Author Topic: The Fight for Japan - ( formerly Korean War Setup) 25 Oct 02  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Korean War Setup 25 Oct 02
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2002, 06:37:14 PM »
Originally posted by hazed-
Whats happened to the CT?

me262s are nothing like mig15s and thats reason enough to not do korea.

actually it's not korea, theychanged it to a kind of "what if" where russia and brits/yanks are fighting over control for japan.

the setup itself it what's interesting... for me anyway...

i mean, jeez it's nicely balanced  in matchups and an opportunity to see how the late war speedsters stack up vs the "uber-la7".  :)

i can't really see the whines about "non-ww2 planes" cuz they are *still* WW2 planes, lol. just consider the 262 a russkie ripoff, like they ripped off the b29.

temps, spit14's ponys did go after 262's yanno?  it's still a "matchup" setting as is any other CT week's... i mean gee, there are "substitutions" made in CT setups all the time.  so playing the "historical" card in the pure sense, makes no sense.

having said that...  i like it... it's been interesting. as i said la7 and yak's *can* hold their own vs the "perkies" but a lot boils down to pilot skill.

i can tear up russian stuff in the perkies.... and conversely, i can kill the perkies in the russian stuff.

if this setup is showing me anything, it's simpy that the spit14 is overpriced in the MA. it struggles the most vs an la7. especially when a lot of the fghts are happening down in la7 alts.  temps can *out turn* both yaks and la7's.  so can a f4u-4.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2002, 08:47:31 AM »
Originally posted by hazed-
Whats happened to the CT?

taken over by a bunch of people who obviously dont care about historical realism.

KOREA?? what a bunch of crap.

I used to like the CT but its got steadily worse with more and more gamey set ups.

At one time it was picking up with numbers but its back to the poor attendance and I think its because of dumb setups like this.

me262s are nothing like mig15s and thats reason enough to not do korea.

That's a bit harsh, Hazed.   I'm pretty sure they were going for a change of pace that would allow people to fly perk planes against each other without worrying about the cost.   The CMs still care about the CT, and its only a week anyway.

I see it's been changed from the Korean War to reflect instead a 1945? invasion of Japan by the Soviets, and defended by US/RAF forces.   So its a what-if scenario.    One problem I see is that the Mig-15 didn't actually enter service until 1949.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2002, 10:40:09 AM by oboe »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2002, 12:49:00 AM »
Damn Hazed thats an awful and inaccurate thing to say.  This setup was my idea and I am glad the CM picked up on it.   Frankly many of us long timer AH guys, you included IIRC are complaining of AH getting boring and repetitive so this was my idea to have another scenario and have a new gameplay setup that was close to historical as possible but in a new refreshing way. All of the planes, or their later developments, were there in  Korea except the Me262 and B26.

There were Yak9/Yak3
There were La9/La11
There were F4U4/F4U5
There was Il10
There was the Sea Fury
There were F51D
And possibly even late Griffon Seafires

The Me262 was added as the only jet as the Mig15 was vastly superior to any UN Jet available early and was a huge shock to the UN forces. I bet the speed and climb difference between Me262 and the allied prop perkies is probably even less than Mig15 advanatage over F80/F84.

So I find it curious that  those who complain of AH getting boring are so hateful of this new concept. At least some of us are thinking about trying new things to make it interesting and not just complaing of being bored like old widows then hissing at any attempt by somebody to try something new.

Or do we want just another 109 vs spitfire fun fest, again, and again and again.  Or how about the ever entertaing F4U vs Zero carrier vulch marathons?

Damn old women.....   :D

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2002, 07:45:48 AM »
For all its worth, I dont think its that bad.  Pretty even match up.  Good fights.  I think its okay.  Sure its not the south pacific, but you cant have cake every day.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2002, 09:12:15 AM »
, Jarbo, for trying something different.  I've flown both sides of this one and enjoyed it all.  I love my historical set-ups as much as the next guy/gal, but trying something different for a week is refreshing.  This one is pretty balanced, IMO.  What I've discovered is that I enjoy the combat in the CT more than the MA no matter what A/C I've got to chose from, thanks to the great folks who fly in there with me.  Thanks, CT goers, for a fun weekend.

Sabre
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2002, 09:23:41 AM »
I'm enjoying it and will enjoy others like it in the future.  I have no idea how long it takes the CT Staff to set up one of these shindigs but, however long it is, I appreciate the time and effort.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2002, 09:25:56 AM by HFMudd »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2002, 11:04:45 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre
, Jarbo, for trying something different.  I've flown both sides of this one and enjoyed it all.  I love my historical set-ups as much as the next guy/gal, but trying something different for a week is refreshing.  This one is pretty balanced, IMO.  What I've discovered is that I enjoy the combat in the CT more than the MA no matter what A/C I've got to chose from, thanks to the great folks who fly in there with me.  Thanks, CT goers, for a fun weekend.

Sabre

Agreed, on all points.

- oldman

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2002, 10:53:30 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre

Sabre

Jarbo,

on a highly interesting and (now) fun setup.

Quite honestly, I didn't enjoy my first day in this setup due to the presence of the Me 262.  I didn't fully investigate the setup and mistakenly took up a P-51 last weekend.  Needless to say, had a terrible time in the 51 against the LA-7s and 262s.  

Since then, I've discovered the Tempest.  What a beauty.  Now I can hold my own against the Yaks, La-7s and to a lesser degree the 262.  I'm now starting to get more kills than deaths/bails.

Only criticism is that the 262 should be perked at a higher level, perhaps 20 to 25 points; maybe even 50 points.

IMO, the 262 does not belong in this setup mainly because the allied side has no really effective aircraft to send up against it.  Besides, this is supposed to be 1945, not 1951!:rolleyes:

Gonzo