Author Topic: Seriously.....  (Read 232 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Seriously.....
« on: September 01, 2002, 03:35:09 PM »
Lag, CTD's, HO champions, Suicide dweebs, monotony of certain aircraft, buggy features (strats/HQdar), lack of real strat, bad attitudes...   I'm beginning to wonder if AH is worth the cost.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2002, 03:37:27 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Demosthanese

• Zinc Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 03:43:45 PM »
Is there something you want HTC to do about it?

My suggestion, start/join a squad.
Take a look at the DJO. Perhaps they could be persuaded to start a division that is devoted to AH. They have 1354 members, I am sure some of them would be willing to play AH. THis will solve some of the issues. Get a base/broadband connection. THat takes care of lag.

CTD's HO Champions, I have no idea what those are.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Seriously.....
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 04:57:02 PM »
Originally posted by Demosthanese
Is there something you want HTC to do about it?

My suggestion, start/join a squad.
Take a look at the DJO. Perhaps they could be persuaded to start a division that is devoted to AH. They have 1354 members, I am sure some of them would be willing to play AH. THis will solve some of the issues. Get a base/broadband connection. THat takes care of lag.

CTD's HO Champions, I have no idea what those are.

I'm in a Squad, we've been doing this for about 6yrs, I may see if I can draft and agreement with these DJO folks, good idea, an influx of significant numbers of members devoted to "flight sims" as opposed to Quake with wings could make a difference.  As for your other suggestions... well, I've been at this for a very long time, thanks for the effort though.
Tumor

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 05:27:01 PM »
I dunno bud.  The only thing that really pisses me off is getting gangbanged by 6 or 7 guys that apparently have nothing better to do than jump into whats already a 2 on 1.

Getting to the point where the question I ask before I log in is "Do I want to fly the LA-7 today?".  If the answer is no, I go do something else.

Offline Demosthanese

• Zinc Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 05:39:00 PM »
BTW, their Allied forces division plays WWII online, which has some similarities with AH. 115 Active members in the allied forces.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Seriously.....
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 11:51:58 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I dunno bud.  The only thing that really pisses me off is getting gangbanged by 6 or 7 guys that apparently have nothing better to do than jump into whats already a 2 on 1.

Getting to the point where the question I ask before I log in is "Do I want to fly the LA-7 today?".  If the answer is no, I go do something else.

Ya Urchin I know the feeling.   I don't fly it, but I hate having to spend so much time killing them.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 04:01:19 PM »
La-7s are my nemesis.

Spits and N1K2s can at least be out run.  P-51s climb and accelerate poorly, and don't turn too well.

La-7s?  They do it all.  I have yet to come up with an effective anti-La-7 tactic.

To address the aircraft monotany there needs to be a real reason for players to select aircraft other than the top 4 or top 10. Can you guys think of a reason?  I'm all out of ideas.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 05:51:17 PM »
There aren't any real reason for people not to fly the 'best' planes.  

Heck, there are really only two, possibly three reasons anyone flies a plane anyway.

1.  They like the plane.  By this I mean outside of the game.  Personally, I've always like the 109 and 190 (and the P-47 and P-38).  I never cared to much for the Japanese stuff, and I didn't even know the U.S.S.R. had an air force until I started playing Aces High (yea, thats a slight exageration).

2.  The plane performs better than other planes in the pilots area of choice.  If the performance in the area of choice is roughly equal, things like speed and firepower play a role in the decision.  This would be why you see quite a few more N1K2s than C202s.  Both planes turn about the same, but the N1K2 is faster and accelerates better, plus it has about 10 times the firepower.

3.  And this may really only be a corrollary to 2.  People will pick the best plane for the job at hand.  This is why you'll usually find me in a P-47 or P-38 when it comes time to go Jabo stuff.  

The reason the La-7 and N1K2 are so popular is because of number 2 (and or 3).  I think the reason that the P-51 and Spitfires are so popular is a mix of 1 and 2, with 1 probably playing a larger role than 2.  

Other planes are mainly used because of reason 1.  

There is no real reason to fly any plane other than the La7 or Spit/N1K2 unless you simply want to fly it.  Those planes are the 'best' at what they do.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 06:29:21 PM »
Urchin,

That is all true and self evident.

The trick is to come up with a workable gameplay mechanism that gets players to fly a variety of different aircraft, even though the access to the P-51D, Spitfire Mk IX, N1K2, La-7, Spitfire Mk V, P-38L, Typhoon, Fw190D-9, F6F-5 and Bf109G-10 remains unhindered.

Something that really makes people want to use the other aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2002, 07:15:31 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
The trick is to come up with a workable gameplay mechanism that gets players to fly a variety of different aircraft, even though the access to the P-51D, Spitfire Mk IX, N1K2, La-7, Spitfire Mk V, P-38L, Typhoon, Fw190D-9, F6F-5 and Bf109G-10 remains unhindered.

