Author Topic: The Fight for Japan - ( formerly Korean War Setup) 25 Oct 02  (Read 1490 times)

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
The Fight for Japan - ( formerly Korean War Setup) 25 Oct 02
« on: October 25, 2002, 01:50:13 AM »
For one week only........
A special setup to utilize the late WWII
plane set (mostly).  I hope you enjoy it.

THE FIGHT FOR JAPAN
The Soviet Union and the U.S are clashing over ownership of Japan.  The Soviet Union
launched a surprize invasion into mainland Japan.  The American and British are
attempting to retain a foothold on the south tip of the Island.  

The left side of the Perdonia Map will represent Japan.
Bases to the right of the two rivers will be flight disabled for both sides and
represent the Pacific Ocean.  Two Carriers CV10 & 14 represent two U.S. task
groups operating in the Sea of Japan.  If captured they will become destoyers
for other side.  CV35 & 44 will be flight disabled for both sides (destroyers only)

The ME262 will represent the Mig15 and be perked to represent limited production.
--------------------
North Japan - Soviet Union (Knight)
LA7
YAK9T
YAK9U
ME262 (5 Perks)
IL2
--------------------
South Japan - U.S./British (Bishop)  
P51D
SpitXIV
Tempest
F4U4 (Carrier Only)
B26
A20
--------------------
Both Sides
C47
M16
M3
Flak
LVTs
PTs
Pnzr

Jarbo
CT Staff
« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 03:42:24 PM by jarbo »

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
Korean War Setup 25 Oct 02
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 05:08:06 AM »
Thanks but no thanks.  :(
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 08:37:04 AM »
looks cool to me...

be interesting to see how all teh late war planes truly stack up against each other.

you may wanna add the fw190d9 to represent the spit22?

i recall seeing a plane that looked strongly like the d9 in the korean war, but can't recall off hand what it was.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 08:41:51 AM »
Should be interesting...

I think the Hog-C saw a lot of action in the forgotten war.  It should be a slow dog compared to the rest of the CT pack this week.

eskimo

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 08:47:48 AM »
should there not be jets for both sides?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2002, 09:09:33 AM »
As i understand it, the north koreans had the Mig15 in production and in theater en-masse well before the U.S. had the F86.  I could be wrong, but i believe the twin mustang was a predominant dogfighter early on.

Jarbo

Shane,  feed me more info on what plane the 190 is to represent (the tempest may be filling that role somewhat already)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 02:54:54 PM by jarbo »

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2002, 09:38:29 AM »
looks good to me.  What is your problem with it foxx? Just not interested in late war birds?  I cant wait to crawl into that f4u4 and mix it up with the big guys.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2002, 09:39:56 AM »
Its the Mig-15. The Mig-19 was Vietnam era.

I would rather see a setup with no Jet at all, but the 5 perk point Jet for the N. Koreans doesnt bother me. In other words less Jets please not more, otherwise you have to enable them at both sides freely and it becomes a big Jet war, with all the prop a/c left in the hanger.

Btw the B-26 Invader in Korea was basically a hottened up A-20G. Its one of the few a/c in AH that actually flew in Korea. Would be good to see it in the setup. B-26 Marauder never saw action there, its the "other" 26 that flew in Korea. Its a common mistake.

Some info:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/attack/a4/a4-8.htm

As for the Spitfire, it didnt see action in Korea:

"No Spitfires saw service in the Korean War, although No 2 Squadron of the South African Air Force trained on LF Mk IXs before taking its Mustangs to war. HMS Triumph was in Far East waters with No 800 Squadron and its Seafire F.47s on board however, and their first operation was a strike by 12 Seafires and 9 Fireflies on Haeju airfield on 3 July 1950. Because of their short range, the Seafires were frequently given the Combat Air Patrol task over the fleet. During the Inchon landings in September, Seafires flew armed reconnaissance missions and spotted for the bombarding cruisers. But, by the end of the month, No 800 Squadron had only three serviceable aircraft and no replacements were available in the Far East. The inevitable crop of landing accidents and cumulative airframe stress damage meant the end of the Seafire's operational life. Nevertheless, the squadron flew 245 offensive patrols and 115 ground attack sorties before HMS Triumph was replaced by HMS Theseus with its Sea Furies and Fireflies."

For info.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 10:55:13 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2002, 09:48:08 AM »
Originally posted by jarbo
Shane,  feed me more info on what plane the 190 is to represent (the tempest may be filling that role somewhat already)

still looking, but some other intersting sites... seems the f6f-5 and tmb-3 were there as well.

