Author Topic: In Honour of Remembrance/Veterans Day:  (Read 112 times)

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
In Honour of Remembrance/Veterans Day:
« on: November 11, 2002, 02:03:12 PM »
Just thought I'd post some things here in honour of those who died...  and 1st Seargeant Henry Thompson(Grandpa)
First something to listen to: "In Flanders Fields" as it was broadcast on radio some 50 years ago HERE

Second, a link to the words and history of "In Flanders Fields" and the soldier who wrote it HERE

Third, a link to a website containing Remembrance/Veterans day news and headlinesHERE

Lastly, John McCrae's manuscript of "In Flanders Fields" for you to read:                                        
            ...lest we forget
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 02:40:53 PM »
I have a suggestion for honoring vets.  The military issues campaign ribbons, not the medals themselves.  I don't know any vet that has bothered to go to the army surplus, to buy his medals.  If you know a vet, and what medals he is authorized to ware.  You might buy them as a gift.  I am sure they are cheap.

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 06:02:32 PM »
Originally posted by easymo
I have a suggestion for honoring vets.  The military issues campaign ribbons, not the medals themselves.

Really? :confused:
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2002, 07:17:34 PM »
Yes.  It is a bit confusing to civilians.  They classify them all as medals.  But only award medals for valor (basically)

This would be a nice "thank you" for your dad, brother, etc.