Author Topic: possible idea about spawn points: spawn Arc  (Read 640 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
possible idea about spawn points: spawn Arc
« on: November 07, 2001, 11:53:00 PM »
I know it may be hard to code but it would be a huge advance in the ability to have a ground war if each base had a "string" that could stratch a specified distance in any direction.

this line or string could be moved anywhere within the radius of the range of the base.

so the vehicle could spawn anywhere within that range  :)

the only proviso would be that each base, factory, city, depot etc has a "bubble" around it. so that when a vehicle spawns over these objects it is placed a small distance from them to prevent milk running and instant respawning next to targets.

by doing this spawn vulching will be eliminated and vehicles will be able to spawn from any location while staying a good distance from all bases and ground targets.

can this be done HT?

if anyone can do it i know HT can  :)
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2001, 11:57:00 PM »
another advantage of this is that there will no longer be a need for the terrain makers to go in and adjust each individual spawn point. since all bases have a limited spawn range and all ground facilities have a "no spawn" bubble or specified radius that prevents friendly and enemy vehicles from other bases spawning on top of them.

the player would be given the task of spawning in the right place instead of the terrain maker  :)

automation      :)

perhaps 2 spawn buttons for vehicles:
1 for hangar (ie as we have now vehicles spawn from the vh.

1 for the movable spawn point (which even though it is from the base will not spawn inside the buble of the base it originates from.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Citabria ]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2001, 11:58:00 PM »
my thoughts on the string usage are individual string available to each player. a simple fully movable spawn point with a limited range and inability to spawn directly next to any ground facility.  so that all vehicles must take a short drive to get to the target  :)

ok enough repeating myself    :rolleyes:

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Turn it into a dual spawn war.  No more risk in re-spawning... just pop up somewhere else and start afresh against the guy that just killed you... only you know where he'll be and he must now locate you.

Its a silly idea to fix a non-existant problem.

The best way to avoid spawn campers is to get them before they reach the spawn point.  Outside of that... I have no pity for anyone in that situation.

AKDejaVu

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
with this system ground vehicles can be used to attack AND defend:

factories
cities
airbases
vehicle bases
depots
trains
convoys
ships
HQ
carrier groups (pt boats limited to water)

the only drawback is that once killed the player can spawn in a new location and vulch the would be spawn vulcher. perhaps there should be a 1 minute time limit on using the movable spawn point? this would fix that problem.

or perhaps this system will not be precise so that you will not spawn prefectly where you aim the spawn point (dispersion?)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2001, 12:13:00 AM »
and deja I wasnt trying to fix the spawn campers problembecause there is no such problem like you said.

I think this gadget would allow ground vehicles to be more of an offensive tool instead of just the defensive tool they are now.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong here. Cit. didn't you just ring up a rather large spawn kill string last month?? I know you had help from a rather persistant foe (friend) who continued spawning in a GV at the same base to enable you to do this. I recall the thread here in the bbs somewhere. Perhaps someone will find it and repost it.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Sorry cit.. but where this helps the offensive GV mode it totally screws the defensive one.

Ground battles have always been set up to guard against routs and protect passes.  Once you make this completely random, you eliminate that strategy and make it pointless to defend with GVs.

I'm all for random spawning within a small area, but not for some kind of "he could be anywhere" spawning that is implied in your initial post... or even a "spawn by the city... or spawn by the field... or spawn by the factory" selection.  Spawning gets you close and driving gets you there.

AKDejaVu

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
Have to agree with fester on this one.  Being able to spawn in just one location is not realistic and in many cases useless given that some of the terrain is impassable due to the sewing machine engines in the gv's.

And the "he could be anywhere" situation is realistic. When in the history of motorised warfare would the enemy know exactly from which direction and in some cases the exact location an armoured assault would occur.

Having the ability to select a location to spawn your gv would not only make gv's more attractive and fun but would add a nice new feature to Aces High IMO.

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2001, 03:07:00 AM »
Well I like the String spawn idea.  Makes GVs more useful.

Jarbo

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »
i like it, i noticed that when you spawn close to the enemy base and they notice you they end up circleing the spawn point waiting for new ground attackers to pop up and it makes for an easy kill for the pilots.

I have done this also. (very fun for the pilots but sucks for the drivers on the ground)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2001, 07:09:00 AM »
I'd love to give it a try!

I think as long as you make the bubble you can NOT spawn into (around enemy base, etc)big enough you won't have any major problems on defense. Other than not knowing in advance where they are coming from.