »
 Hmm... nope I don't see a concusion wave.  Therefore, YOU'RE PICUTURE SUCKS! :p
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2002, 08:28:49 AM »
Hazed, you still haven't answered my question. I'd appreciate it if you would.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2002, 10:23:44 PM »
Originally posted by hazed-

seems to me people are too fast to jump down each others throats.Ok so my dumb list would waste valuable programming time... so shoot me why dont you all :p

Hmmm,... Hazed, I actually was on your side with some of the things you said at the start of this thread so you should take your own advice and get outta my throat.
About the screenshot I posted above it wasn't directed at you and I said it COULD be displaying a concussion pressure wave. I don't know if thats what it is or not. Why don't you ask Hitech or Superfly if thats what it is? Since for some unknown reason they BOTH responded to this thread instead of 1 of the many other threads some of us wish they would check out ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2002, 10:28:11 PM by marauder »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2002, 01:00:22 AM »
Hmm.. maybe if the dusty smoke doesn't disappear in 1 second..  

Actually, I think the explosion effects aren't that bad. When I view my bomb drops from a bombardier's position in a buff, the explosion itself seems pretty convincing... But it does disappear in about half a second and leaves just a gaping hole.

Maybe if the smoke trail rises up a bit higher as in hazed's picture, and lasts for at least 1~3 seconds and then disappear in a slow fade out??

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2002, 08:36:59 AM »
ok let me quantify what i mean.

we do have a bomb puff with little white shockwave and its ok.What i was trying to show with the picture is what you really would see if a bomb went off,( i wasnt slating whats been already done). BIG clouds of dust and debris, yes also a shockwave but it sure is a lot bigger than what we see.(SUPERFLY: er... the concusion wave has already gone past the camera :) hehe)

Im not trying to drive HTC to work on itright now this instant. Im merely expressing my thoughts on what id like to see and in essence that is beefing up the effects a bit.Now if we have to be perfectly eloquent in every request and brown tongue HTC thoroughly in order to even ask for something we may as well cut off our nads and become women.We all have different personalities, some angry some impatient some down right rude but we ALL PAY THE SAME so ignore 'em at your $'s peril.

Toad as to your question Id delay the mission theatre in favour of some upgrading of the bomb damage model, including area of effect, the looks of it and like kweassa mentioned some way to have it last longer than the split second display we have now.

I absolutely LOVE yes LOVE the IDEA behind the mission theatre but i really have reservations as to its success.
I really tried to help the CT get going by being there talking about it in MA, inviting people to try it, posting  about it etc etc and after a few months i was becoming disheartened by the real lack of interest.Thankfully it has picked up but for a good 6 months it was almost deserted.IMO the main cause? people logged in saw 300 in MA and 12 in CT and thought id rather go where 300 are.

essentially this is what id predict will happen to the mission theatre.It may well be a success eventually but these new theatres take a long time to get going.With this in mind it really isnt something HTC should rush out.I honestly think they should start polling their customers on the BB to help them refine their ideas for it.If they produce a mission theatre that doesnt give us all what we really want from it,as in what we all imagine it will be like then it will go the way of many other arenas we've had.

Why do i worry it will fail? I'll tell you. Anyone whos a knight must know i put up loads of missions and i try to advertise their appearence (probably annoy a few for which i appologise) but this is the only way to get people in.You literally have to keep telling them or they ignore them(missions).

If theres 150 knights on i would be lucky sometimes to get 10 or more who actually want to fly in formations or fly 'as they did' in WW2.quite a few join and just wander off on their own courses or constantly ask what the targets are even though i generally give them targets in the description of each flight.Now through my experience there is not enough of our players who really like hard core mission play to warrent a successfull FULL time mission arena.Even though it sounds MADE FOR ME :).I only hope it really does take off.(btw there are times where lots get involved in my MA missions which gives me some hope for the future mission arena but it isnt always like that)

so to my priority list:

1. sort out the CTD if you can.
2. add any new aircraft (these are always appreciated)
3. improve graphics for damage/explosions (partical smoke an excellent addition)
4. start a Mission arena
5. further refine the roles for different types of aircraft(bombers/jabo/fighters must all have a purpose and a reward)

ok toady?

PS marauder i wasnt refering to you mate, i was reacting to some of the negative responses (one sort of inferring i was ungratefull for whats already been done),which incidently there wasnt that many.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 08:58:11 AM by hazed- »

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2002, 08:48:48 AM »
Originally posted by vorticon
actually it sounds like a good idea but it should just be one or 2 new graphics every version...for the bomb graphics anyway. not some huge giagantic leap that will leave older systems wanting. or hitech could set up a high graphics version for newer computers and what we have now for older computers.

btw this is precisely how i think it should be done also or an option to reduce any eye candy that doesnt affect gameplay.(ie not turning off smoke completely making players suddenly visible but making it solid sprite or something for low end comps) vorticon
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 08:52:07 AM by hazed- »