Author Topic: Have a SBLive?  (Read 136 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« on: September 12, 2002, 02:56:08 PM »
From: http://arstechnica.com/guide/building/bios/bios-1.html

15M - 16M Memory Hole/Memory Hole

Options: Enable, Disable
This should always be disabled for modern systems. In the old days, ISA cards used the 15th megabyte for their own purposes. Modern ISA cards don't need this (EISA or PNP-ISA) and neither do PCI cards with one major exception -- Sound Blaster PCI128 and Sound Blaster Live cards like this to be enabled. It essentially removes 1MB of your RAM, so consider replacing the sound card instead. The SB16 emulation of those two cards is the business here -- don't
install it and this shouldn't be a problem. Nevertheless, it's another
suspect for crashes associated with the Sound Blaster. To replace SB16 emulation, try using VDMSound, which gives emulated sound for DOS programs in NT4, 2000, and XP, and doesn't need any special drivers.
-------------------------------

Some time ago, Nuttz suggested I disable SB16 emulation.  I did and the instances of dropped vox immediately went down.  Makes sense, eh? :)

curly

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 04:04:12 PM »
<-disable SB16 emulation
Errm, Ok, but where/how do I do that ?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 04:58:48 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
<-disable SB16 emulation
Errm, Ok, but where/how do I do that ?

system folder, saw.

curly

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 05:14:24 PM »
Curly, are the only problems you had just crashes? I have a SBLive Xgamer and don't have any CTD's or lockup problems but at times I do see little mini freezes when there are an abundance of audio events.

Could this be my problem with not being able to use FFB in my analog gameport CH gear?

'98SE user here

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 05:27:21 PM »

Thank you :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 06:17:05 PM »
Yea Curly, and I heard this from a Verizon head tech. We couldn't get my DSL to work properly for about 6 months, after calling everyday for 6 months it got booted up the ladder. The head Tech found out i had some knowledge of computers so he was very comfortable using me and my comp as a guinie pig:)

Seams the 16 bit emulation is for older Dos programs and it was porking my DSL connection and sound. How? why? I am clueless But anyone with Verizon DSL (USB) you need to disable it.

NUTTZ

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 07:20:27 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Curly, are the only problems you had just crashes? I have a SBLive Xgamer and don't have any CTD's or lockup problems but at times I do see little mini freezes when there are an abundance of audio events.

Could this be my problem with not being able to use FFB in my analog gameport CH gear?

'98SE user here

The problem I had was vox would stop working 3-6 times per 2 hour session.  Pretty frustrating.  After disabling SB16, it is a rare event.

My guess is that reactions with game software would be unpredictable - especially since the game software (AH) interacts with sound.

curly

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Have a SBLive?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2002, 05:05:32 AM »
Thx for this info Curly, would like to try this but admittedly I'm not a tech head. How might I go about saving it  in the event it's removal has negative affects on other games/programs?