Author Topic: Gun control  (Read 2098 times)

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Gun control
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2002, 08:33:50 PM »
i agree with lonz, we could ban guns in this country and it will work. all we have to do is get those border patrol guys to keep guns out when there looking for drug smugglers. and we all know how impossible it is to get dope like heroin or cocane in this country.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Gun control
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2002, 08:59:27 PM »
I'm mostly concerned with why Lonz is measuring my noodle.

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Gun control
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2002, 09:48:49 PM »
FYI, because Parker's opinion is in the minority, it is now dicta.  Therefore, the majority opinion rules, not Parkers.

Originally posted by Erlkonig

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gun control
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2002, 08:19:02 AM »
I think that it is  a cruel joke to play on the anti gun nuts to tell em that they will double their noodle size to 3" if they join the NRA.
lazs

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Gun control
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2002, 10:41:00 AM »
"A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state , the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hmmm.  The term "free state" is usually interpreted to mean a free nation.

However, there is another possible meaning.  Could the authors have meant the state of being free ?

After Mr. Blonde's post how can you anti-gun supporters hold on to the argument that the authors of the Second Amendment were referring to a collective right?  They understood perfectly well what the amendment meant.  No one living in the former English colonies had to have its' meaning interpreted for them.  

When some of you state that there is no longer a need for the right to bear arms, aren't you really saying that you would never be willing to revolt against our government, no matter what actions it takes in the future?  Aren't you also saying that you would be unwilling to use deadly force to defend your life or the lives of your family when attacked by cutthroats in your home?  Are you content to call the police and then wring your hands helplessly while hoping that they arrive on time?  Do you have no sense of self-preservation?

If you wish to live your own life in such a fashion that is fine with me, but please do not insist that the rest of us become sheep as well.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Gun control
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2002, 10:50:17 AM »
schukins... I don't think you understand... All we have to do is not go out on the streets ever and build a $100,000 "panic room" to wait for the police in (don't forget to hook up the phone) and.... most of all... learn to trust our government in all matters.   If you do all these things then it is easy to see that the  right to keep and bear arms is passe and welll...... unhip.    Certainly not worth saving when we have the more important matter of legalizing pot at hand.   real freedom is being able to smoke pot till you grow 44 double D's not the ability to defend yourself from tyranny.    petty or otherwise.
lazs

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Gun control
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2002, 11:21:40 AM »
H. Godwineson:
When some of you state that there is no longer a need for the right to bear arms, aren't you really saying that you would never be willing to revolt against our government, no matter what actions it takes in the future?  Aren't you also saying that you would be unwilling to use deadly force to defend your life or the lives of your family when attacked by cutthroats in your home?

That is exactly what they are saying. Why are you surprised? You can legally declare people to be free but not make them stop being slaves.

miko

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Gun control
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2002, 11:48:44 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
\
In NZ its pretty straightforward. You don't need automatic weapons or pistols.  

Lets go back in our time machine... say 60 years.. would you still think the same about the need for such wepons?

BTW if the Kiwi gov had clipped the wings of the airforce ( I know it was a Brit thing then but) like they have recently how many guys like Alan Peart  do you think you would field?

just asking :)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Gun control
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2002, 11:48:57 AM »
Who said there was no need for the right to bear arms?

All I'm saying is that I don't believe that the constitution guarantees you that right.

The Miller decision WAS NOT about the 2nd Amendment, it was about the 5th. While the court did mention its belief that there was an individual right, that was not the ruling, and was incidental to the actual case.

No law regarding gun control has ever been struck down because of the 2nd Amendment.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
Gun control
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2002, 11:53:36 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
We need a "war on guns" just like our "war on drugs" in order to prevent events like the sniper killings.

Hmmm....30 years of "war on drugs" no victory in sight.  Doubt the war on guns would be much better.

As Mr. Franklin said, those who would sacrifice liberty for security are deserving of neither.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
Gun control
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2002, 12:00:19 PM »
The entire English disarmament of its population had nothing to do with crime.  The intent was to disarm the population to prevent insurrection.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Gun control
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2002, 12:03:10 PM »
midnight Target: All I'm saying is that I don't believe that the constitution guarantees you that right.
 Strange, the wording seems quite explicit to me.

miko

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Gun control
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2002, 12:20:18 PM »
nutballs like the DC sniper work in the opposite for "gun control"

since the shootings started, what do you think has happened to guns sales in the area?

I do not own a gun, cept a CO2 bb pistol, but if someone was taking pot shots at us in the Tampa area, my arse would be in line at the nearest dealer/gunshow. Though it'd do no good, I'd feel alot better with it under my seat. I'm sure there are more than a few doing/thinking the same in DC today ....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Gun control
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2002, 12:26:23 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
nutballs like the DC sniper work in the opposite for "gun control"

since the shootings started, what do you think has happened to guns sales in the area?

Which is just good for gun salesman. If those morons think that owning a firearm is going to protect them from an unseen sniper perched somewhere off in the distance, they're fooling themselves.
sand

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Gun control
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2002, 12:36:14 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

Which is just good for gun salesman. If those morons think that owning a firearm is going to protect them from an unseen sniper perched somewhere off in the distance, they're fooling themselves.

you don't think guns sales in the area have risen since it started?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder