Author Topic: Why does everyone whine about the N1K?  (Read 962 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why does everyone whine about the N1K?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2002, 12:20:38 PM »
Have any of you actually taken a Niki to 20k and tried to turn fight in it.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2002, 12:44:57 PM »
Originally posted by easymo
Have any of you actually taken a Niki to 20k and tried to turn fight in it.

I've never, and still don't understand arguments like this.  The same argument used to perk planes like the 152, is used to explain why the n1k2, la7, etc, don't dominate other aircraft.

Low alt performance, is more important than high alt performance.

Most of the fighting in AH happens under 10k. (Excepting certain parts of AK desert, a beautifully designed, if badly colored map, which DOES leave the la7 worthless in many areas) If you're flying a low-alt fighter and run into trouble, diving to the deck is always an option.  At a disadvantage?  Just dive to where your plane is best at.  Now, look at the high-alt fighters, which are perked for it.  The 152 is ONLY good at very high altitudes, where it will spend most of its time flying around looking for someone else that high.  If a 152 gets jumped at 5000feet, there is no option for him to zoom to 25000feet where the plane will have an advantage.

And no, this isnt an unperk the 152, or even a perk the n1k2 whine.  (It's a thinly disguised perk the la7 whine :D)

Just because a plane ONLY excels at low alt is not an important disadvantage.  A plane which dominates only at low alt is MUCH better than a plane which dominates only at high alt.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2002, 01:07:01 PM »
I was responding to this

(planes like the Tempest or the N1K2..)

Temp is a monster at any alt. This has to be one of the silliest things I have seen on this bb.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2002, 01:43:59 PM »
This thread is lacking . It needs a couple scoops of Mandoble and a smidget of Tac .

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2002, 08:53:53 PM »
Originally posted by Samm
No problem here . There is an AH squad called 343 kokutai . Know what the 343 kokutai flew in real life ? Saburo Sakai was a "nikdweeb"

Saburo Sakai never flew the N1K in combat.  After Iwo Jima, he was transfered to the Matsuyama Wing flying the N1K but before he entered combat, he wsa transfered back to the Yokosuka Wing flying J3M 'Jacks'.  It was in the 'Jack' that Sakai hunted the B-29 in, not the N1K.

Sakai flew the A5M4 (Claude), A6M2 (Zero), A6M5 (Zeke) and the J3M (Jack) in combat.

So Nacho was correct :D

Planes of Saburo Sakai

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 09:07:25 PM by akak »

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2002, 10:00:36 PM »
Hello fellow confused pilots,

First off thanks to Kweassa for mentioning me in a post, I've finally been referenced by someone, this is big! Second, I have a film of the N1k test and got about 80-85 ias for the climb of 3000 fpm. How does this happen? I know a tempest can do a prop hang but it's not climbing very much at all! Any chance HTC will see this? Prolly not since it's titled about an N1k whine...

Jason
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2002, 02:04:08 AM »
Prop hang?  Who in their right mind turns a tempest?

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2002, 02:23:52 AM »
Originally posted by akak

Saburo Sakai never flew the N1K in combat.  After Iwo Jima, he was transfered to the Matsuyama Wing flying the N1K but before he entered combat, he wsa transfered back to the Yokosuka Wing flying J3M 'Jacks'.  It was in the 'Jack' that Sakai hunted the B-29 in, not the N1K.

Ack-Ack  

Isn't that what I said ?

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2002, 02:34:26 AM »
I posted this earlier in the thread. But people are still saying the n1k2 can do special things that other planes can't .

I did that climb stall test on four different planes, the TBM, the N1k2, the Tempest, the a6m5, all 100% internal fuel, no ordnance, no wep .

The TBM maintained climb much like the n1k2 at about 95mph IAS. The N1k2 maintained climb at about 95mph IAS. The Tempest maintained climb at about 80mph IAS . The A6m5 maintained climb at about 95mph IAS . Now who would say that  the tempest has no torque in AH ?

The a6m2 although I didn't film it maintianed climb at about 60mph IAS :eek:

Here's the film .

http://home.satx.rr.com/suvorov/shidenwine.zip

[edit] I forgot, the 109f is on there too, best I could get out of it was 100mph, not as good as the 190d9 .
 [/B]

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2002, 03:07:02 AM »

Isn't that what I said ?

Nope...

Ack-Ack
479th Fighter Group

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2002, 07:23:53 AM »
No Nacho, he wasn't hunting b29s in an a6m2, lol . He also flew the Raiden . He did choose to fly zero instead of a shiden kai for the last mission of the war .

Yep..
I never said he hunted b29s or anyting else in n1ks .
Nacho said all he flew was a6m2, you say Nacho is correct, but as you and I also pointed out he flew the also flew the Raiden, as well as other types of zero .

« Last Edit: August 26, 2002, 07:47:45 AM by Samm »

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2002, 07:34:27 AM »
BTW the Yokosuka kokutai had shiden kais in 1945 .

The pilots who were all frustrated at the sudden surrender sprung on to their planes which were already started. There were ten Zeros and five or six Shiden-kais. I chose the nearest Zero. I thought I would never fly the Zero again, so I was very excited about having the chance to fly again.

It wasn't just because the Zero was nearest to me that I chose the Zero. Ever since it's debut in 1940, I was into my sixth year flying and fighting on the Zero. In fact a Shiden-kai, then the state-of-the-art fighter plane, was paked even closer to where I was than the Zero I flew. However, I instinctively chose the Zero, not even considering the Shiden-kai. the thought that flashed in my mind then was this;

"The Pacific War was started by the Zero. This is probably going to be the last air battle in WW2, and I would want to let the Zero place it's name in history as having fought that last battle!"
[/i]

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2002, 06:40:23 PM »

Yep..
I never said he hunted b29s or anyting else in n1ks .
Nacho said all he flew was a6m2, you say Nacho is correct, but as you and I also pointed out he flew the also flew the Raiden, as well as other types of zero .

You may not have said it directly but you clearly implied it in your somewhat mocking response to Nacho. And yes, Nacho is still correct when he posted that Sakai only flew training missions in the N1K.

No Nacho, he wasn't hunting b29s in an a6m2, lol .

Ack-Ack
479th Fighter Group - Riddle's Raiders

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2002, 07:11:23 PM »
Ok, so what I said was right but what I didn't say was wrong .

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2002, 09:29:00 AM »
Some have said torque has little effect on a stall. While that may be true for a stall, torque has a lot of effect on a spin.

When I first took flying lessons in the 70's I practiced stalls in a Piper Tomahawk at high AOA both with power off and applied. Departure from flight was much more pronounced with power applied.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.