Author Topic: Americans in Venice-Italy  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Americans in Venice-Italy
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2002, 02:47:57 PM »
Originally posted by hawk220
Curval, I'm American, and I've been to Paris many times. I've found the French, even in Paris to be warm and hospitable people. So much more friendly than the East coast of the US. I never had problem getting directions or assistance. I butchered the French language, but they knew I was trying and that went a long way.

I've already written out my experiences there a few times.

I'll summarise:

Arrived to find host family not waiting to meet me as expected (I would NEVER not show up at the airport to meet someone staying at my house...NO MATTER WHAT.  They simply just did not show...no sorry, no reason...just dickheads.)
Took a bus..had 3 changes to make..forgot the last one as the host spoke in a heavy French accent.
Took a cab from stop #2...who took me the scenic route, then stole the change from a 100 franc note.  This was the first few hours after arriving.  Welcome to Paris.
Rude waiters.  Ridiculously expensive nightclubs..that SUCKED.  Had one waiter tell my gf and I that we could NOT have another glass out of the bottle of wine we bought because there was only 15 minutes to closing...I could drink 3 bottles in 15 minutes.  (She spoke fluent French).
Host family had an agreement whereby they would provide breakfast and dinner.  Never saw one breakfast..they all had a big lunch out of the house...dinner consisted of a piece of ham and a tomato.  (Very Simpson like..the Exchange student episode)
When I left the family in disgust I was told I was a typical rude American...they knew I lived in Bermuda, or should have.  I did nothing to provoke that other than disagree with the head of the house that France had the finest military tradition in the world.
Bastille Day...forced to walk from the Eiffel Tower to the far end of the Latin Quarter because there were no cabs at 2.00am.  (Actually there were lots..they just wouldn't stop!)  Arrived at the hotel at 5.30am.  The whole night we had been pelted by fireworks thrown directly at us by a bunch of toejamty little Parisian froggies.

I could go on and on.

When I eventually flew home the flight was one big party.  It was full of Americans and Canadians who were glad a hell to be getting out of that hellhole.

Sorry..I HATE Paris.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2002, 03:11:41 PM »
oh dowding.... in that study... did they ever explain why you guys try to sound like Americans when you sing?

Erm... do you have any reading comprehension skills to speak of? Or do I have spell it out explicitly? I said their findings concluded it was a physiological phenomenon that when people sing they happen to sound American. Obviously some artists for whatever reason imitate the American accent. But you're wrong in generalising. The majority don't - in British music, many recent guitar bands have regional accents - Mancunian, Welsh etc.

And don't try to turn the thread into a 'my seedy bars and seedier than yours'. lol
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2002, 04:23:40 PM »
Wow Curvall, sounds like a trip :D

Straffo...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2002, 04:41:27 PM »
wow Curval.. sounds like you got Le ScrewJob Royal. Would piss me off too. either I've been really lucky or oblivious :p

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2002, 05:45:26 PM »
Ok, I'm fairly well travelled, and I have a very healthy respect for other cultures. My parents were both raised in Japan, and I've lived overseas for 7 of my 29 years.  But everyone needs a little tribalism so this is for your euroweenies.

Ok, it's once again for me to offer Dave Quackenbush's assesment of Europeans after prolnged exposure to them at home and abroad.

Euro-Barge
by The Vandals.
From the Album: Hitler Bad, Vandals Good

Here in America, respect your fellow man
Some foreign cultures don't understand
We got this little rule and it's called elbow room
Pertaining to the spacial occupancy you consume
It I'm in front of line, then you should stay behind
Until I get my iceless soda.
It's such a simple thing it's called first come first serve
Wooden clogs that smash my feet I really don't deserve
In every region it seems there's a legion
of impatient close talking slime,
that cut in line.

Chorus:
Barge me with your walkin' spray me with your talkin'
I am the ambassador of kick your assador

What's your affinity for my vicinity.
There's plenty room here in your country
It's just etiquette to use deodorant.
Maybe smelling bad's the way you choose to represent
Boozy and stinkin' I smell what your thinkin'
I just need a little more space Get out my face

Barge me with your walkin', spray me with your talkin' -
Back the diddly up bellybutton hole shut your bread & cheese hole
Tryin' to make myself clear, give me just a foot here
You offend my sinus, I'll kick your royal highness
I'll see your Euro-barge by friend,
and raise you one Ugly American

Barge me with your walkin' spray me with your talkin'
Push you out of the way sock you in the pate'
Step right off you inbred, hygiene like a deadhead
I am the ambassador, of diddlyin' kick your assador!

SCHNELL!!!
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2002, 05:48:36 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Straffo...

No need to Straffo (but I appreciate the gesture ;).  He knows of what I write.  We have "chatted" and have an understanding.  Note that it was Paris and Parisians that I referred to in my post.  Straffo lives in Normandy..where I have not been, so I cannot judge the entire French population.  

I used to.  

Making fun of the French was an enjoyable pastime for me for quite a while.:)

I will get to France again soon, I'm sure.  I plan on avoiding Paris at all costs.  I will look up Straffo, check out the Normandy landing sites, eat great food and drink great wine.  

I hope.  :p
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 06:03:47 PM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2002, 07:53:27 PM »
If you ain't been to Winnemucca, you ain't been nowhere.:p
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2002, 09:31:17 PM »
Oh and we dont all say y'all, gitty-up, and yehaw.

Like, for sure, dude.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2002, 01:19:05 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
eat great food and drink great wine.  

I hope.  :p

That's not a hope :)

It a "certitude" (certain ?) you just need to train a bit drinking wine 1st   ;)

btw the slap part was because I'm not sure that Saw met real woman when in france ... it was perhaps cross dresser ya know :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2002, 01:23:19 AM by straffo »

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2002, 02:08:08 AM »
"Certains sont morts pour moins que ca Straffo" :D

Lots of women in France, just shut up about it already :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2002, 09:07:11 AM »
dowding... "physiological phenomenon "  didn't seem like much of an explanation to me.   Perhaps your writing skills are in question more than my reading comprehension?  

I get along with most people.   I would rather live in the country that has the most opportunity and the most room to spread out with decent weather.   The less populous the less attention paid to you by the government.   I believe that the U.S. is the best balance of being able to hide from the government and still have opportunity.   I felt very crowded in europe.  
lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2002, 10:25:18 AM »
Any of you fereners heard of a town in Calabria called Umbriatico? Just found out my Grandparents come from there.

That would be Umbriatico - Italy
:D

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2002, 11:02:52 AM »
MT, that would be a town where one drinks a lot :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.