Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Monitors
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2001, 04:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by -towd_:
first a cuss word editor then a squelch now
secret police?

great minds think alike . hitler stalin ect ect ect . now add htc.

bad idea. chearleaders controling what is expressed . cant wait for you to have competition.

Hey towd...it's called Prozac. Ask your doctor about it.

SwampRat

Monitors
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
I agree with Westy on having news updates from Pyro as opposed to him having to deal with issues like this.  But I also respectfully disagree that this is a minor issue.  It's something that was bound to come up, and certainly will again.

People do not like to be "shut-up" or even told to.  Put yourself in any other social gathering at almost any level and imagine someone forcing you to "shut-up" when it's not warranted.  What are you most likely to do?  

There is apparently a need for moderators, although I don't know for the world why with the .squelch command.  I must also say that I think with the official statement that there is a "grey area", there's gonna be more ruffled feathers than many would think, especially now that most know the moderators exist. Not at all trying to cause trouble here, but think about it.  Imagine your local police enforcing "grey" laws.  (Ok sorry, I watch "Cops" too but you get my drift)

I watched ch#1 carefully last night with this moderator issue in mind and I'll tell you, I saw PLENTY of "reasons" IN MY OWN OPINION (very conservative) that warranted a quick mute in comparison to what happened the other night.  Hell there's been a few times I should have been muted, as with most! But it's no big deal till it happens to YOU.

Having moderators without specific guidlines to follow is asking for trouble.  Players not having specific guidlines to follow WITH the presence of moderators is even worse.  I still firmly refuse to believe bias can be avoided and I truly think bias played a huge role in Wulf's mute.

Lastly, if this has to be, then why not shut both off at the onset of "hostilities", it's an easy concept really.  I use the .squelch command as soon as someone really starts to get on my nerves, because I know if I don't, being the hothead I am, I'm gonna bite back.  If I didn't, I'd be muted about 1/2 the time.

Just 2 cents
SwampRat

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2001, 04:29:00 PM »
aren't we talking about not being able to type messages for a very short amount of time or does someone knock at your door and hack your fingers off with a meat cleaver?

As someone else stated earlier, go change your diaper, get your thumb out of your mouth and grow the hell up. There are BIGGER problems in the world than this you paranoid babies

Personally I'd like to see the abusers banded from the GAME - permanently (but that's a $$$ issue). I squelch ch1 95% of the time to avoid having to read the crap. So if I don't answer you there, that is the reason, it's not that I'm upset that you shot me down again  

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

SwampRat

Monitors
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2001, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
go change your diaper, get your thumb out of your mouth and grow the hell up. There are BIGGER problems in the world than this you paranoid babies
Eagler
[/QUOTE

Mass insult and..and..HE SAID THE H WORD!!

MUTE'EM..MUTE'EM (join in guyz) MUTE'EM MUTE'EM.
  (Image removed from quote.)
no really
SERIOUSLY FOLKS

SwampRat

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Monitors
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
 Eeyore! You keep missing the busses out of town. Whats the problem?  Why haven't you hit the road if you don't like the service or the product here? *You* look like the idiot by staying, not the people and company you're constantly slamming.

Swamprat, IMO, I think the whole situation is being made a bit too federal. this situation, and others like it, are not like college students protesting and getting shut down by the national guard. Or being in a public auditorium and being told by the local police to shut up because what you're saying doesn't jive with the party doctrine.

This isn't constitutional. This is a business issue.

What has happened here is nothing more than two customers in a restaraunt being disagreeable and the head waiter having to take care of business because the restaurant owner who hired him includes it in the head waiters reponsibilities.
 I personally don't like to frequent places of entertainment, be they movie theatres, restaurants or other pubs, where it's common for someone to shout out "DICK!", other foul language or worse of all racial crap.

I do not blame HTC at all for what they chose to do or what the person who used the mute did. I'm rather satisfied with thier choice of means to try keep some level of mature decorum in the arena without having to pay a damned babysitter to be on duty 24 hours in there.
 The MA is bad enough with some of the two week trial blithering idiots spouting off.
 Just because a customer paid the door fee doesn't mean they can act anyway they like it and someone pulling some of this crap at a night club, concert or a health club would promptly have thier bellybutton on the asphalt by the house employees.

All IMO of course.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
I don't agree with your comparison to a social situation Swamp Rat.  While there is a lot of social interaction here, users enter into it agreeing to the terms of use put forth by HTC.  And the local "police" will just mute you for 10 minutes, and not beat you with a billy club.

