Author Topic: Why does everyone whine about the N1K?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Why does everyone whine about the N1K?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2002, 11:26:32 PM »
This could be quickly resolved, but the people that can don't care ;)    Live in fear little termite dweebs :)

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2002, 12:35:50 AM »
No Nacho, he wasn't hunting b29s in an a6m2, lol . He also flew the Raiden . He did choose to fly zero instead of a shiden kai for the last mission of the war .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 12:52:48 AM by Samm »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2002, 02:16:24 AM »
Torque has little affect on stall . Planes that have a nasty wing over tendancy (Fw190) in a stall will do that even with the engine off .

I did that climb stall test on four different planes, the TBM, the N1k2, the Tempest, the a6m5, all 100% internal fuel, no ordnance, no wep .

The TBM maintained climb much like the n1k2 at about 95mph IAS. The N1k2 maintained climb at about 95mph IAS. The Tempest maintained climb at about 80mph IAS . The A6m5 maintained climb at about 95mph IAS . Now who would say that  the tempest has no torque in AH ?

The a6m2 although I didn't film it maintianed climb at about 60mph IAS :eek:

Here's the film .

http://home.satx.rr.com/suvorov/shidenwine.zip

[edit] I forgot, the 109f is on there too, best I could get out of it was 100mph, not as good as the 190d9 .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 04:45:38 AM by Samm »

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2002, 03:17:16 AM »
:rolleyes:   So sorry suave if he flew the N1K for 2 missions.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2002, 04:21:02 AM »
Don't be sorry, you didn't do anything wrong, well except that emoticon . For that you should report to AKDeja straight away .

Oops that should say report to Dead Man flying, he posted about that not the Deja .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 05:28:24 AM by Samm »

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2002, 04:50:31 AM »
I know.  I've used it twice in a year....gah....Deja....just end it for me. :D

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2002, 05:52:13 AM »
Stall has nothing to do with torque??

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2002, 05:58:50 AM »
Stall has little to do with the prop. A deadstick 190 does a left wing drop/wingover in a stall, just as it does when it stalls with the engine on .

A stall occurs when the air is not passing over the wing fast enough to cause the negative pressure needed to give sufficient lift .

Offline Tuborg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.localeyes.dk
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2002, 07:38:41 AM »
Stall speed this--stall speed that, who cares anyway....

There are only 3 reasons to fly a N1k2 in AH.

A: You are Japanese and always loved the planes of your country.

B: You are too drunk to fly anything else.

C: You are a cheap trash trailer redneck with no character at all.

Comon guys! This supose to be a yankee sim, at least 70 % of you! So show a little courage, back up your country, be a good patriot and make the N1k2 dissapear from the top 3 list. For christ sake, nobody ever heard of that plane before AH ( and that goes for the La7 too, you depraved Punks!!) :D

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 07:41:33 AM by Tuborg »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2002, 07:42:39 AM »
Sling.. where's that quote of mine you sometimes slip into your sig block?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2002, 08:27:33 AM »
That's very interesting Samm.

I know what a stall is, and when I questioned the relation with torque, I was more of asking the effect of torque under stall situations.  I thought the tendency to "snap" into a certain direction was entirely due to torque(well, multiple factors collectively known as 'torque').

If the engine's dead, theoretically, wouldn't there be no reason at all why a plane should always snap into a certain direction?? If a engine on the 190 quits, and the pilot pulls the stick violently, there's no torque, no gyro effect, no P-factor, no propwash... and still it would always snap in one direction??? Why??

Now I'm getting real confused here..  :confused:

When I tried the same test with the 109G-10, it felt like the speed was getting too low, and there wasn't sufficient lift under both wings to neuter the torque effect. The 109 would keep wobble to the left, careful rudder or aileron controls to counter it, until the point came no control was possible anymore and it succumbed, spinning left.

My perception of this phenomenon is, near stall conditions, there is not sufficient lift to counter torque and thus, the plane will want to roll and veer off to one side, as much as it would when taking off.. and then at a certain point the inevitable spin would develop. You are saying this is not true, and torque will not effect a plane at near stall conditions?? :confused: :confused:

.. Now I'm stumped.. :eek:

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2002, 08:34:53 AM »
Tourque will affect a plane very very much near stall. Have a plane fly straight up and then stand still in the air, prop turning one direction all physic laws say that they prop needs something to counter it (the rest of the airplane). Thus the plane will want to roll in the other direction.

As for why a plane with the prop feathered/not spinning I can't quite answer, it's all in the airplanes characteristics (gotto go and read up on my aerodynamics I see). As I am a glider pilot I know the tourque doesn't alone affect what direction the plane spins in as gliders too, usually spin in one and the same direction.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Raly

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2002, 09:02:53 AM »
I don't whine about the N1K2.. them's good perks.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2002, 09:36:03 AM »
As a plane's speed slows and pressure on the controll surfaces decreases you need to apply more and more aileron to counter torque .
However.
Torque is not the reason why some planes tend to wing over when you're pulling back on the stick and others do not.

An example of a plane that has a tendancy to wing over when you pull back on the stick would be the c202, the spitfire, which is much like the c202 in terms of capabilities does not exhibit this tendancy as pronounced as the folgore does .

If you took the time to watch my film you'll note that the plane with the bigest prop and most horespower (Tempest) for whatever reason actually did the best at near stall climbing .

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2002, 11:19:04 AM »
So you are saying the overall stability of the roll, pitch, and yaw axis during a sustained climb near stall-speeds, as seen in the tests of some planes, is normal?

With my primitive imagination, shouldn't they(planes like the Tempest or the N1K2..) at least encounter much more trouble at keeping that speed/angle/climbrate than it is now? :confused:

I've seen that some other planes can also do that in AH. What I don't think I've seen is any comments about it.. Can it be considered normal?? :confused: