Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 1245 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Monitors
« on: March 19, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
AH Has had monitors with mute and warn priv's since December.

They are accountable to HTC only and will remain anonymous.

The reasons we chose not to disclose who they are is to allow them to play and not get stuck in the middle of a hassle like the AKSeaWulf thread.

Search past topics on complaints of channel 1 usage to see why monitors exist today.

With any community some type of enforcement of rules is always needed, monitors are 1 of the methods we use to enforce our arena rules. And if you look at what powers the monitors have, administering a 10 min mute is not much power.

HiTech

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
 Sounds good to me HT.

Now, who's up for shooting my butt down in the MA with savage glee?

-Westy

Moose11

Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Well, that clears things up.

Doesn't apply to me, but thanks for letting us know.

AKSeaWulfe

Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
NT

[This message has been edited by AKSeaWulfe (edited 03-20-2001).]

Ice

Monitors
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
Hey Westy...you got a date babe!

------------------
Ice
13thTAS

It's not the Big that kill the Small, but the Fast that kill the Slow!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Monitors
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
I can see the need for them in the extreme sense HT... but you gotta wonder about this one.

I see the need to squelch offensive chatter.  I don't see the need to squelch annoying chatter.  If that was the case, 90% of the pilots flying would be squelched 90% of the time.

Maybe that could be re-itterated to the "monitors".

AKDejaVu

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Monitors
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
Bahahaaaa!  

I've got too much mileage with the 13TAS already  

-Westy

SwampRat

Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2001, 04:44:00 PM »
How about putting out specific rules.  IE: A word list and or specific topic's or attitudes ...or feelings that would warrant a mute.  (see how easy censorship gets out of control?)  Perhaps Wulf should have been muted for saying "dick", but thats not what happened, some KGB member or another got a tad over zealous.  err..less of course it was HTC staff...your game, your rules.  

In otherwords, specificity.  

SwampRat

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2001, 04:46:00 PM »
I would like to have a squelch list that loads automatically on startup.  I never have been big on any "community" (I take it one individual at a time) and being able to never hear from some folks would be a blessing, unfortunately.

This would pretty much cancel out the general rule to monitor as the full time amazinhunks would get pigeon-holed away and no one would ever hear them.

Y

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-19-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by hitech:
AH Has had monitors with mute and warn priv's since December.

They are accountable to HTC only and will remain anonymous.

The reasons we chose not to disclose who they are is to allow them to play and not get stuck in the middle of a hassle like the AKSeaWulf thread.

Search past topics on complaints of channel 1 usage to see why monitors exist today.

With any community some type of enforcement of rules is always needed, monitors are 1 of the methods we use to enforce our arena rules. And if you look at what powers the monitors have, administering a 10 min mute is not much power.

HiTech

HT,

Interesting solution to a problem. I do have a question about it. My question is due to the situation that caused you to reveal the presence of monitors. I am not trying to be difficult about this, I am concerned as to what happened.

My question is just what are the parameters that the monitors have to determine when or who will be muted? I ask this as I think if there are going to be "behavior adjusters" in the arena with the power to impact the customers game play then the customers deserve to know what the limits are. It should not be a mystery or arbitrary decision on the part of a monitor to mute a player. There should be guidelines and it is only proper to let all players know what the rules are. Some terms and words are obvious candidates for muting. What are the other "conditions" for muting?

I am very confused as I was "present" during the situation that spawned this and the other thread about it. I saw nothing that would warrant a muting of either player involved.

If the monitor made the decision to mute one player based on the "country" of the mutee, that is a gross misjudgment based on bias and should be corrected.

If the monitor made the decision based on a perceived "attitude" of the main participants, he (or she) got the wrong one.

If players will be muted for having a "verbal" disagreement about game play then both players should suffer the same fate.

If the muting will be an ongoing thing (and I assume it will) the rules should be posted to everyone. The impacting of a customers game play by a monitor should be based on behaviors that the customer has been allowed to be made aware of and not a "random shot from above".

I sincerely hope you can clear this up for us HT.

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 03-19-2001).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Monitors
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
Wouldn't a permanent squelch list be a more unobtrusive way to handle these problems? I have lobbied for  PSL for quite some time now...surely it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. JMO

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Monitors
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
I take for granted I guess that maybe everyone wasnt raised the same way I was. It is just second nature for myself and several others to show comnmon decentsy. It is many times better to hold your tongue than to spout off at the first urge of anger. Why this is even the issue it is here today is really a sad testament to todays society. But!!! I dont fly AH to spend my energy argueing and bickering like adolescants without correct parental guidance, I came to fly WWII AC and hangout with folks I like

<S> all, its only a game, and life is on the outside of the moniter.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Monitors
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
Haven't you guys thought that maybe "verboten topics" or "illegal words lists" are not the issue at all?

Have you possibely considered that its just possible that HTC is trying to cut down on the totally unnecessary infantile fits of anger on channel 1 ?

It you can't keep it civil, take it to private.

*my first and last words on this issue, so don't bother replying to me farther down the thread*

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Monitors
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
Seawulfe, you got muted for ten minutes. Is it that big a deal to you? You called somebody a dick on channel 1. The other fella may have instigated it. The other guy said he logged soon after. Who knows? maybe that's why he didn't get muted.

I think you are a good guy, but you fell into a trap. You reacted positively to a dogfight you were in, but you let the other guy's negative reaction pull you to his level. Next time try to stay positive, and you won't be the center of this kinda stuff again.

We've all been in a good dogfight, given a <S> and had some moron give us an insult. When they do that, you already won the arguement right then. He's already made an bellybutton of himself and you didn't. Type a   and that will let the rest of the arena know who the moron is and who the good sport is.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
Well these monitors _can't_ be that bad, either that or they're not on when I'm around  

The only muting I ever had was once when I accused Hitech of flying a hacked FE... musta caught him early in the morning before the caffeine/beer/pizza kicked in.