I do like your comparison to COPS though.  Some of the crap I see fly by on Channel 1 reminds me of the white trash guy who tears off his shirt while he screams at 3 cops and then tries to fight 'em as he's wrassled to the ground  

This whole stupid moderator issue has been blown way out of proportion.  Is it possible that the Monitors can abuse their power...sure.  Is it really that big of a deal?  NO.  If you get warned for spouting off, then try this . . . SHUT THE diddly UP!  And if you must, take it to private.  If you press the issue further, even if only slightly, and get muted, it's your own damned fault.

And SW, you got muted for 10 minutes...B.F.D.  Maybe it was a misunderstanding, maybe the monitor was overzealous, maybe Dingy should have been muted too...B.F.D.  Now you know that it wasn't just profanity (not that "dick" is really profane) that got you muted, it was the general attitude.  If you hadn't responded to Dingy's bait in the first place, none of this would have happened.  Less whining, more flying...if he doesn't want to respond in kind to your <S>, so the diddly what?

SOB
...thankful, after re-reading my post, that there's not a profanity filter on the BB  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

AKSeaWulfe

Monitors
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »
SOB, my words have no effect anymore and mean nothing.. I will just point you to a part of Maverick's post (who was there).

"If the monitor made the decision based on a perceived "attitude" of the main participants, he (or she) got the wrong one."

Thank you Maverick.

I just wanted that to be clear.
-SW

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2001, 06:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKSeaWulfe:
"If the monitor made the decision based on a perceived "attitude" of the main participants, he (or she) got the wrong one."

On that I can't agree or disagree...since I wasn't there.

My point was that he didn't just mute you for saying 'dick'.  It was for your bad attitude, percieved or not.  And I guess my point overall is that it really wasn't that big of a deal.  But that's just my opinion, and you know what those are like . . .

SOB

[This message has been edited by SOB (edited 03-20-2001).]
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Monitors
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by -towd_:
first a cuss word editor then a squelch now
secret police?

great minds think alike . hitler stalin ect ect ect . now add htc.

bad idea. chearleaders controling what is expressed . cant wait for you to have competition.

Coming from Mr. Self control himself

G, D, And Run  
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Monitors
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
I will have you know -ammo- that I sent HTC a fruit basket and a bottle of MD 20/20 for Christmas and have BBS monitor rights.

One more crack at our sincere, gentle, fun, meek and understanding good natured friend TOWD, and Ill squelch your bellybutton right the hell off the forum.

You have been warned.

( I gotta make a neat little pop up .gif like you get in the game when they warn you though, cuz this isn't quite as impressive)

------------

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Monitors
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2001, 07:03:00 PM »
I should be a moderator... I mean - if you fail my standards you must be scraping below the bottom of the barrel  

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Monitors
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2001, 07:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
I will have you know -ammo- that I sent HTC a fruit basket and a bottle of MD 20/20 for Christmas and have BBS monitor rights.

One more crack at our sincere, gentle, fun, meek and understanding good natured friend TOWD, and Ill squelch your bellybutton right the hell off the forum.

You have been warned.

( I gotta make a neat little pop up .gif like you get in the game when they warn you though, cuz this isn't quite as impressive)

------------

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Monitors
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKSeaWulfe:

Thats diddlying it!!  You dont get a clue do you!

Know why I responded the way I did??  Cause I dont care for you, Wabbit or Deja and wanted to let you know just how little I care for ya.  THAT was a mistake and Ive admitted it numerous times.  

But lets look at the big picture.  Once you saw the "Whatever", you were all over me and feeding off some of the other players who sided with you like Mav.  To me it was like a gangbang in the arena. You and Mav were chewing out my ass, and here I was realizing how foolish all this was trying to just give it up.  But no. Everytime I tried to end this whole dick comparison you would push the argument just a little bit further by bringing in more useless "facts" or trying to "explain" your points to others.  You just wouldnt give up!

It was either I saw your way or you were going to persist.  

How ironic!  Its been the same way with you and this entire fiasco on the boards!  You consistently badger the entire community with "how you were wronged" and to convince them that you are the victim.  Give it diddlying up and move on!  I've got news for you buddy, theres two victims here.

I am trying to move on from here and I keep seeing my name trashed both on the boards and in the arena.

I was diddlying wrong for typing anything that evening, I should have just ignored you and kept my feelings to myself.  But now try as I might to move on, I am constantly reminded of that evening.  

Now, heres a message to EVERYONE whos contributing to this post.  LEAVE ME OUT OF IT.  I want to move on.

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Monitors
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
Holy.....jeez Dingy.

Welp, that outta bring out the 'Ol inevitable..

Ahhh, yes, better than daytime TV.

--------------

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Monitors
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2001, 07:37:00 PM »
Yup.  As a matter of fact I emailed Pyro asking for the lock.

There have been no new viewpoints and I constantly see my name being brought up.  Kinda old ya know?

-Ding