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/ac-korea.htm

apparently the hawker seafury...  is this what the temp is representing?

and squire is correct... the "B-26" is the a26 invader which is pretty much a better A20g... which would be better used in the setup than the b26.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 10:16:07 AM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2002, 09:52:22 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
still looking, but some other intersting sites... seems the f6f-5 and tmb-3 were there as well.
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/ac-korea.htm
apparently the hawker seafury...  is this what the temp is representing?

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2002, 11:50:50 AM »
I've just done a bit of research...

The Hog used in Korea was the F4U-5.

It had 2800 HP instead of 2000, like the F4U-4.
It also had 4 Hispanos, like the F4U-1C.

Obviously we don't have a Corsair like the Hog-5, but I think players should have a choice of getting the Korean War hog power plant (F4U-4), or the Korean War hog gun package (F4U-1C).  Either one will be less of a plane than the F4U-5, and the C will be greatly outclassed performance-wise by the North Korean plane selection.

Thanks,

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2002, 12:04:12 PM »
It sounds as if hogs should be available at a few land bases as well:

http://www.flightjournal.com/articles/corsair/corsair2.asp

"Locked and loaded for Communist targets, an F4U carries 5-inch rockets, napalm and a full load of 20mm ammunition for the upcoming mission. At left is Capt. J.J. Geuss, and at right is Capt. George Kubal; both were pilots in the "Checkerboard" squadron that operated from Kangnung (K-18) at the time this was taken in 1951 (courtesy of J.J. Geuss via author)."

"An elaborately painted F4U Corsair from VMF-323 is in front of the old terminal building at Kimpo AB in late spring 1951. During its 35-month stint in Korea, the squadron operated from at least four land bases; its aggressive support for the UN ground troops is legendary (courtesy of W.C. Rockwell via author)."

"The Marine Corps operated four day-fighter Corsair squadrons during most of the war. One specialized squadron, however, flew at night, and its exploits during pitch-black nights over North Korea's mountains and valleys were well known throughout FEAF. The F4U-5N Corsair shown here was one of those night stalkers from VMF (N)-513. Note the radar pod on the tip of the right wing. This was taken in 1951 at Pohang AB South Korea (courtesy of John Corrigan via author)."

More hog stuff:

http://www.kotfsc.com/aircraft/corsair2.htm

"The first F4U-4 was delivered to the US Navy on 31 October 1944. The F4U-4 was powered by C-series Double Wasp engine. The installed model was the R-2800-18W, later replaced by the R-2800-42W. It had a war emergency power of 2,760 hp (2058 kW). A four-bladed propeller replaced the three-bladed one of the F4U-1. A chin scoop was added to the underside of the engine cowling. The F4U-4 could reach a speed of 450 mph (726 km/h). During the F4U-4 production, the cockpit was redesigned again. It now incorporated a flat, bullet-proof windscreen, a revised canopy, an armoured seat, and an improved instrument panel."

"The first post-war model, the F4U-5, was basically similar to the F4U-4. The air scoop under the engine cowling was removed, and replaced by two small scoops incorporated in the lower side of the cowling. Also, the outer wing panels were now fully covered with metal. The armament consisted of four 20 mm cannon, as in the F4U-4B. The engine was the 2,675 hp (1995 kW) R-2800-32W, with a variable-speed two-stage supercharger. The engine installation introduced a lowering of the thrustline by 2.75 degrees, which improved stability and forward view. The first XF4U-5 flew on 4 April 1946."

eskimo

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2002, 01:46:18 PM »
For that matter a hypothetical Allies vs Russia fighting over Japan in 1945 would work too. USN, USMC, USAAF, RN and Commmonwealth AFs vs the Soviets. Korea is kind of a stretch.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2002, 02:17:07 PM »
The USAF DID have F-80's (Shooting Star) and F-84's (Thunderjet) operating in Korea earlier than they had the Sabres.  

Also the Soviet side lacks any sort of useful bomber as currently set up.

J_A_B

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2002, 02:54:10 PM »
Shane, yes, the Tempest is instead of the Sea Fury, basicly very similair planes but teh Sea Fury could roll from Carriers (I think).

Nice copy of a 190 wouldn't you say? They ALL envy Kurt Tank! :)

Btw everybody, I've heard from very trust worthy sources that the Ta152 saw action in Korea ;)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.