Author Topic: payment options  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Jinx

• Zinc Member
payment options
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 1999, 06:08:00 AM »
I always thought a progressive plan that basically amounted to flat rate over a certain number of hours would be best. Pay $10 /month to get and keep the account, pay $2 for the first 5 hours (covered by the first $10), $1.5 for the next 10 hours, $1 for the next 20 hours, $.5 for the next 40 and ‘free’ after a total of 75 hours if anyone ever play that much.  

Numbers are only examples of  course, but you get the idea.. if you play for more then $65 it would be the same as $65 flat rate.

-Jinx

Strider

payment options
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 1999, 10:01:00 PM »
Well I'm gonna wade in here and post my two cents. I am an avid flite sim enthusiast...translated as, I really like flyin and dien in as realistic a manner as possible. I am always looking for a better sim that will not kill my $ resources. I have a family and cannot afford to pay $2.00 per hour to fly as often as I like to fly. Hell, I started that when AW was hourly and ran up bills I couldn't justify to my wife  
I am for a flat rate that is reasonable, one that would be fair to the developers and also serve to attract more customers just like me; there are a lot of us out there. When last I checked, more customers means more revenue.
I for one am hopeful this is a venture which will last and supplant both AW and WB. Both worthy and venerable predecessors to this new AH sim.

Hip

payment options
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 1999, 04:18:00 PM »
I have played both AW and WB for sometime.  Granted I did things a little backwards by starting out with WB.  I did eventually cancel my WB account in favour of AW.  This decision did involve the greater cost of WB but only indirectly.

It is my OPINION that the pressure of being on the clock in a pay as you play scenario negatively affects the games community overall.  Instead of keeping one eye my six and the other on the clock in order to squeeze out the maximum bang for my buck, AW gives me time to breath and invest in the community aspect of the game.  Taking a newbie up for a tour is something that I now enjoy doing and is almost always a two way learning experience.  I can’t remember anyone having that kind of time for me in WB

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t pay more for a better game, but I will never jump in to the pay as u play pressure cooker again.

My two cents, keep the change.

------------------
Hip

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
payment options
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 1999, 07:42:00 PM »
Hip,

To be honest the pay per hour scheme never affected our unit.  We would spend at least a 1/2 hour after our squad nite talking about stuff while in the tower!  Personally, I never felt a real squeeze to hurry up with something just because that next hour was going to rack up another $2.00.  And let me point out that I've only recently started making a good amount of money which happened after I left WB.  Also, 3 of our pilots are Russian, one living in St.Petersburg, the other two in distant Kazakhstan!

Why I left WB was because the price I was paying for was not worth the product.  I know HiTech & Pyro's track record, and I'll be ready to dish out the bills per hour when they get going with AH.  Nothing beats quality products in the long haul.
ingame: Raz

-0z-

payment options
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 1999, 03:21:00 PM »
I'd personally love to see a flat rate.  Some incentive to come over from WB would be nice, and I think a competitive price would be the best of all.

-0z-
<SPECTRE>

Bad Omen

payment options
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 1999, 05:41:00 PM »
How about everyone gets to fly for free, just get ads to pay for it all??

You know, Yahoo could buy the P38L wings, put a big "Yahoo!" across them(didn't I see a picture of this option already?). Kellog pays extra for the B-17: Corn Flakes across the top, Rice Krispies on the sides.

Well it was a thought.
;-);-);-)

Bad Omen
The Royal Knights

Offline dogftr

• Zinc Member
payment options
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 1999, 03:49:00 AM »
 I remember all this "keep the riff raff out" nonsense from the opening days of the ACA.

What can these quake dweebs do to you. Ack star in a b25, force a collision, Say dumb things on the radio buffer..... Gee wait thats already happening. It could be that its the guys who CAN afford the $2 per that are the quake birds.

Offline Jinx

• Zinc Member
payment options
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 1999, 06:40:00 AM »
I may well be wrong on this, but I think that paying, even less then $2, per hour to play will mean that most have to show a level of commitment to feel that it is worth while. There will always be the few exceptions who think that just messing with the serious players is well worth $2 an hour of course. The other problem with flat rate is that there is no way to ‘force’ anyone to stop using server resources when not being active, why bother logging of just because you have to eat dinner..? The Arena risk getting turned in to a chat room with the possibility to fly.

