Author Topic: why do people fly the f4u1c and n1k2  (Read 803 times)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
why do people fly the f4u1c and n1k2
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Hmm..Well Chog can rarely outrun (depends on the fuel loadout) Yak9u, it cant turn with it, it cant dive from it (gains usually about 0.1k:s = nothing), it bleeds E quite fast if you have him pulling lots of G:s (which they always do in their great wisdom), it cant outaccelerate, nor outclimb it.

So, if you want to kill hogs, grab a Yak9U.

Damn i miss my MA days, i did only fly few weeks in there after i figured the power of russian planes..

*sigh*

Add: Oh yeah i forgot..it has GREAT clear 360 view, so you can evade EASILY the first jump/snapshot that they always do and keep them in sights. The rear view is fantastic and only blocking obstacle is the vertical stabilizer.

[This message has been edited by Tuomio (edited 04-24-2001).]

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
"...it doesn't require any skill to get kills in a N1K...".

Hogwash.  A lousy pilot is a lousy pilot in any plane.  He doesn't magically become a killer as soon as he straps himself into a N1K.  I bet most players after a complete tour would have pretty well the same K/D ratio no matter what they flew.

As to why I fly it.  I like to turn fight and the N1K is a good turner.  There are better turners though, so the N1K can be beat at that game.  Ask any good Zeke or Spit pilot.  They eat N1Ks for breakfast.  I think most of the complaints come from the Boom and Zoomers and I just don't get it.  You fly a plane that can disengage from a N1K at will.  You control the fight.  If I get into a fight while flying a N1K, I have to stand and fight.  With most other planes you can run..err extend at any time.  If you control the fight and lose, whose fault is that?  If you're faster and get into a turn fight with the N1K, you should lose.  It's certainly not the unbeatable plane people make it out to be...if you use your plane's strengths and not fight on the N1K's terms.

Also, why are the planes that require "skill" the boom and zoom types?  I think it requires a lot more skill to turn fight, then to sneak up on somebody.  

bowser

[This message has been edited by bowser (edited 04-24-2001).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
Yup, when I fly Zeros I loooove N1Ks!! <smack, smack>  Mmm mm, they sure is tasty.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

funked

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
Nothing I like to see more than an N1K who wants to turn with my Spit.  

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2001, 07:15:00 PM »
"You fly a plane that can disengage from a N1K at will. You control the fight"

Umm.. no. This may be true on the very first pass only. Any subsequent pass is almost suicide against a plane that can do a 12g 180 turn and then climb after the zooming plane.. and catch it.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
Heck, I love to see a n1k turn with my f6f.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2001, 07:37:00 PM »

Originally posted by Tac:
Any subsequent pass is almost suicide against a plane that can do a 12g 180 turn and then climb after the zooming plane.. and catch it.

You must be flying against different N1Ks than I have.  I've never seen them do this, at least where I wasn't in some position to either dive away or climb away.  If somebody is pulling a "12g 180 turn," they aren't going to be zooming very long against anything unless they were supersonic at the start.

The N1K has some phenomenal flight characteristics, but it's definitely mortal.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2001, 07:58:00 PM »
"...Umm.. no. This may be true on the very first pass only. Any subsequent pass is almost suicide against a plane that can do a 12g 180 turn and then climb after the zooming plane.. and catch it...."

...Umm...got that on film yet Tac?  Didn't think so.

bowser

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2001, 09:27:00 PM »
will get one for you, it happens to me all the time.

a 420 mph 38 climbing 90 degrees up after diving on a n1k, watch my 6, the n1k is ending his tight turn (which he evaded my dive), then all the sudden his icon range starts to decrease dramatically fast.

Last time I heard the p38 could outzoom the n1k with ease, yet that obscene meatball can turn and climb up to the same alt the 38 climbed. So what's the deal? No loss of E at all in such an extreme turn? did it GAIN E? Does it turn below horizon gaining nearly 200mph during that turn without losing 500ft of alt and then zoom up trading less E per ft climbed than a P38? What then?

The few times I've taken a N1k out Ive been able to climb with 109g10s and nail them at d200 while they are exiting their zoom climb (which they dived on me). Ive only been outrun ONCE, and it was a tiffie. That thing retains an extremely unreal amount of E in the roughest manouvers.

jato757

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2001, 09:32:00 PM »
well, i think its because they are like drugs, cheap, eazy to use and get, and they get ya hi.  

------------------

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Tac:

Film it.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
Why not.