Author Topic: Neat new feature in Warbirds  (Read 292 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Neat new feature in Warbirds
« on: November 08, 2002, 10:03:19 AM »
Warbirds let loose another update, usual stuff but there was one thing that caught my eye:

--NEW: No damage done by vehicle to bridge types. Ground Vehicles can not destroy bridges.

Bridges, that would be neat

--NEW: Damage done to vehicle is proportional to object's default hardness and inversely proportional to weight of vehicles. The heaver your ground vehicle is and the slower you are traveling the more damage you will inflict on the object you are ramming. Also calculated is the hardness of the object you are ramming.

This is cool!  How many times have you been pissed at touching a leaf ON a tree or rolling over a piece of a house on ground and having your tank explode?  They can actually run over buildings now - how cool is that?

Man I hope for such improvements.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 10:11:33 AM »
i'm sure the 24 people still flying WB will think it's pretty cool, too!

:cool:
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: Neat new feature in Warbirds
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 10:12:21 AM »
Originally posted by Turbot

How many times have you been pissed at touching a leaf ON a tree or rolling over a piece of a house on ground and having your tank explode?  

My number 1 complaint of AH since inception. When you clip a tree with a wingtip, the wingtip should be damaged, not the entire plane blowing up.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 10:17:09 AM »
If they can do it I KNOW Hitech can :)

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 10:18:28 AM »
Calculating hardness of the object you are ramming is cool.  Makes sense.

The heaver your ground vehicle is and the slower you are traveling the more damage you will inflict on the object you are ramming.

...is half backwards. While correct about the greater mass part, more damage should be inflicted at a higher velocity, not a lesser one, since more energy is imparted.  You do more damage to a given object (and yourself!) by hitting it with your car at 50mph than you do in the same car at 2mph.

Not sure it if was a typo on Littman's part, or if it's a fudge for gameplay reasons.  

Cheers,
phaetn

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 10:19:58 AM »
Originally posted by phaetn
Calculating hardness of the object you are ramming is cool.  Makes sense.

...is half backwards. While correct about the greater mass part, more damage should be inflicted at a higher velocity, not a lesser one, since more energy is imparted.  You do more damage to a given object (and yourself!) by hitting it with your car at 50mph than you do in the same car at 2mph.

Not sure it if was a typo on Littman's part, or if it's a fudge for gamplay reasons.  

Cheers,
phaetn

Was typo, it was later explained as you put it.  But this was the original announcement so I stuck with it.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 10:27:56 AM »
So, while we're going to be getting strat changes, a mission-based arena, and dynamic lighting effects, those in WB are going to be able to run over buildings in tanks? :D

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 11:07:14 AM »
Is this in WB, or ASS?

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 11:31:17 AM »
That's one thing that I liked about WB when you hit your wing  through any object stationary object the wing would be ripped off  instead of the simplistic ooh you clipped a hangar the whole   Aircraft goes up into oblivion or how in AH when you clip a tree with your prop  Bam insta tower death.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 11:40:05 AM »
Yes it's a nice feature they've added but I'll take the extra strat, ingame voice comms, mission editor, map editor, flight recorder/viewer and plenty of planes every update in AH over that any day. Hand-me-downs from Wild Bill's A.S.S or dedicated support for the product I use? no contest.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 12:26:16 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
So, while we're going to be getting strat changes, a mission-based arena, and dynamic lighting effects, those in WB are going to be able to run over buildings in tanks? :D

It would surely be possible to run with a tank over the woodden huts called houses in AH. If I remember correctly those houses in WB were a bit tougher.

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 01:15:13 PM »
it's time like these i'm glad i fly in AH where they spend devlopment time in the air :)Not on bunch of BS noone cares about heheh ...

well i've diliked hitting  trees at 2 mph and dieing ... but the ground war is a DIVERSION from the real game; So who cares
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 01:17:30 PM by Manedew »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 01:25:55 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
it's time like these i'm glad i fly in AH where they spend devlopment time in the air :)Not on bunch of BS noone cares about heheh ...

well i've diliked hitting  trees at 2 mph and dieing ... but the ground war is a DIVERSION from the real game; So who cares

Yes.. it's so irritating when there are actually people out there that are allowed to have opinions or interests that aren't preapproved by you isn't it?  Clearly they should be wiped off the face of the planet.  The nerve of some people...

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 01:47:32 PM »
Originally posted by Turbot
If they can do it I KNOW Hitech can :)

I bet Hitech already has done this improvement in the upcoming version, he jus have not told us about it yet :D

"PS!! Desperately need some news about 1.11"

The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer

Lasse
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 04:14:06 PM »
Stop appealing to HiTech for any improvements or additions.  HT is merely the programer.

You must avail to the higher thinking of Pyro if you want anything done.

Speaking of Pyro, has anyone heard or seen of him since v1.3 :eek:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns