Author Topic: American TV (and why Britain has TV licensing)  (Read 525 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
American TV (and why Britain has TV licensing)
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2002, 12:43:29 PM »
Well...today November11, 2002 - Rememberance Day - I flicked through the channels a few moments ago and I'm pretty frigging disappointed with the US TV we get here.  Currently they are showing some chick flick called "Love Stinks" (Cinemax) and that Dudley Moore flick where he switches personality with his kid (HBO).  The networks are on their regular schedules...lots of soaps and that is about it!

Pretty sad really.  I was hoping that that there would be some shows honouring veterans, this being the proper day for it.

Forunately "Mail Call" is on the History Channel....I don't get Discovery Wings unfortunately.

What is on TV in the UK today?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2002, 12:50:31 PM »
Curval - pretty crappy night, really. BTW you can use Yahoo! TV listings - see attached screenie for sample.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Curval
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2002, 01:00:14 PM »
Lovestinks is funny. Not really a chick flick since it is about a psychotic broad lol...

If you can stand French Stewart lol watch it some time.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2002, 01:23:49 PM »
Facts?  Curious that you have to go back to the mid 80's to get your facts... and that those "facts" have proven to be totally invalid and based on false assumptions (which is why you must like them so much?).

The A4 and A6 sell much better than the 4000, 5000 did... and the 90, 100's also sold better.  But we're all about bigger numbers. :rolleyes:

AKDejaVu

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2002, 01:28:46 PM »
AK deja vu

I was referring to the early 1980s - hence the need to draw on material from that period - sorry if that makes too much sense. I was not commenting on quality of the cars, or sales volumes.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2002, 03:21:23 PM »
Beetle... you are drawing from a gimmick that didn't work.  You're using it to try to prove some kind of "Americans just like bigger numbers" thing.

The fact that it did not work and was later removed is irrelevant?  Oh yes.. I guess it would be since it is no longer capable of proving your point.

AKDejaVu

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2002, 06:34:16 PM »
AHDeja Vu
The fact that it did not work and was later removed is irrelevant?
Yes, it is. You said I was wrong about the Audis, and I just proved I wasn't wrong. It is YOU who was wrong. The fact that Audi changed their marketing strategy later on does not mean I was wrong in the first place.  That's like saying that Ford never made a Model T because they stopped making it a long time ago and it was superseded. :rolleyes:

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2002, 09:43:41 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Heh Tronski - Blackadder Goes Forth has to be the best series of the lot. Although I love the final episode of Series 3 - the one with Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington; Blackadder and the Prince exhange places and the Duke just keeps beating the crap out of him. :)

From the 'Coffee' episode:

Darling: "Have you got those brown bits they sprinkle on top?"

Hehehe,

Blackadder 2 and 4 are the best I think....always thought 3 was the weakest, but all are pretty amusing.  It was excellent having Tim McInnery back in 4 (Lord Percy/Capt Darling), and anything with Fry and Laurie is brilliant.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2002, 08:19:11 AM »
You guys export some of the worst TV in the world like.....

American Idol, Who wants to be a million air and The Weakest link, then you slip in Masterpiece theater and brag  :)

Next on the Brit export list is probably Rude public behavior (recently voted the rudest people in the world) More amazinhunk tv host like Ann Robinson and Simon Cowell, Soccer holligans and  Tabloids that make the National Enquirer look like the New York Times.

Krush