Author Topic: American TV (and why Britain has TV licensing)  (Read 521 times)

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
American TV (and why Britain has TV licensing)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2002, 03:04:13 AM »
I don't watch much TV, but alot of it is undiluted crap.

But there are some great shows. I don't know if you'll see them in the States, but look out for 'The Office' - it's a comedy in the style of a fly on the wall documentary, set in a...err...office. Truly brilliant.

Also, they've just done a new series of Alan Partridge. If you#ve heard of that.

BTW Laz, I don't think you could buy a black and white TV even if you wanted to. Except maybe those portable things.

I have Cable at home and have 50+ channels, and about 15 digital radio channels - all absolute crap of course. I could add the sports channels, but I'd only really watch them for the England internationals.

Quantity does not equal quality. I gladly pay a license fee just to avoid watching the mind numbingly stupid adverts.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2002, 04:57:31 AM »
Oooof, "The Office" is just painful to watch, but so painful you cant stop watching to see what the idiot will do next.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2002, 05:20:37 AM »
I used to really love "the New Statesman", but then funnily enough Rik Mayall (and Adrian Edmondson) grew quite tiresome...who would've guessed Fart and Knob jokes would get old!?! (apart from Blackadder of course)

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2002, 06:03:10 AM »
I'm modelling my managerial style on Brent. Including the crazy dance he did in the last series. :)

Blackadder was excellent. My favourite of all the series funnily enough features Ade Edmonson and Rik Mayall. Private Plane - the one where they join the RFC and the 'Twenty Minuters'.

Lord Flasheart: "You treat your plane, like you treat your women. Get inside her five times a day, and take her to heaven and back."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 06:05:46 AM by Dowding (Work) »

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2002, 08:38:14 AM »
Lord Flasheart: Probably get shunned in the Officers' Mess.  Sorry about  the pong you fellows, trod in a Boche and can't get rid of the whiff.

Capt. Blackadder You may have been right, Balders.  Looks like we're going to get rogered to death after all.

My fav (apart from Goodbyeee) is this exchange from Captain Cook:

Blackadder:  It's the same plan that we used last time, and the
seventeen times before that.

Melchett: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!There is however one small problem.

Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered the first ten seconds.

Melchett: That's right! And Field Marshal Haig is worried that this may be depressing the men a tadge. So, he's looking to find a way to cheer them up.

Blackadder: Well, his resignation and suicide would seem the obvious solution.

Melchett: Interesting thought. Make a note of it, Darling!

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2002, 08:41:30 AM »
I prefer to tape my shows and watch them the next day.  Commercial time is reduced that way :)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2002, 09:11:20 AM »
Red Dwarf and Ad Fab were da bomb.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2002, 09:12:21 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
AKDejaVu -  And living where you live, there is still no Citizen's right to bear a gas pump nozzle - or has that changed?
Wow beatle... how casually you ignore the fact that you were outright wrong about the Audis.

Hey... I give you credit for sticking to what you know.  You should do that more often.

And... psssst... the "citizens" vote on that almost every year.  Its just our way at getting back at gas station owners for hiking pices.  Ah.. you wouldn't understand that because you brits have long since rolled over and blindly accepted petrol prices anyways.  Hey... how'd that fuel blockade end up there?

AKDejaVu

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2002, 09:19:34 AM »
AHDV - off topic, besides - I was not wrong about the Audis.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2002, 09:31:13 AM »
"Coffee, Darling?"

"Ah...Cupacino."

Loved the Black Adder!

Ab Fab is great as well.

As for Beetle's jealousy of the US........well, he does wear green well :)

Cobra

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2002, 09:37:07 AM »
Heh Tronski - Blackadder Goes Forth has to be the best series of the lot. Although I love the final episode of Series 3 - the one with Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington; Blackadder and the Prince exhange places and the Duke just keeps beating the crap out of him. :)

From the 'Coffee' episode:

Darling: "Have you got those brown bits they sprinkle on top?"

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2002, 09:37:37 AM »
LOL Cob!  Jealousy???

What's Cupacino?  I know only of a town in CA called Cupertino - LOL!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 10:35:39 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
AHDV - off topic, besides - I was not wrong about the Audis.
They are currently called by 4, 6 and 8 in the states.

They've been called by 80, 90 and 100 since the late 80s.  Go figure... nobody liked the 5000's much.  big number or not.

Maybe Audi learned it doesn't matter for toejam what you call the car if its a lemon.  And here I bet they too thought they had us Americans all figured out.

The "Need" to multiply the number as you claim is purely speculation and did nothing to enhance sales.  Lesson learned for Audi, though not for you.

AKDejaVu

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2002, 11:08:31 AM »
There were some good sit coms...my daughter tells me which ones.   Titus was good..  The sheild was a great cop show.   What I do is simply play AH and RECORD the shows I may watch..  end of comercial problem... I watched a history of outlaw bikers on the history channel last night and it was surprisingly accurate.    Speedvison is good too.  

60" tv... well beetle... if you watch the widescreen versions of DVD's you are watching a picture that is about 18" high by about 47" wide.   That is really not too outrageous..  I was gonna buy a "widescreen" tv but I got this one from a freind for a grand.   mitsubishi.   problyu over the top for regular tv but most people seem to like it.    Moved the little dinky 34" set to the bedroom so the smmle (short mean mexican lady)could watch the "food network" when she is over.

more choice cheap is allways better.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2002, 11:13:20 AM »
AKdejavu -
Wow beatle... how casually you ignore the fact that you were outright wrong about the Audis.
I was not wrong. I said the Audi 80 was sold in the US as the Audi 4000, and the Audi 100 was sold in the US as the Audi 5000.

Audi 80/4000 link http://www.metrocomputing.net/gtworld/cars/4000.htm
The Audi 4000, equivalent to the 80 in Europe, was introduced in 1980 to replace the Fox.

Audi 100/5000 link http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/9715/faq.html#intr1
In 1982 German car manufacturer Audi presented a new generation of large cars. They're often called "44-chassis", from the Audi's internal model line designation. Audi 100 was a base model. In 1983 it was accompanied by it's more luxurious version, the 200. In 1984 Audi began exporting those cars to USA under the name 5000.

What is it about Pro-Gun Americans and Facts?!