I think paying per hour is a Good Thing but that a progressive rate would work well, see my post above.

-Jinx

[This message has been edited by Jinx (edited 08-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jinx (edited 08-02-1999).]

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
payment options
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 1999, 10:13:00 AM »
Holy Geez....please don't get that other guy confused with me!

Y'all know I'm a Realist!

------------------
-Rebel 487th Lil' Bastards
"You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be."
--Ernest Hemingway
"You rebel scum"

dobbs-

payment options
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 1999, 08:39:00 PM »
A flat rate please.
I have had a big moral delema with WarBirds in the past, (do I fly this weekend or eat?), I would be more inclined to pay a flat fee at the begining of the month, rather than saying- "oh I think I'll keep my bill down this tour".

I fly online because I usually have fun, but not if I'm stressed out about money. Folks in my squad have had to quit for periods of time due to lack of money and thats really a shame. This is where you come to forget your daily problems and have fun.

I feel a flat rate would keep coustomers loyal-----hell, that's why I want out of WarBirds so bad!

------------------
Dobbs-
1ST Leiutenant
22ND F/B GROUP

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
payment options
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 1999, 12:44:00 PM »
I see people posting on AGW who claim to spend $100, $200, and more a month on WB.

I have a WB Plantinum account.  And I have to work overtime to keep it.

I wonder about the folks that can afford to pay that much to fly, and wish I was one of them.

It is pretty obvious to me that the more time you spend online, the better your ability becomes.

I can't afford $100 a month for unlimited.

I can't afford $50 a month for Unlimited.

I could do $30 A month for unlimited, but its tight.

I do want the company that makes the best, most realistic WWII Technology Aircraft Sim to stay and bussiness and prosper, and add Arenas and Scenarios, and Aircraft and IMPROVE and Everything.

I am willing to pay what I can afford for a good product.  Price it out of my range, and I will have to suffer with the best that I can afford.

Now, Pyro said that they aren't posting their price structure yet, so I don't have a clue what it will be.

I Know that $2.00 an hour is to much to pay to disco in a bomber.

$2.00 an hour is too much to be a dar operator.

Here is a basic Idea that I have proposed on AGW and the iEN/iMOL newsgroup.

This is no means a Fixed and Firm Idea, just a basic suggestion to build on.

For say $15.00 per month 10 Hours

For Say $20.00 per month 15 Hours.

For $25.00 per month 20 Hours.

For $30.00 per month 25 Hours.

If you Pay $15, its $2.00 for every hour over.
If you pay $20, its $1.75 for every hour over
If you pay $25, its $1.50 for every hour over
If you pay $30, Its $1.00 for every hour over.

$.50 to be a DAR operator or Fly the Heavy Buffs.  I hate to start climbing to alt in my Buff and Disco before I reach the target.  Depending on Where I'm going I just wasted some money with no results.

This would encourage people to do DAR, and Fly the BUFFS which are important to strategy.

Now another thing you could do with BUFFS is allow an AIRSTART away from everyone at SAY 20K Ft alt.  then you wouldn't waste the time climbing, but gives no one a chance to shoot you down while you climb, and I don't think anyone would go for that.

What does this do, It encourages people to pay more upfront because they get a reward (less cost if you go over your time limit.)

The people who sign up are encouraged to go over their time because it doesn't dig as deep into their wallets if they do.

Hitech gets more money up front because it is better to by the best package.

People will fly more cause it doesn't hurt as bad, and Hitech gets more money.

People who don't have the time to fly, can get a cheaper package, and not get gouged to deeply.

Everybody is HAPPY!!!

And people who want to fly $200 a month can still do it!!!

Of course this is based on WB, but its the model I have to work from.

As I said this is a basic Idea, and can be improved upon.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Strider

payment options
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 1999, 09:58:00 AM »
I see your point and can identify with your circumstances but, I would rather see a flat rate which everyone can live with; especially the developers! I propose a $29.95 per month flat rate, and if that works for everyone I would be glad  
I have seen concerns posted here about kids and resource wastage, IMO, these are concerns that will always be around. The kid issue is a bit discriminatory as unless there are age restrictions, anyone ought to be able to fly. As it will not be a game like quake, and require a steep learning curve, the "kids" will not wanna stick around.

skypi

payment options
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 1999, 09:03:00 AM »
I think strider and downtown make a very good point, you cant expect loyal, long term flyers at a site unless you provide the right atmosphere. There is definately a large market out there for a full featured sim with the pilots in mind. I would argue there is none at this point that considers longevity of members over price that keeps up with technology. Janes World at War site promises this but again pricing is still vague. I have been a member of Warbirds four times now and just quit again over the outrageous cost of enjoying yourself for a few evennings a week. I think we all feal we are ripped off when we are paying more for flying than putting gas in our cars every month! I dont care how much money you make its using people. Pay 12 dollars a month and watch movies till your eyes fall out on the movie channel, thats reasonable and loyalty building pricing.

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
payment options
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 1999, 09:36:00 AM »
Skypi, I can see where you're coming from and sympathize with your position, but there's one flaw in the Movie Channel analogy. It doesn't make any direct difference to the Movie Channel after you pony up your fee whether you're watching the channel or not. They use the same resources to broadcast to one user or one hundred million. On the Net, each connected user adds to the resource burden imposed by the content/service provider and increases the provider's costs of doing business.

Now the more users you have, the smaller the incremental added cost for each user (and user 102 costs less than user 101, who in turn costs less than user 100). However, there is still a cost to the vendor, however small, for each connected user. This makes it more difficult to achieve profitability with a flat rate model, absent another revenue stream (such as advertising).

Price does make the market, but I just don't know that a highly realistic (thus high-learning-curve) WWII flight sim can expect to achieve the critical mass needed to be consistently profitable with flat-rate pricing. Getting good at flying a WWII aircraft in RM is hard work, which will turn off a percentage of this instant-gratification culture in which we live. Then too, there is still (though fading) stigma associated with spending a lot of time playing computer games, which further suggests it'll be a long time (if ever) before ACM simming becomes as popular as golf or bowling.

However, what might be a possible ancillary revenue stream is for HTC to pursue commerce partnerships with hardware manufacturers (system and component vendors, especially the types like Crossline, Adamant, et al, DSL vendors, companies like Guillemot and Hoffman wanting to build relationships with an international customer base, the guy building really hot stuff in his garage who can put up his own Web site but might not be able to afford e-commerce entry costs or otherwise attract traffic, etc.). They could sell the stuff through a link or a commerce site, and receive a smallish fee for each referred sale (Amazon does this with e-business partners, including the local classical music station here in Cleveland).

If I were a system vendor, I know I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a "cockpit-in-a-box" geared to the hardcore simmer who might want an afforable high-performance option that would free up the "full-featured" PC in the den for use by the family, thus promoting domestic tranquility.   I'm thinking high-end Celeron or midrange PIII coupled with 2 USB ports, maybe 2-3 PCI slots for non-Winmodem, video, sound, no removable media drive *at all*, 17" or 19" monitor and low-end speakers (even the less expensive stuff sounds pretty good these days). If you could hammer the price low enough while preserving a sustainable margin, and bndle it with a range of flight control options (simple stick through full HOTAS) they'd sell like hotcakes, at least within a limited market segment.

Flathat

T2^

payment options
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 1999, 10:24:00 AM »
I fly both AW and WB and I have to say that the flat pricing rate of AW has one big advantage over $/hr of WB. It allows you to  take your time. It has been my experience in WB that most pilots are unwilling to wait around more than 5-10 min for a briefing or to get organized and this is understandable considering time is money. But in AW this is not the case you don't have the feeling of urgency to get right up into the fight. This allows for greater organization and in my opinion adds to the game in a way WB can never hope to achieve as long as they charging by the hour. I personally think for this reason WB is more of an instant action game were AW caters more to organized mission and squadrons and is why I fly solo in WB and with a squadron in AW. I hope AH takes this into account when they decide on a pricing plan because money can have a strong effect on the atmosphere of the game. It would really be a shame to see them come out with a great game and have it turn into another fighter duel just because no one could afford to take the time that is needed to organize large missions.

T2^