Author Topic: Thoughts for a Map (submitted to HTC)  (Read 1270 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Thoughts for a Map (submitted to HTC)
« on: September 24, 2002, 10:06:12 PM »
this is the text of what i sent to HTC. We are new to the map making business and are unsure of what's out there being developed (if something similar is in the works let me know). we'd love to hear what all of you think about our idea also.

email to HTC:

I have attached a bmp of the basic plans for a map we the III/Jabostaffel would like to try and make for the MA (possibly).
I was hoping to get some feedback from you regarding the layout and anything else you think is relevant.
I have quite a bit of thoughts about this idea so pleeease bear with me. :)

The layout is designed for optimal equality in countries and gameplay (we hope).. and to be a bit organic in shape.

The legend on the side can help with explaining a lot of what is going on. The base idea was concentric circles, a sea level ocean-type area, a mid-alt desert and farmland, and a high-alt outer rim. Each country will have an equal # of high-alt bases and low-alt bases.

The center was aimed to be something like NDISLES. all islands with medium and small bases scattered throughout. there would be a large field (zone base) on the peninsula by the entrance of the main rivers controlling the strat for each countries islands. There are 2 ports per country in this area, so the TG element should factor in heavily.

The next ring is about 3-6 sectors wide and has 3 rivers about a sector wide running through it. these rivers split each country's homeland about in half. These rivers also travel rather close to HQ. This is so that if 1 country gets down low in bases they have a mobile base to protect HQ... conversely if a country captures the port and corresponding TG near HQ they have the ability to shell HQ. The smaller rivers with the lakes on the end are intended to be too small to get a TG up and down successfully. They are intended to be like fiords with steep (1k possibly) walls. This ring will have varying altitudes (1-4k average) with the intention of mimicking the hills on the MINDANAO map. Zone bases will be spread throughout and there will be vehicle bases similar to the AKDESERT map. there will be a desert type area at the edge of each countrys boundary. The rest of the area will probably be farmland.

The final ring is going to be a high-alt area. All bases will be above 7.5k, and some will be up to 12-15k. the Zone bases in this area will be set back into each countries homeland at least 5 sectors or more. there will hopefully be deep canyons in this area to allow extreme altitude changing fights. part of the reason for this ring is to accommodate the players that like the high altitude fights. Also it is to help protect the mainlands. it will be extremely difficult to keep any of the bases in the lower rings without the corresponding higher elevation bases. Buff (bomber) pilots will also be able to use these bases as a starting point for longer range attacks. Conversely, bomber hunters will get the same high bases to take off from to intercept. Hopefully this will lead to fighter sweeps and an ongoing bomber patrol.

Well that's about it (whew :))!

Remember I'm totally new to this, and this is only a conception of a map. There is a lot to work out yet, but I'd like to get feedback before undertaking a task like this. If there is a map under development that we MA players are not aware of please let me know (I haven't been keeping up on the terrain BBS). Also if this is not the direction you'd like the MA to follow please let me know.

Thank you for your time. I hope this can work out!
<>
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 10:15:06 PM by JB73 »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline spothq

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mbshost.com
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 07:56:44 PM »
Punt!

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 09:22:31 PM »
My thoughts were something like the Large Pacific map that was used in Air Warrior.   Would be more challenging and CV people would have a field day.   Could make for some serious sea battles.  I was thinking about dividing up the map into three sections of equal sizes, thus eliminating the mess with the pizza map.  

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 07:04:22 AM »
wow the PAC map looks really good.

But there is still 1 thing to complain about.
THE SIZE.

IMO a 350 x 350 map would fit perfect. 512 x 512 is way way way to big even at peak times.

Not to speak about off times qith 100 or less players
Freeze

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 05:23:00 PM »
Why thank you keegan :)

i was wondering if anyone at all liked the premise about it ?
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 05:53:25 PM »
Freeze, i agree.

smaller than 512x512, bigger than 256x256.
that's would be nice!

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 06:15:44 PM »
That'd Be excellent!

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 06:26:28 PM »
err, that would be nice. :p

btw cage, your map image is good. ;)

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 06:48:41 PM »
punt punt punt punt the map is great i love it.
Just make it a little bit smaller
Freeze

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2002, 07:22:20 PM »
Should be easy to convert the map to a smaller map.   I will give it a shot and see how it comes out.   Although placeing the fields and stat stuff is going to be a major task.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Try this
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2002, 08:26:04 PM »
Convert your current bitmap to 384x384 then paste it into a new image sized  512x512, then fix the edges of the 3 large land masses.

The original land mass will then be 3/4 size which IMO will be perfect for MA use.

Originally posted by TheCage
Should be easy to convert the map to a smaller map.   I will give it a shot and see how it comes out.   Although placeing the fields and stat stuff is going to be a major task.

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2002, 12:44:29 PM »
Ok here is the updated version of the Large Pacific map.

The actual combat area is a 348x348 area on a large 512x512 map.   Guess now it would be ideal for CV action :).

BTW thanks Mistu for the kind words.   Your work is always been great too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 12:54:19 PM by TheCage »

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2002, 12:50:33 PM »
Thats it. Really great. I bet this map would bring a lot of fun.
Freeze

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2002, 01:00:24 PM »
Cage can you put some country outlines and then just put some dots or icons where you invision fields?

HiTech

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2002, 01:00:55 PM »
JB73, I like your map layout also.  Could you put it in a map form via the Terrain Editor to get a better visual on it.   That map would be great for a European style arena :).