Something that really makes people want to use the other aircraft.

if you com eup with a system, write a book and get rich, psychologists and leaders of all sorts have been trying to do this for ages... (modify behavior).

it really boils down to..... .... people...

dweebs are dweebs.... i want people to stop ganging, but there's nothing (external) that anyone can do about it apparently...

i've flown every plane the game has to offer to at least understand the ride... i could be, and have been, successful in any plane (but... my system prevents me from using certain planes in an evironment where they'd be successful).

i now fly an la7 for one simple reason...  can usually run down the inevitable runners, it allows me a little wiggle room from the inevitable hordes and it can pretty much hold its own against any plane 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 - plus it cranks the whining about la7's up real loud...

:D

unfortunately the best place to see what you're wanting is *not* the MA - it's the CT, just sad that the CT is relatively under used, which boils down to the..... people.

it takes skill to be effective in the "crappy" ENY planes... and those who can, certainly don't need the perks...

perhaps lowering eny values of the top 10 (or 5 or 4 or 7, whatever) planes to a relative 0 where no matter how many kills you get, you're simply not gonna earn any perkies.

dweebs are as dweebs do.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Demosthanese

• Zinc Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 07:51:47 PM »
Limit the rides a player can use to how long they have been in. Get rid of perk points altogether. The ME-262 has the highest perk value, so convert that to 1 year. A player must have membersip for one full year before (s)he can fly the 262.

190s maybe only a month or two, but you get the idea. The better the plane, the longer one must play. Killing a 262 will not let you get that ride any sooner.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2002, 08:00:33 PM »
Yea, that makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure it would help expand the population.  

"MOTD:  Since you are new, you can only fly the C202 for one (1) month.  As soon as such time has passed that you are deemed not to be a newbie, you will be allowed access to the best planes in the game.  As it is right now, only the pilots with the most experience have access to the best planes in the game, and the worst pilots have to make due with the worst planes too."

That'd go over real well, I'm sure.

Offline Demosthanese

• Zinc Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2002, 08:02:22 PM »
Ok, fine. The only way to earn perks is to actually complete objectives. IE: capture a base, bomb something, not furball.

Edit: Shooting down bombers and C-47s will earn small amounts of perk.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2002, 08:21:04 PM »
Just what would that accomplish?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Seriously.....
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2002, 08:44:30 PM »
regardless of how perk planes are accumulated they have never been nor will the be an incentive to fly certain planes.

The 262 is 200 points how long do think it takes for a guy flying an la7 to get 200 perks?

Especially a new guy?

above 6 k lagg7s can been beaten,  above 12 they can be whupped.

Spits and Nikis are slow.

The p51 is the most killed plane in AH. You could perk the la7 then you would get more 51s, more spits, and more nikis.

When the chog was perked it had nothing to do with the planes performance. People flew it for the hispanos. That was all. It got nearly 20% of the kills in ah.

The la7, the 51,  the niki and the spit on their own get no where near the percentage of kills the chog did.

There is no reason to try and force people to fly planes they dont want. The only thing to do would be to have an rps. But in ah we dont have the planes that are needed to make a a decent rps. There are to many holes throughout the war years that the squeaking would never end. Alot of folks would most likely quit ah over it.

The one thing thats always missing in these types of games is an incentive to survive. This would get rid of the suicide dweebs but increase the likelyhood of gangbangs. People would seek out the easy kills just to stay alive. It would create a timid main of high alt climbs and runners. The fast planes would dominate such an arena.

Gangbanging will always be a problem. Folks want to get kills and get umm quick. 1 bad guy and 30 friendlies will = atleast half the friendlies chasing that bad guy. Folks want to get kills.

Theres 400 guys in the main all looking to kill. It may be a herd mentality but thats how it is. theres no way to condition a certain behavior into people. You cant make them fly the way you want.

Except the main for what it is. A huge meat grinder of fast spawns, fast kills and even faster deaths. Theres no honor in it. It has nothing to do with respect or any of these concepts. Its about kill, die and do it again.

All you people who claim to want something different never translate their whines into action. The same thing they squeak about in the main keeps umm coming back like everyone else.  Its all about the action.

Either you can accept that and see it for what it is you you can make yourself miserable. I try to keep this in mind but at times I let things get to me as well. Somethings are just beyond your control.

The ct tried offer an alternative. Settings and planesets there are tweaked and retweaked to satisfy the reasons folks claim they dont fly there. Well you all never show up. Events like snapshots and tod run several times a week and theirs always room for more folks and squads. We have Historical based scenarios that always have slots available.

People are just a bit schizophrenic when it comes to the main. They love when its treats umm right but the second they chewed up in the grinder they squeak and blame everyone else.

Theres a mission arena on the horizon here in AH. Lets see how many of you actually fly there. You will blame the settings, the lack of your favorite plane, then ultimately you'll blame the lack of other folks flying there. You will continue in the main and you will blame everyone else when it doesnt go your way.

That just how it is. Its not a war, its not ww2, its not your personally dueling arena. Take what your given if you dont like then move along.

Yup its that simple.