Author Topic: Please, perk the Dora  (Read 995 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2002, 10:56:38 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

But that has nothing to do with the a certain plane causing one country having low numbers.

Ack-Ack

Until you have a balanced number on each team, I don't think you can gauge the effect of one plane type on the balance of the arena.
sand

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2002, 01:54:40 PM »
Gremlin Quote:
He can out run me,

Incorrect, and it's been tested to prove that statement is wrong.  The Tempest is faster than the La7 at all altitudes.  At 50ft above sea-level though it's a pretty close race, the Tempest only has about 6mph of advantage.  By only 6.5K in altitude the Tempest can cruise faster than the La7 can go with WEP.

Honestly, if you're bringing a Tempest to the fight then you can expect every La7 within icon distance, and every 190D9, 109G10, and P-51 to try to get you anyway.  Just like all other perk planes.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2002, 02:06:47 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Perk La-7, 109 G-10, P-51D, 190 D-9.

Agreed. Lightly perking these planes (3-5 perk points) would bring up the effectiveness of early to mid war planes. Shoulda been done a year ago.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2002, 02:19:58 PM »
Originally posted by hblair

Agreed. Lightly perking these planes (3-5 perk points) would bring up the effectiveness of early to mid war planes. Shoulda been done a year ago.

Yes Sir, I'm all for it!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2002, 02:23:00 PM »

Next time you're up in the MA same times as me, lets go to the DA.  Would be fun to find out.

Ack-Ack

Sure. It will be fun for sure, no matter who turns out the winner. When do you usually fly?

I'll be out of town and off the air for the next two weeks. After that I'll be looking for you. :)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2002, 02:23:55 PM »

Give me one example where the La7 or the N1K2 tip the game balance unfavorably?

Here's some stats to ponder from this past tour:
Bf 109E-4 has 16 Kills of N1K2
N1K2 has 60 Kills of Bf 109E-4

Spitfire Mk I has 43 Kills of La-7
La-7 has 147 Kills of Spitfire Mk I

All that really proves is that it's one of the favored rides in the arena.  If you want a good indicator, look at some of the better pilot scores like Leviathn's.  He's 40-7 against the La7 and 55-10 against the N1K2, all while flying the Spitfire V.  So if an early war plane that is inferior to one of the 'uber' planes has such a kill record against them, then it only leads one to see that when it comes down to it, it is the pilot and not the plane.  EVen I have a winning record over both the La7 and N1K2 and I fly the P-38L, another supposedly inferior plane to the two 'uber' planes.

You can't compare how skilled pilots do in their favorite rides against run-of-the-mill MA pilots. You'll always get the "pilot not the plane". You guys need to keep in mind the *average* online pilot. Your average AH pilot in a N1K2 is gonna eat up your average pilot in a Spit1.
Spitfire Mk I has 16 Kills of Bf 109G-10
Bf 109G-10 has 61 Kills of Spitfire Mk I

Later war planes have an obvious advantage and IMO should be lightly perked to make them less dominate. You'll still have good rides for free, just not great ones. Problem is though, everybody wants a free ride and it's probably too late in the game for HTC to perk planes people have been flying for free so long. People are afraid of change.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 02:38:02 PM by hblair »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2002, 02:26:45 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz

Sure. It will be fun for sure, no matter who turns out the winner. When do you usually fly?

I'll be out of town and off the air for the next two weeks. After that I'll be looking for you. :)

A well flown P38 would likely eat up an La-7 one on one. And Ack Ack's would be well flown. SOOoooo....
Perk the P38! (kiddin ack ack;)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2002, 02:55:19 PM »
Originally posted by hblair
A well flown P38 would likely eat up an La-7 one on one. And Ack Ack's would be well flown. SOOoooo....
Perk the P38! (kiddin ack ack;)

hmmmm i'll have to fight ack-ack's 38 in my la7 one of these days!!

should i give him an alt advantage or something?

:cool:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2002, 04:43:26 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Perk La-7, 109 G-10, P-51D, 190 D-9.

While on the surface I agree, there are some issues around where all the orphaned pilots would end up.  Would it simply boost the numbers of Spits and N1K's even more?  I don't know that a whole host of people would simply "down-grade" to a lesser model of the same aircraft (190D9-> 190A5, La7->La5).

Just an thought,

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2002, 04:43:35 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

Until you have a balanced number on each team, I don't think you can gauge the effect of one plane type on the balance of the arena.

I'll say it one more time in the hope you'll finally grasp it but I'm not holding my breath.  

Just because one side doesn't have the numbers doesn't mean a certain plane is causing the unbalance.  Don't try to throw in the "I'm a Rook and my country is always out numbered!" whine in this thread because that's not what we're talking about.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 11:38:10 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2002, 04:45:59 PM »
Originally posted by Shane

hmmmm i'll have to fight ack-ack's 38 in my la7 one of these days!!

should i give him an alt advantage or something?

:cool:

10,000ft advantage and you can't fire for the first five minutes of the fight.  

ack-ack

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2002, 04:49:59 PM »

Just because one side doesn't have the numbers doesn't mean a certain plane is causing the unbalance.

or...

Because one side has the numbers, a certain plane is causing the unbalance?
sand

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2002, 05:16:48 PM »
I thought Perk System was introduced to balance plane usage, and it was totally unrelated to performance aspects of each plane. -Popeye

Is there a balance?  Are there as many F4F's flying around as there are Spits and N1ks?  If not, there isn't a balance.  And being an early-war fan, I'm all for "balance."

:D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2002, 11:44:24 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

or...

Because one side has the numbers, a certain plane is causing the unbalance?

or...

You're still trying to throw in a completely different and irrelevant arguement to the table.

Whether or not a plane makes the game play unbalanced is totally and completely seperate from whether or not a particular country is out numbered.  

ack-ack

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2002, 01:57:14 AM »

or...

You're still trying to throw in a completely different and irrelevant arguement to the table.

Whether or not a plane makes the game play unbalanced is totally and completely seperate from whether or not a particular country is out numbered.  

ack-ack

In my opinion, numbers affect gameplay balance far more than aircraft types. It's more relevant than the P51/LA7/NIK2 whine of the week.

The perk system is flawed. We all know it's flawed. It's inconsistent and capricious... and it hasn't been changed since _insert version here_. Hell, we're still carrying around F4U-1C baggage because of the effect that it had on an entirely different strat system. IMHO, perking the LA7/P51/NIK2 won't fix anything. The entire perk system needs another look.

Still... Rook/Bishop/Knight all enjoy the same flawed system. Only difference is... Rooks are outnumbered 4-8:1.

Perking the LA7 or the Dora isn't going to change that little fact.

Besides... you're the one that brought up balance as a gameplay argument. Any discussion about balance must include force strength... or is it your aim to have an arena filled with fighters that have 1:1 K/D ratios while the rest remain perked. Is that your idea of balance?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2002, 02:05:19 AM by Sandman »
sand