Author Topic: Pyro, HTC.....a possible improvement for BUFFs  (Read 128 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Pyro, HTC.....a possible improvement for BUFFs
« on: November 08, 2002, 01:32:22 PM »
Hello,

Disclaimer: Im sure this had been brought up before but Im in the mood so bear with me.

====

One of the problems Ive come across with buff flying in formation (and conversely, fighting against) is the formation spread.

From a rear quarter shot I can group all the buffs very tightly together and do a modified spray, hitting all the buffs nearly simultaneously with damned good results.  Unfortunately, when Im the buff this gets extremely displeasing from a gameplay perspective.  This problem is especially pronounced when flying those buffs with poor rear quarter protection.  A20 series especially.  The B17 is the only buff that seems immune to this problem (as I see it).

What would be extremely nice is having the ability to spread out the formation for a more difficult group shot.  Added benifit of varying formation spread would allow for a more dispersed bomb pattern over larger target areas.  I would think the current formation spread is as tight as they get.

Something else that would help is being able to change buffs for gunning.  As it is, when Im in the tail gunner spot on the lead plane my gun will stop firing due to the interrupter even though the aft two bombers have a clear shot, they do not fire.  Or at least allow the unobstructed guns on the other buffs to fire at my aim eve though Im not firing due to the interrupters.

I love the way bombers are handled and you all have done an excellent job.  This would just make the experience better.

Thanks for reading.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 02:15:00 PM »
THe way convergence works for the buff guns must be improived as well. The other two bombers rounds seem wasted as they spray all around the target. It seems like the algorithim to spread out the concentration of defensive fire has been applied to guns that are 100 yards apart on different aircraft.  Dispersion should only be applied to the fire from individual bombers.
The result is that we now have bombers that are more vulnerable then when there was only one of them. Or so it seems to me.

It feels like the lead that the gunner 100 yards away is taking on the target is the same lead I am taking. But its flying right at me and more paralel to him. So his rounds are wasted.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 02:36:18 PM »
The formations guns converge at about 650 yards.  If a fighter is that close you're already in deep trouble.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 03:52:29 PM »
I think you missed it..guns from different planes should be independent for convergence. They dont seem to be. They converg based on the shooters location. So 3 dual mount 50 tail guns on a lanc formation. with 100 yards between the mounts. that means 200 yards between the wingmans tail guns. at 650 they meet. At 1300 they are 200 yards apart again. Such radical convergance means that the guns almost never hit the same plane.  Add to that the fact that the wingman gunners are not leading thier targets correctly becuase they are taking thier lead from the primary gunner. And if it is the correct lead for him it is way off for them. So my lanc spews its tail gun ammo only being at most 30% effective.
BTW. If your in a lanc you dont have tail ammo for crossing shots. You have to wait till he points at you. If thats at 400 then thats the shot you get. At 400 the tail guns of your lance formation are sill 1/3 of 200 yards appart. or 60-70 yards appart...what use is that? You basically defend 3 planes with the ammo of one. But you are giving up 3 kills to the interceptor.
You only see how much a handicap this is on the bombers if you take 2 gunners or engage agianst a formation with gunners in every plane. It is murder.....But with just one gunner the lanc is more helpless then it was. And it costs you 3 planes...

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 04:33:08 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
The formations guns converge at about 650 yards.  If a fighter is that close you're already in deep trouble.

And so is the fighter.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2002, 12:00:23 PM »
The formations guns converge at about 650 yards. If a fighter is that close you're already in deep trouble.

Not really, lots of guys with hispanos or .50's will fire away at D1.1 and pick you apart.  The bomber convergence is absolutely ineffective at that range, making the other gunners near useless.

Having 3 bombers in formation also makes people more willing to open up at longer ranges since it's easier to land hits on something with the 3 bombers in such a tight formation.

To see what realy bomber defensive guns can be like, attack something where two gunners are both firing at a target, it more than twice as effective as a single gunner with control of all 3 guns.

-Soda
The Assassins.