Author Topic: wwiio 1.7 prerelease deletes c:\ root directory... :eek:  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
wwiio 1.7 prerelease deletes c:\ root directory... :eek:
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2002, 11:05:00 AM »
Sheesh..Prolly many folks are now having new sexual fantasies of torturing CRS developers!

I would have if my C: had gone to HD heaven..

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2002, 11:14:33 AM »
makes for some good press huh?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2002, 11:16:27 AM »
> Looks like the pre-release install routine deletes your root
>directory if you don't have an older test folder somewhere.

Thats old news....
Your living in the past...
You must not have enough system...
You prolly don't know what you're doing...
This is all somehow Strategy First's fault...
You're mistaken, it never happened...
They've already got a fix for that in next version...
It works fine on my machine...
You need to tweak...
BUY MORE RAM!

:rolleyes:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2002, 11:17:33 AM »
Stop spinning it, AK. ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2002, 11:18:37 AM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
[B
Thats old news....
Your living in the past...
You must not have enough system...
You prolly don't know what you're doing...
This is all somehow Strategy First's fault...
You're mistaken, it never happened...
They've already got a fix for that in next version...
It works fine on my machine...
You need to tweak...
BUY MORE RAM!

:rolleyes: [/B]

LOL, is that like a business card they carry around, cheat sheet of sorts? :)
"Comrades!
When dealing with the end users, these are acceptable answers..."

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2002, 11:21:26 AM »
>LOL, is that like a business card they carry around, cheat sheet of sorts?

"Idiot Cards" for the WWIIOL Phanbois.

:cool:
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2002, 11:58:36 AM »
I glad to see wwiiol back on the right track.......lol

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2002, 12:52:48 PM »
Puts on Flame Retardent Suit.

Yep, they shot themselves in the foot. It effected ppl with NT base code win2k and xp. They added a small preinstaller that would move your existing ww2ol install to a "test" directory. Beta ppl had an exisiting "test" folder but those who didnt(new guys trying out the beta for first time) didn't. This seemed to have made the installer have its way with files. Most seem to have lost an NT loader and this prevented the os from coming back up on  a reboot. The xp cd would fix that. Some have posted they lost their entire C drive. I dont know to much about that, but it would piss me off too.

If you are looking for huge rants, I think you may be disappointed.
Our boards seem to have taken it in stride. I assumed there will be some who dont.

The installer is being fixed, and the beta will prolly resume tonight. Those that got to play ..win98se, like me for one,  found it had some nice improvments.

BTW PPl with phat machines..say 2100xp, will not see as big an increase in FPS than ppl with slower machines but with T&L support. If you are fast enought your machine can do the code processing AND the graphic feeds with or without T&L.

hardcase

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2002, 01:11:41 PM »
Man, I had to go and look at the 1.7 beta boards for myself.  It's like a train wreck.
I'm surprised there aren't so many upset people, but they were selected out a long time ago, I guess.  I mean, from what people have to do to get WW2OL to run well, reinstalling the OS isn't that big of a step.

then again, sounds like it hit the new generation of paying beta testers the hardest.

And I recall whining about CRS forcing things into certain directories, especially the root directory. (wht was it C:\crs\playgate to run C:\program files\strategy first\crs\playnet\ww2ol ?)
this is the sort of thing I've always considered bad programming practice.  Now at least, we've got a tangible case to point to when complaining about such idiocy.

beta resumes tonight.  May I suggest a 2-minute ceasefire to honor those whose hard drives have fallen?

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2002, 01:19:19 PM »
I just talked to a head rat. He says that the installer would only destroy files in the C:/ root..the NTLDR(Net Loader from NT code on the xp/2k sys) for one. Someone losing EVRYTHING on the C: Drive wasn't caused by the installer. This is just the message. Dont shoot the messenger.

How a guy could loose everything out of every folder, and this not happen to all the xp/win2k(losing only the files in C:/ and not the directory stuff), makes me hope they just couldn't boot up and thought they had lost all of the C:/ drive.

hardcase
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 01:26:35 PM by hardcase »

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2002, 01:21:23 PM »
You want the choice built in. I agree. I think you can install to any drive, but the only caveat is that the path have no spaces in it.  But, if you must default, it must default to the only drive a proggie can be assured is on someone's system.

Ode, even now with the optimzations on load up that have been introduced, your machine would take till the end of time to load.:)

Mine is about 35 seconds. Respawns are also faster.

hardcase
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 01:24:09 PM by hardcase »

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2002, 01:37:44 PM »
The panic was over soon and ppl got to work fixing others. No matter what you say about the sim, the community is top of the line. I was proud of us.:)

personally wish to thank all the players that have been working as hard as the guys from CRS to resolve this issue.

We have a lot of talented and knowledgeable people out there and I wish to thank you for helping me get my computer back on line.

rlbomber
7th Army

Guido9tn
  posted Fri, Oct 4 11:41am    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to the Rats, and to bdgrb0y and McFig who both posted the solution I needed to get up and running last night. Nasty surprise, but we got through it.

Hopefully the Rats will get some sleep at some point!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the players worked all night long. WB, AH, and WW2OL are not casual gamers. We have our differences but when push comes to shove, these forums are full of stand up ppl.

hardcase
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 02:07:03 PM by hardcase »

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2002, 01:44:16 PM »
Hopefully my last post.(i can hear mighty1 breathing easier now:D )

from the forum by Mo the Game Producer.

Folks,

We are working on a new version and our plan is to release today.

In order to insure that this next installer provides a safe install of the test files we are going to make it a full install, this will be a large file right around 100MB.

From this version forward we will be patching the test folder normaly with smaller files. However, to insure that the folder is set up correctly and safely we have decided to remove as many variables as possible during the install process.

The error we encountered last night was in part due to the fact that we needed the installer to both "create" a test folder for those who did not have one, and simply update the folder for those that did. It was support of these two variables that bit us, and ultimately you guys. While we are confident that the fixed installer can perform both of these functions, we are also feeling the sting and wanting the rest of this public beta test to go off without a hitch.

A full install will be coming this afternoon and we plan to have the test running then as well.

Rest assured that when 1.7 is ready for the public server we will be delivering the smallest patch file we can.

Watch for news here.

Chris "Mo" Sherland
WWIIOL's Producer
http://www.playnet.com

"He was killed on his first day in the game by a Parrakeet

Ok, guys have at me:)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2002, 01:49:42 PM »
It was good sarcasim. I got a good laugh reading it:)  

I am trying to setup for recording ww2. Got vid out but my two VHS dont have a S-video in.(been gathering dust since the dvd with Kkipsch 4.1 went on:D.Can scare the neighbores. If I can get it going I will send you a vhs with some missions on it WITH the FPS counter on!

hardcase

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2002, 02:00:27 PM »
Please remember that this is a beta that you are expierencing problems with and not the retail version. And that this is one of chances you take when you test a beta product for any game whether made by Cornered Rat Software or anyone else.

I found this deliciously ironic. Think back to June 6th, 2001...
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.