Author Topic: Mac guys cc here!  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 1999, 11:55:00 AM »
<BIG Punt>

Don't want you guys fergettin...

dh

MG

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 1999, 05:29:00 AM »
Mac here because my job depends on it.

Why would I fly anything else?

------------------
MG
Major
Rogue Gryffons

Offline Speijk

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 1999, 06:55:00 AM »
Mac guy here!!
Member of the 1st ROF. Will convince my squadron member to buy a mac too ;-)

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 1999, 10:20:00 AM »
cc

My squad contains about 8 Mac pilots and 30 members.  The 305th contains about 4 Mac pilots and 30 members.  Neither squad will go anywhere that doesn't support the Mac.

To add additional fuel to the fire, -sick-'s squad (487th) which contains exactly zero Mac pilots and about 30 PC pilots, will not go anywhere that doesn't support the Mac.  (As told by -sick-)

Wade

edog

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 1999, 11:08:00 AM »
cc, mac user here

Offline Alabam

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 1999, 12:34:00 PM »
I'm not a Mac pilot, but have squad mates and friends who are, I will play AH free, beta, but won't support any game where Mac's are banned!

Alabam

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 1999, 04:29:00 PM »
Gentlemen as i've stated before we are not supporting the mac at this time. It realy dosnt make any econmic sense to support the mac when you have an unknown product, and an unkown subscriber base size.All that supporting the mac at this time would do is greatly slow the devlopment process and make our financial risk greater.

HiTech

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 1999, 01:57:00 PM »

It realy dosnt make any econmic sense to support the mac when
                             you have an unknown product, and an unkown subscriber base size.All
                             that supporting the mac at this time would do is greatly slow the
                             devlopment process and make our financial risk greater.

Dale,

I hear you and in some respects your arguments make sense.

I'll agree that adding an additional platform always adds some complexity to the development process.

However, if it were added now rather than later, the complexity would be greatly reduced.

You mention your subscriber base is of an unknown size.  We're simply pointing out that it will be smaller even on the PC side without Mac support.  People are going to go where they can fly with their friends, unless HTC is going to offer something that's 200% better than its cross-platform competitors.  Even in my small world I've pointed out 90 people that will not fly AH regularly because they won't be able to fly with their Mac friends.

If AH were to include Mac support and were to follow historical trends, the Mac userbase would be 10-20%.  Now, if you were not to have that 10-20% plus lose the many hundreds of PC pilots who would go where cross-platform support was available, I find it difficult to believe that that is not worth one Mac developer's salary.

And a word of warning:  it would be easy to put yourself into a position of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Say that 12 months from now you decide to give in and hire a Mac person.  Say during that time Playnet has come out and is outstanding and WB 3.0 has also made tremendous strides.  Now, because of the delay and the other outstanding choices available, you're not going to get the 10-20% Mac userbase, and you'll be telling us, "See, I told you there weren't enough Mac users."

All this said Dale, it's certainly your game and you have the right to make whatever decisions you wish and we'll respect that.  However, that doesn't prevent us from urging you to take another look at the business case.  

Sincerely,

Wade
==au==

Griffin

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 1999, 02:31:00 AM »
Mac here, and I will not get a pc, dammit!  

/-grif-

funked

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 1999, 06:22:00 AM »
Wait you guys are asking him to double his devo costs so he can increase his revenue by 20%.  Don't care what business you are in, that don't fly!

funked

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 1999, 06:26:00 AM »
P.S. How many Mac guys are owners or prospective owners of the new VW Bug?

I have a theory...

maa

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 1999, 04:40:00 PM »

In my squad we also have -jokr-, -celt-, and ==au== who are Mac Users.

Daddy= is a PC user now but still uses his Mac to fly on occasion when his PC is screwed up, hehe.

Soul--
4th FG

Thanks for remembering me butthead! ;-)  I have a Mac but I also have a PC.  I can't fly on my Mac right now but as soon as I can, I'll be upgrading it and using it to fly with instead of the PC.

------------------
--maa- =4th FG=
Lasst die Schweine von der Luftwaffe einen schnellen, ruhmlosen Tod sterben!

The Flying Penguin

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 1999, 06:44:00 PM »
you'all COULD get a pc- emulator for your mac's. I have a friend who is an ardent mac-addict, but for games he uses his pc emulator running it off of his powerbook. It runs any pc application (including games) perfectly, and even better than most pc's.

-drako

Cuff

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 1999, 06:45:00 PM »
Well, don't take this the wrong way but...

YOU MAC GUYS ARE AN ABOMINATION OF NATURE!!!

Any hardcore sim guy is going to buy a PC box anyway.  How many sim titles are available for the Mac versus the PC?  I rest my case.

Flame away...  

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 1999, 07:13:00 AM »

you'all COULD get a pc- emulator for your mac's. I have a friend who is an ardent mac-addict, but for games he uses his pc emulator running it off of his powerbook. It runs any pc application (including games) perfectly, and even better than most pc's.

Not really. I run VPC to dual boot into NT4 or Win95, for business apps, mainly. For a game with lots of 3D, forget emulation.

Any hardcore sim guy is going to buy a PC box anyway. How many sim titles are available for the Mac versus the PC? I rest my case.

You're joking, right? Sure, it used to be the case. No longer, bud. While I was at Con, I saw Rainbow Six, and thought it was a really cool looking game. Well guess what? It's in beta for the Mac. Fly! is coming. Halo. Playnet, WB3, Falcon4, SC, etc., etc. I can pop a Voodoo3 in my Mac, and with the new G4, I can put AGP 3D cards in it.

But if you mean the aisle upon aisle of cheap, useless 3D shooter games I see at CompUSA, then you can have them.

With Playnet and WB3 coming out for the Mac around the same time as AH, I figure I can do without AH just fine. I do think it was a mistake, HT, and will rear its ugly head later on to bite you in the bottom.

Over at WB, the current figures as of early this month (with a non-equal client and no 3D) show Macs bring in $30,000 a month. That's $360,0000 a year. And that's with many Mac customers NOT EVEN FLYING due to problems, and many not flying out of priniciple because they aren't up to standard, and a generally eroded Mac players base. Now, I have developers working for me, and even throwing in insurance, etc., you'd be hard pressed to eat up HALF that revenue with development overhead. If your game is built with portability in mind from the outset, you can get by with one Mac developer, as the billing, web sites and other features are written easily with cross-platform methods.

Given a game with equal development and cutting edge features at a fair price, you'd easily pull in enough to cover development and contribute to the overall revenues. But I suspect this is no different than WB in the beginning, when HT had to be convinced of the potential of a Mac port. Unfortunately, this is a little different than when WB began. There's more competition now, and the competition all are giving the Mac a fair shake.

Spitboy -SW- (sb-sw-)