Author Topic: Mac guys cc here!  (Read 1380 times)

funked

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 1999, 12:51:00 PM »
Spitboy no matter how you look at it, Mac devo is going to put a dent in his ROI projections.  I don't know where his capital is coming from but those guys are going to look real hard at that stuff.

Tigger

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 1999, 01:14:00 PM »
So from the looks of all these posts the mac users and hundreds of PC users that have mac users as friends are going to kill AH even before it gets off the ground.

A projected user base of "maybe" 20% is using thinly veiled threats of "If you don't include us in the initial release we are going to kill your program."

Don't think that is true? Go back and reread some of these posts.

I've never had much of an opinion of Mac users in general, but after reading all the garbage spewing forth here and I have to ask are you guys proud of this type of attitude?

------------------

//=^.^=\\

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 1999, 10:07:00 AM »
I have both a PowerMac and a 400MHz Pentium II PC. My preference is absolutely the Mac. The only reason for me to have the PC is that some games I play are not supported for Mac. When support to Mac is available i prefere to use the Mac. The Mac means easy and reliable use, and far less configuration and operating problems. So please port to Mac as soon as possible.

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 1999, 11:40:00 AM »

A projected user base of "maybe" 20% is using thinly veiled
                               threats of "If you don't include us in the initial release we are
                               going to kill your program."

Don't think that is true? Go back and reread some of these
                               posts.

It's not a threat, it's a statement of fact.  Many squads have stated they will only go to games that support both platforms and that statement is made with the full support of the squadron's PC users.

How is that a threat?

Wade

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 1999, 11:46:00 AM »

Wait you guys are asking him to double his devo costs so he can
                               increase his revenue by 20%. Don't care what business you are
                               in, that don't fly!

Funked,

Would you consider it fairly likely that HiTech wouldn't be particularly averse to adding another PC developer?

That would double his development costs and add how much revenue?  Zero.

The problem as we've stated is the unrealized revenue won't be just 20% as it won't be just from Mac users.

Wade
==au==

Rolo

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 1999, 12:54:00 PM »

You're joking, right? Sure, it used to be the case. No longer, bud. While I was at Con, I saw Rainbow Six, and thought it was a really cool looking game. Well guess what? It's in beta for the Mac. Fly! is coming

You just hit on one of the problems with adding Mac support.  Rainbow Six for Mac is in beta, but it's been out for the PC for about a year.  For a dual-platform online game are you going to hold up a release while waiting for the Mac version to get finished?  While Mac support may create a larger potential user base, it also creates a gating factor that can have a real impact on revenue.

Rolo

Captain Krunch

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 1999, 02:25:00 PM »
People can argue this point until they are blue in the face but it won't change anything.  If the Apple is no longer a viable platform then it just isn't.  If they can get their numbers out of the low single digit percentages that would change things overnight.  

busboy

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 1999, 08:45:00 PM »
CC!

I am the XO of a squad that was origionally the "green apples", hence the all mac nature. Still, about 40% atleast of our squadies are mac users. While AH is looking good, I think that we're gonna be considering the "other" sim comming out real good. And, if the "other" sim is all its cracked up to be, AH is gonna have to really blow my socks off.

------------------
Busboy
XO, 99th Dragons

"It is well war is so terrible, else we grow too fond of it"

-Robert E. Lee

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 1999, 10:53:00 AM »

You just hit on one of the problems with adding Mac support. Rainbow Six for Mac is in beta, but it's been out for the PC for about a year. For a dual-platform online game are you going to hold up a release while waiting for the Mac version to get finished? While Mac support may create a larger potential user base, it also creates a gating factor that can have a real impact on revenue.

Rolo,

It's only that way because the game developers make it that way.

Why does Bungie do a simulataneous release on Mac and PC for every product they ship?  Why did idSoftware do a simultaneous release of Quake 3 Arena?  (Actually the Mac release was slightly ahead of the PC)

They do it because they planned properly and they wanted to do it.

The games that have the Mac port show up a year later are those where the Windows programmers wrote with no thought of cross-platform, making life a PITA for the guys who end up doing the port.

Wade
==au==

Offline ==au==

• Zinc Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 1999, 10:55:00 AM »

If the Apple is no longer a viable platform then it just isn't. If they can get their numbers out of the low single digit percentages that would change things overnight.

Strange, John Carmack seems to think it's a viable platform.

Wade
==au==

Toughgun

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 1999, 01:01:00 PM »
Well I am a PC guy !! and proud of it but..

I am also in sale's and have found out over the years that 80% of most business sale's come from 20% of the total customers they have......Hmmmmm

Guns out.

Captain Krunch

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 1999, 02:18:00 PM »
When you plan on selling millions of games almost anything becomes a viable platform.  When you plan on selling thousands, that changes things.

Offline Stiglr

• Persona non grata
  • Copper Member
Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 1999, 06:54:00 PM »
Mac at work, and like alabam, I'll sniff around, do beta and all that, but will NOT jump ship for a PC-only game if there is an alternative.

------------------

Tigger

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 1999, 10:32:00 PM »
I take it the this is the squeaky wheel theory in effect?

------------------

//=^.^=\\

hitz

Mac guys cc here!
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 1999, 06:31:00 PM »
Some people just have no clue.
It seems Bungie, Id, Playnet, Epic, Westlake, Terminal Reality, G.o.d., do.