Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Monitors
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
How many of you guys have typed something into the parser, and then deleted it?

I know I have.  I also know that there have been a few cases where I wish that I had.  If I didn't think twice though, there would have been many, many more that I would regret.  If your ire gets too far up, its time to log and cool off a bit, gain some perspective.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Monitors
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
I told myself I wasn't going to reply to the "other" thread mainly because I wasn't there to form an original opinion.

My thoughts on how I behave myself online:

I am who I am and I do not hide behind an alias if possible. Since I was on and quit flying for a while and came back I did have to use an alias, MarkAT instead of Mark because someone else had picked it up.

I speak to others, either through the message buffer or on voice comms in the same manner I would speak to them if I were face to face. No exceptions! I refuse to allow myself to hide behind any annonymity that the internet may provide.

I don't curse and use "colorfull" adjetives attached to my sentences in real life, why would I do so over the internet?

I have found my place in life, I fully realize my own personal worth, I am secure in my manliness so therefore the use of words alluding to fornication, defecation or any body parts are no longer needed.

When I am in a conversation in real life I am embarrassed by those who use "colorful" language not because of a situation it puts me in or my objection to having to hear it, which is considerable, but because of the fact that those same people, many of whom are very bright, begin to appear very ignorant. It's like they lost their vocabulary. I normaly just walk away... I can't always do that if I want to fly much, we are in a "room" together and I would have to quit my personal enjoyment of flying.

I do unto others as I would have them do unto me. A simple and very effective rule to live by regardless of your religion if any. I also beleive that everyone's rights and freedoms end as soon as is starts to infringe on the rights and freedoms of others.

You may not agree with my thinking, but these are and will continue to be the rules that will govern my behavior in an Aces High arena or any other arena I choose to participate in.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
Monitors
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
HighTech I believe you have a default and custom head position saving. As I do believe its almost there to implement a simple code that checks a txt, dat, ini or anything like it where the info on handles that must be squelched when you entering arena. You can update list offline by deleting handles of the list with text editing tool such as notepad and on line you can update the list by using a well known DOT command. I dont think its to difficult for you, and I would really welcome this feature.

<EDIT> I have tiped a long reply in the previos thread but couldnt post it due closed thread,   so just repeating what the guys just said...

<S> all and squik-squik-squelched  

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Monitors
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
So these guys have been on for 2.5 months and we never new it....
Either they are doing their job in a very credible way or the arena is increadibly polite. I think we had an anomoly in this instance.

petrel

Monitors
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
The problem seemed to stem from a warning for ONE thing (language) that was adhered to...... but then muted for another (ummm argument perpetuation?) WITHOUT prior warning to that specific infringement.......

Due to paranoia.... i keep thinking someone with this power would just take any slight excuse and mute you whenever they could if they had some reasoning (squadmates of one party, hate, etc etc etc)...  maybe this board does that to me, dunno  

How about needing 2 confirmed mutes to get it done... An absolute mute by one person could be logged so when it comes flame time here, seeing as they brought it up you can show them exactly why....

AKSeaWulfe

Monitors
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
NT

[This message has been edited by AKSeaWulfe (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Monitors
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
The fact that you have to have monitors is sad if you ask me.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
Dont worry dagfly, well send some your way as soon as u go flat rate at iEN....oh, wait a minute

Y

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-19-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks for taking an effort to clear some of this up HT, but could you be a bit more specific, as to what guidelines they use to mute, any checks on abuse you guys have etc?

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Monitors
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »
WB's has them in the FO arena, and from my limited experience in there, they need them.  That is also sad.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Monitors
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
Silly...

If ya got muted, ya prolly deserved it... or were five secs away from *really* deserving it. If ya didn't deserve it? Then you were probably pretty close to deserving it... and 10 minutes of you giving yer head a shake aint a big deal.

It's sad that we need monitors here, but alas... a five sec scan of the buffer at any odd time tells me it aint that bad an idea. Nay - it tells me that these monitors could be accused of slackin' to a degree bordering on incompetence.

I feel really sorry about all you free speechers out there getting yer precious liberty snatched away from you. Truly sad. Sadder still is when decent folk are forced squelch an entire channel, essentially cutting themselves off from the entire *community*, on account of a few punks. Even *sadder* is that most of these "punks" are adults.

Use yer heads - hold yer tongues. Be men about it. Whatever it is. If you think your being muted was unjustified? Hold your tongue - and be a man about it. Complainin' about monitors says just as much about you as if you hit the send button on yer post right now, marched directly into the MA and launched into an offensive nonsensical tirade. You wouldn't do it. And you should endeavor to keep that same head despite whatever tyranny of gangbanging et al that awaits you there. Simply put, grow up and learn to deal with it.

If you worry about monitors, I reckon you have much more, on a personal level, to be worrying about.

AKSeaWulfe

Monitors
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
The whole post on the UBB could of been subverted had you shown equality in your powers. Instead you chose one party of a two party argument.

The second paragraph is what threw my into my rage. How many times has there been a problem with me before this?

Anyway, it's your game and you can discriminate as you feel fit. Funny, both parties were insulted but only one side was "punished".

Rather than repeat myself, I find it a lot easier to cut n paste...
-SW

Beurling

Monitors
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
Please if your going to this length to calm ch1 down give us a way to turn off all the buffers.

Friendly ,enemy all chat off. Why? This game is fun. Dealing with goofs somedays destroys it.

The guys on your own side can squeak at each other as bad as red vs green.

As a side note what you do not see on ch1 will just come here. Even if you are muted you can still take your arguement to the bbs

EYE

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Monitors
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
Yeah, gadfly is right. My life would not be complete if I didn't hear "killa"'s wonderful oratory in the WB's main for, what? two years? Didn't he finally screw up and harass a woman in the main arena? I think thats how he was finally booted, or the story went.

Could have been much worse though, if they'd have had monitors over there, we couldn't have heard his spew for that two years.

RoadfRash

Monitors
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2001, 10:03:00 PM »
I got a 21" monitor and it dont need a mute! It never talks back! Westy Drop your drawers so I gots somethin bright to shot at, wets end of sight on 10 gauge!