Author Topic: Why  (Read 454 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Why
« on: August 15, 2002, 11:22:25 PM »
Im really curious, and perhaps those more learned than me can help.

The other day while egressing from a jabo run I was hunted down by another P51.

Ok so the situation is this 2 p51 at sealevel the 2nd is 950 and losing ground. He is giving short bursts trying to make me turn.

At about  960 yards and directly on my 6 He hits my radiator??

how does one do THAT???:confused:
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Why
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 12:03:19 AM »
He used the same magic right angle bullets Kennedy was shot with...

No but to be serious, the radiator for a P51 is an oil cooling system located under and just behind the wing, not a solid block up front like in a car. The oil radiator for the spit (which also used a Merlin engine) is under the right wing.

During WW2 Good shots used to aim for the oil radiator because it was a critical system.

- Seagoon
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Why
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 09:49:00 AM »
Chances are, he put his pipper just over your cockpit, fired a burst, and the trajectory caused the bullet to drop off and find your radiator.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2002, 10:02:55 AM »
What Seagoon said, heres a pretty picture for ya:

Offline SUP0NGO

• Zinc Member
Why
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2002, 10:19:53 AM »
The Damage Modelling in AH is BAD modelled.
say you as it is possible to break to rudder of less than 1 inch of wide to 1000y? whichever projectiles hit in that rudder to break it? 1,3 1000? and the dispersion?
Is normal in AH.

Salute

Supongo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 10:22:58 AM »
Originally posted by SUP0NGO
The Damage Modelling in AH is BAD modelled.
say you as it is possible to break to rudder of less than 1 inch of wide to 1000y? whichever projectiles hit in that rudder to break it? 1,3 1000? and the dispersion?
Is normal in AH.

Salute

Supongo

Supongo, where are the control cables for the rudder? Thats right, the tail, aft fuselage, running up through the body of the aircraft.  One bullet into the tail can take out a rudder in real life...not sure if its modeled that way here.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Why
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 10:34:25 AM »
Rip, it is a nice pic, but I don't think it matters much where the radiator is located at the moment.

I had my fair share of hits in 190 radiator from dead six at 900-1200 too. ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2002, 10:37:30 AM »
Originally posted by Apar
Rip, it is a nice pic, but I don't think it matters much where the radiator is located at the moment.

I had my fair share of hits in 190 radiator from dead six at 900-1200 too. ;)

Hehe! Radial head! ;)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Why
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 10:39:35 AM »
Apar, why do we even have radiators?  Wouldn't the challenge be to see who can shoot down the most planes upon TO without radiators?  Oh yeah, who cares where the ENGINE COOLER is located.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Why
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 12:22:36 PM »
Chances are, he put his pipper just over your cockpit, fired a burst, and the trajectory caused the bullet to drop off and find your radiator.
I would have thought that to get a hit using a trajectory that allowed that kind of hit, the angle at which the round struck the cowling would not be sufficient to cause penetration. The round would more likely glance off. I think the pilot was Lee Harvey Oswald, sitting on a grassy knoll.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
PS - here's a real one.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2002, 12:27:16 PM »
P51D

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Why
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2002, 12:28:06 PM »
moral of the story - Dont fly straight on auto pilot with a bad guy your 6- in AH you make yourself a much better target that way.  In my experience, if you can change flight path at all (even just a little bit of an aileron roll) 99% of those long range bullets have no chance to hit you.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Why
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2002, 12:56:32 PM »
If it's a shot from a long range, the bullets are coming at the plane from above, not from below.

Unless you're flying inverted it shouldn't hit the cooling system so easily...

Offline Rover

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.najack.com.br/1BFS
Why
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2002, 05:32:28 PM »
Most likely the bullet was doing its own trip, enjoying the landscape and you run over it. Be more careful next time  :)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Why
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2002, 05:57:13 PM »
Ah, Seagoon is right about radiator below the aircraft on the P51, but as Ripsnorts picture shows, it is a coolant radiator, not an oil radiator.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"