Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 651 times)

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2002, 02:03:43 AM »
My Bent friend we can only hope they implement it! :eek:

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Speedometer
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2002, 12:08:07 PM »
For the last time!!!

I'm NOT that Ben Dover:mad:

:eek:

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2002, 10:50:32 PM »
Oh yes ruuuuuaght :D

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Speedometer
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2002, 11:23:28 PM »
English is the international language of aviation.

American is the international gauguage of aviation.

(putting on helmet and flak vest and running for dugout)
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2002, 12:09:58 AM »
Oh Yes Halo but read in aircraft the Airspeed is read as Knots not MPH and miles are read in NM. But what we're asking is for historical  gauges for  the aircraft that had them like Metric gauges for German ,Japanese ,Russian Aircraft. Heck I don't know how to use Metric that well , I'm accostumed to using the American measurement system but I'd like it, to not only be accurate, also help those from the other parts of the world who play and Pay AH to get the option to select either Metric or English to their liking. Also mind you all aircraft were not American and this might be a shock to you, it is an American game, but it's played and payed internationally.

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
International
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2002, 12:22:38 AM »
English is the language of international aviation radio communication. Knots/hour was the airspeed unit for U.S. Naval and USAAF aircraft.

Miles/hour was the airspeed unit of some U.S. Army aircraft i.e. P38, P-40. and kilometers/hour was the airspeed unit for Japanese and German aircraft.

I thought that knots/hour was the commonwealth unit. Is that correct? My father flew Mossies for the RCAF and always used knots. Every plane I've ever flown in the US has been in knots. How in the heck do all of us do it?

It is just easier to use the same gauge image for all cockpits. Changing code for unit conversion is not difficult and changing gauge images are not difficult. But they require time and motivation to do it. As all code changes in any software...

It's pretty sad that only 2 countries on earth have a general population unable to grasp the metric system. I don't know if it's pig-headed stubborness or the lack of intellect. One is in Africa and the other is the U.S.

Fullback

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Speedometer
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2002, 12:23:13 AM »
I only learned metric at shool my car and everything around me is measured in metric system.(the most logic system in the world no doubt)

But for planes somehow i want it mph. I,m just used to it because i played to many sims.

For german planes it should be more realistic to use the metric system.

Anyway
just divide or multiply with 1.608 i always knew this is to hard for US citizens :D

we count to 10 not to 13,345627 hehehe metric it's so logic

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2002, 04:22:28 AM »
damn 10 number system, we should have gone with an 8 number system, really are thumbs  fingers? would be much more fun  1-2-4- 8-16-32-64-128-256-512 wow isn't that logic .. why's 10 logic cause you have 10 # counting system i guess..

and after all 8 is based on 1  which is why computers use it .. that's logic in my book .. get rid of the 10 number system!

Stop giveing americans crap about not useing metric ...we do .. how do you think we buy our drugs LOL!

stupid people squeaking about metric what do you know ..... nothing .. kinda like me but at least i'll admit it(while pointing out why your wrong). :rolleyes:

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Speedometer
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2002, 06:24:34 AM »
Well if you ask me it doesn't make that much of a difference. The planes I fly in RL have different airspeed indicators, so when I fly a 182, I see the airspeed in knots; when I fly the CAP-10 (french airplane), I see the airspeed in Km/h, and when I fly the PA-23 Aztec it's MPH.

Just remember their respective stall speeds and you're fine :D

Daniel

Offline Creto

• Zinc Member
Speedometer
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2002, 06:54:23 AM »
what a complete load of old hogwash that is!!

a disadvantage to americans because they cant convert to metric??   rubish!

Hey I never claimed that! :)  Though I don't use the metric system doesn't I can't learn it and besides I hardly ever use intruments anyways.

IMO the reason behind having these guages is they're based on a P51 which they ready access to.  Now it's much easier and speeds up the process to slap them in every cockpit rather than design new ones.

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Speedometer
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2002, 07:14:23 AM »
Originally posted by NOD2000

as the brits said in WWII "americans are over sexed, over paid and over here..........."

well u know what my grandfathers words were to a brit that told him that "You know y we're over sexed? probably cuz u just can't please your women. u know y were over paid? cuz most of us agree that we really would rather not be fighting your war ...

I also heard that when taunted with the over sexed, overpaid, and over here jibe, US servicemen were heard to reply that the Brits were
"under sexed, underpaid and under Eisenhower!"

:mad: >RANT START<:mad:
NB.I am Swedish and have no interest in claiming to be on the side of the 'victors' or 'losers'.

TheSecond World War was a horrible mistake that could have been avoided.

If hear one more person claiming that 'The Americans Won The War" or "The Battle of Britain won the War" or "Such and Such an incident/person/political decision/aircraft/tank/gun/atom bomb/fairy cake won the war" I will scream.

The notion of anyone having won the war is risible. Millions died, and whichever way you look at it, it's a pretty Phyrric Victory) - and for those of you that must  be able to point at one thing and say 'it won the war' then you could do worse than point at Stalin and the USSR. If that non agression pact had actually held (although it was a doomed mistake by Stalin) then it would've been a very different story...
>RANT END<:)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2002, 07:25:54 AM by bounder »

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Speedometer
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2002, 12:20:26 PM »
no doubt!  what's so tough about metric ?

at least it's divisible by tens.
Inches and feet, miles per hour.. it's a tough cookie to swallow if you weren't born into it.
divisions of 12 or 6 or 60.. weird.

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Speedometer
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2002, 02:23:31 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
damn 10 number system, we should have gone with an 8 number system, really are thumbs  fingers? would be much more fun  1-2-4- 8-16-32-64-128-256-512 wow isn't that logic .. why's 10 logic cause you have 10 # counting system i guess..

and after all 8 is based on 1  which is why computers use it .. that's logic in my book .. get rid of the 10 number system!

Stop giveing americans crap about not useing metric ...we do .. how do you think we buy our drugs LOL!

stupid people squeaking about metric what do you know ..... nothing .. kinda like me but at least i'll admit it(while pointing out why your wrong). :rolleyes:

The system computers use is a binary system.  Base 2.  We also have a base 8 (octal), the standard base 10 (decimal) and base 16 (hexadecimal).

Funny thing is that you used the decimal system to try to convince us that a base-8 number system is actually the powers of 2, which in turn is really based on 1.  Interesting theory ;).  In reality, the octal system was developed and based on the binary system, with a 3-bit limitation.  Therefore, you can only have the numbers 0-7 as valid octal numbers.

so, to count the powers of 2 as far as you did in octal you would have:

Just nitpicking :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2002, 02:36:11 PM by jonnyb »