Author Topic: How to master the Hurricane  (Read 301 times)

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
How to master the Hurricane
« on: September 16, 2002, 04:44:35 PM »
Right now I'm flying the Hurri almost exclusively, and getting a K/D just above 1. Could probably be more if I'd fly a bit more conservative but more importantly, right now I haven't devised a real way to use its strongpoints and evade its weaknesses. To be short, I don't know how to properly fly a Hurri...

Any experienced Hurri drivers out there who are willing to share  some tricks of the trade?

Thanks

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 04:53:56 PM »
I am definately not a Hurri pilot, but I do fly it for base defense sometimes...I fly it like I fly my Hellcat. You have to keep up your speed and only turn if you have to. It is a VERY slow plane so when flying it...try to make the faster planes turn so you can get the advantage and eventually kill them. It's only strong points are the turning and the guns...everything else is below mediocre. Just think of what would happen if you dove on the enemy...if you turned or whatever...so just think ahead and think of a speed that you would think you would be around and just say do you have enough maneuvering speed after that? Prolly not because it is such a slow plane. Just think conservatively and try to keep your speed up at all times and DO NOT turn unless you have to! I hope this helps !

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 04:59:58 PM »
Thanks, it certainly does help. (Throws reckless agressive flying style out of the window)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 07:28:49 PM »
Don't be afraid to HO people trying to BnZ you.  Those quad hispanos combined with the hurricanes excellent turning ability can tear them apart.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 02:25:50 AM »
Thanks, innominate, I'll remember that.

S!

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2002, 08:40:45 AM »
When I fly the Hurri-C, I try to fire the guns in pairs rather than all four at once.  The only time I do all 4 is if I'm going for a quick snap shot (or if its an HO situation).  I set the convergence for the primaries at 350 and the secondaries at 250 so that I get a good spread.  You don't need to have all 4 set at the same point.  A pair of Hispanos will bring down most planes quickly, and having differential convergence allows you to fire one set at planes at one distance, and the other set at targets at a different distance, so that you're maximizing your convergence options.  The spread also comes in handy when you're in panic mode and just need to carpet the sky with shells.

Of course, this only works if you're flying with the Knights.  When you fly against the Knights, using this advice will cause an instant CTD and reformatting of your hard drive, and your social security number will be transmitted to various credit card companies.  Then your house will burn down and you'll be left destitute and alone.  So don't use my advice if you're not a Knight.

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2002, 09:51:48 AM »
I'm of the opinion that turning in a Hurricane is the best use of it.  But keep in mind, HeLLcAt's K/D is much better than mine.  It turns really well, better than a Spitty in my experience.  

The best way to 'master' any plane is to learn it's weaknesses and avoid situations where they can be exploited against you.  The Hurri is a slow bird, so use this to your advantage.  Learn when to turn away from a BnZer (unless they are HO with ya, especially in a IID).  Try to get on the deck where they have to pull up sooner or auger.   Woe be it to the Pony or even LA-7 (yes, LA-7 - get em slow and they're a hand full for their pilot) that continually tries to turn with you.

Be careful diving in a Hurri.  Seems to me like this bird will compress pretty quick.  Also, pulling up from a dive can rip the wings off if you're not careful.

Record your fights.  You can learn a lot by changing to the seat of the guys that shoot you down.  If you find a particular plane is shooting you down a lot, fly it for a while and learn its weaknesses.

And finally, keep gofaster's last bit of advice in mind.  This only works if your a Knight.  :D

Glove

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2002, 11:38:51 AM »
IMHO, the biggest problem you will encounter in the Hurri is getting ganged because you dont have the speed to outrun anyone.  When I am in the hurri I try to stay on the edge of furballs.  Always keep your eye on how many friendlys and how many nmes are around.  If you dont you will find yourself in a 4 on 1 and no way to escape. :(

As previously stated in this thread the hurris strenghts are guns and is ability to turn inside of just about anything in the plane set.  Though you have to beware of a good Zeke driver hangin you out to dry.

Most sticks in the MA are aware of the hurris painfully slow speed.  So they will try to BnZ ya to death.  One way I combat this is to allow the nme to get real close on my 6, turning out of the way just in the nick of time.  Start your turn slow, just enuf to keep them out of a good firing soulition.  Then increase your turn radius as the nme gets closer.  If they are not very experenced they will get greedy and will start to follow you into the turn before breakin off.  If you can get them to follow you a time or two you can cause them to beed enough E to allow a good snapshot, or even get them floppin for an easy kill.

Hope some of this helps,  I really enjoy the hurri.  hope you will to.