Author Topic: Why the dearth of FW190-A5 drivers?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Why the dearth of FW190-A5 drivers?
« on: February 18, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
Last night I was looking for something completely different to try out, and so I flew a 190A5 for the night. Man, after all my sorties in Spit 9's, La-5's and C.205's, the 190A5 seemed like a bird on steroids to me. The thing rolls like a maniac, and basically seemed to fly like it were on rails.

I never did fly it when it first came out, but I've noticed that there are hardly any people flying it now.

Maybe it's all relative to where you been, but I can't believe more people don't fly this thing.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
Some do  

I still prefer my old A8 tho, the only reason being that I KNOW that I cannot turn in it, inthe A5, I'll be tempted, and usualy end up ded ...

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer
"kindergarden must be closed... all those little girls running around screaming..."
 -Fd ski

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 02-18-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
Its the general feeling at the first. It is a very very agile plane and with great hispeed handling.

But after 4/5 days you get tired of seeing that almost everyone that you outfly ends running home like a screaming little girl. That is the only thing I dont like in A5, its sssssloooooooow on the deck

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2001, 07:23:00 PM »
I still fly the A5 occasionally, which explains why I suck in it now, to be good in FW ya gotta fly em predominately, or your skills soon erode. The bright side is that after a few missions in a FW, everything else feels like a ZEKE  

The ASSASSINS have been using the A8 in JABOs to close and take fields, it truly shines in this, and we are advidly looking forward to the F8.

------------------
"ASSASSINS have BIGGER Joysticks!"

<< MILENKO >>
ACES HIGH ASSASSINS Website
WB/AH ASSASSINS Website

[This message has been edited by milnko (edited 02-18-2001).]

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2001, 07:50:00 PM »
I am liking that ride more and more . reaper more or less made me fly it  

On a side note to Saintaw , sorry guy . I really felt bad after shooting you down in a Nik   , been along time since I flew one and now I know why again . No reward even if you get the other pilot . Man that thing is wrong IMO , don't hardly black out plus never stalled it once either ( I was yanking it pretty damned hard too ) . Had a HogC pilot try to rope me , well u know that end story too .  

Just to let Mass ( Saintaw ) know I won't be flying it again , plus as soon as I seen who it way I said on RW . Aw toejam , this sucks .

Sincerely , spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2001, 07:57:00 PM »
I achieved a very good kill ratio when I flew it for some time.  Just do the old B&Z and when you see someone with higher alt and they have their eye on you, just dive and run.  Keep 5k under you and they will never catch you.

fscott

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2001, 02:32:00 AM »
Aw Airspro, no probs @ all man, I got used to getting shot by now  

And to be completely honnest with you, I would fly that green kite if I knew how to get kills in it... but it seems it does not like me, so...

<S!> Spro, we will surely meet again  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2001, 04:16:00 AM »
I really like the a5, but after you burn up your drop tank you're practically bingo, thats my main problem with it . It seems to me that even the 109 has more range .

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2001, 04:17:00 AM »
I fly it as well, but I don't fly it the cowardly way that most fly B&Z'ers  .
The 190A8 I fly with caution, the A5 aggressively.

banana, my experience has been somewhat opposite to you; LA-5 and Spits seem like steroid birds to me compared to the A5, so I suspect it depends on what you're used to. Also, low speed handling in both 190's leave something to be desired, making it not as good as say the Spit 9 for those "point and click" kills where you just point the nose at your enemy when he climbs and wait for him to come around.

It's a good plane. But, as Zigrat showed me the other day, so is the P-38. Yes, the P-38. Just fly it right, and Zig knows how to do that.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"All your base/are belong to us"
http://www.thefever.com/AYB2.swf
Keep up the momentum!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2001, 07:12:00 AM »
Ugh.. I've never really flown A5 much
After all my hours and sorties in A8... more familiar with it.

Though, I don't see whats the problem with killing A-5..
It flies easy and rolls fast, but thats about it

I would still prefer Spit 9 over A-5 if I should be racking up kills.
Though, I've never got too good in La-5, most problem is with gunnery.. can't hit anything with it (those views sucked.. I haven't tried it with newer cockpit)

C.205 would be better defensive fighter than 190A5, but I would still prefer 190A5 for attacking

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
I forgot to mention.... A8 has 30mm !  

Need I say more ?

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Ice

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
The FW's are great aircraft...I have enjoyed many hours flying them in that other sim, and had great success.

I fly only the Pony here in AH, but must admit, I would fare much better in a FW than the Pony...higher K/D and K/S.

The roll rate, speed and guns of the FW make it most formidable.

I look forward to the Dora's introduction into the MA...to kill it with a pony will prove challenging...in addition, I won't have to listen to the LW boy's complaints of runstang this and runstang that

Ltr

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
Fishu, I fly the La5 fairly regularily and I find that, yes, it is difficult to hit anything with those Shivaks, but the plane itself is a wonder. The view over the nose sucks, but if you slide your view back you gain a better vantage over the nose. Just have to get in close. VERY close.  

Servo

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
Ice, not sure you can make such a statement with regards to the FW's when you haven't flown it in the main arena. especially not since one of the P-51's defensive strengths is its ability to just dip the nose and dive away.

I've only flown the P51 in the TA, so I cannot comment on whether my K/D would be better in it. I like that plane though,espcecially its ability to disengage almost at wll, and all that fiel means you can just go back with alt repeatedly. Good guns, too.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"All your base/are belong to us"
http://www.thefever.com/AYB2.swf
Keep up the momentum!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by Servo:
Fishu, I fly the La5 fairly regularily and I find that, yes, it is difficult to hit anything with those Shivaks, but the plane itself is a wonder. The view over the nose sucks, but if you slide your view back you gain a better vantage over the nose. Just have to get in close. VERY close.  

Yes, its good otherwise, even though I never liked view out of the older cockpit (hmm, go to take look at the new one after this)

Probably most reason I never have flown it much, is its very low fuel in MA conditions.