Author Topic: Please please please fix the 88mm ack!  (Read 787 times)

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Please please please fix the 88mm ack!
« on: April 29, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
This is getting really old.....

More than 10 miles away from CV, I start seeing the acks firing on me. I do a 90 degree turn and start to move away.

10 seconds after levelling the plane on the new heading, a 88mm killed my engine. From 10 miles. In real life the Ack gunners would still be CORRECTING their aim to my new heading, and the rounds would be exploding on my previous heading's path.

This is getting old. Please PLEASE, get a realistic 88mm ack.

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 04-29-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »
Seconded  

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

lazs

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
yeah, it should be a lot tougher to get thru the cv ack umbrella.
lazs

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
10 mins flight, CV far far away, first BOOM, ping ... BOOOM. Two times in an hour, what a fun ...

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
  Agreed.

Carlos

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »

Originally posted by MANDOBLE:
10 mins flight, CV far far away, first BOOM, ping ... BOOOM. Two times in an hour, what a fun ...

Been there, suffered that, many times.
Even actually the AAA is not so acurate.
The main concern of Navy fleets is their air defense. If they could model in RL a 88mm, or even a SAM, as accurate as this, the problem is gone.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Sorry disagree here totally. Im not getting hit at all in CV ack. Yes ack is reaching 15k but unless your asleep or on auto pilot, you wont get hit. very small movement of the stick and ack wont touch you.

I was 15k over a Knight CV a few nights ago in a p51. Took no hits and had some great fights against La7s & 190s that came up a4. Fighting was intence, but CV ack never hit me.

It also should be stronger from 5k under, i take little if no hits at this alt. Only when im 1.5 from CV at 2k do i start takin hit.

I know some are just to lazy to move the stick a bit while 15k over CV, on auto with feet up watchin TV, but dont spoil the fun for the rest of us whining about nothing.

Dog out...........

AG Sachsenberg

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
Wardog I would like to see you fly thru it and film it please.  Not that I don't believe you it is just we all have experienced the 1 ping from mars distance.  I on a number of occasions have been killed by 1 ping ack, and of course below the 5k threshold as well.  Ack is making the game boring IMO, along wiht 3 flight models flying around.  

------------------

[This message has been edited by AG Sachsenberg (edited 04-29-2001).]

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Besides the fact that the ack corrects for your evasives instantly, and besides that the ack has zero travel time, and in spite of the fact that it seems to hit fighters more often then bombers.  Did I mention it can see through clouds and in the dark?

Why is it that the ack hits me from so far out that the puffs of black are the first signs theres an NME fleet nearby.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Your right about Ack finding you through clouds.The fight i mentioned above started in clouds the black puffs all arounds me, so i called in the CVs position to the rest of Bishland and continued my fight, Was a fantastic fight. I did roll wing over to get exact position of CV looking through the clouds, but never saw it till the fight got low.

Kilt a Zeke, Spit,La7 and had a very long fight with a 190D9, turned out it was Mass.

Like i said, never took any ack hits from CV. I like it the way it is now and suggest you dont fight in it if ya dont like it. We lost our night time fights for allmost 9 moths because of whining, id hate to lose CV ack because of it to.

Dog out...................

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
For every one time someone gets killed by CV ack, they've flown through it untouched 10 times.

Sorry, but ack is not too deadly... if anything it isn't deadly enough.  There is a damn good reason people hit carrier groups with massive ammounts of planes.  They were hoping that just a few would get through.  And fighters didn't even go there... friendly or enemy.

Right now a B-17 or a Lanc can kill a cv 9 out of 10 times flying solo.  A group of fighters can fly around with relative impunity.  So someone occasionally gets destroyed... such is life so close to an enemy CV.

AKDejaVu

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
There has to be a difference in the way it works on different systems. I too can't get close no matter how wild my evasives on occasion.

No, I have never flown through it in a fighter"untouched". At minimum I get pinged and minor dammage.

I think there is something other than what was planned going on here. Some seem to be able to fly through it with impunity, others cant. In the previous version of the ack it could be doged, but I have never been able to dodge it succesfully in a fighter yet.

Flying over it in a buff I can just do some mild zigzagging and never get pinged.

I just try to avoid it. Not whinning here, if that is the way they want it fine. I learn to live with it.

Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »

Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

What I said has nothing to do with what I am experiencing.  I've been hit (never survived) several times, but I've also been missed several more.

I've seen groups of 10 planes hovering at a CV for 15 minutes.  1 of them was destroyed by ack (and boy did that guy whine about flak).  That tells me that things aren't quite as bad as what I am reading here.

If some people do have it worse, then I believe it should go to the bug report forum.. and film should be made to support what you are seeing.

AKDejaVu

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
who cares about who gets hit or not?

I fly in a 109 10 miles away from a fleet. I change heading 90. The acks follow my path  and my change of course MILIMETRICALLY and INSTANTANEOUSLY, when they should take a minimum of 1 minute between readjusting the aim, starting to shoot again, and the round to arrive 10 miles away.

As it is now fleet ack is a joke. We have future tellers in the CV complement.

This is said to be a realistic sim. Then the acks should be realistic. As they are now, they are a realistic..joke.

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 04-29-2001).]

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
manouvering fighters should be near invulnerable to flak at distances beyond icon range

sorry but right now ack has the same chance of hitting a heavy bomber, in a level bomb run on the carrier as it does of hittingb a manouvering fighter this is *wrong*

Speed and variability of heading should make a differencein flak lethality

a lancaster going 250 knots level to bomb the fleet should be an EASY TARGET. Right now the lancaster almost *never* gets killed

thats wrongg, ack should be more lethal versus that type of target.

right now a friendly, engaged in a dogfight with an enemy at less than 100 yards.. ie not some bnz crap but areal fight, gets pinged by ack, boom. thats WRONG.

i also think that fleet gunners should not get range info on enemy aircraft, only plane type and color.