Author Topic: Actual WWII gun-cam footage.. German  (Read 773 times)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Actual WWII gun-cam footage.. German
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2002, 09:51:03 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight
Basically, in RL a heavily damaged aircraft was usually abandonded even if control 'Might' have still been possible. This is certainly not the case in AH so damage effect is exagerated to compensate.

I doubt it's so much a compensation. There's far more subsystems that could be damaged/disabled/destroyed/ in a real plane than in these simulated ones...

For example, the ailerons would also have hinges, skin deformation, control cables, linkage systems, just to name a few... You could hit a hinge (not intentionally of course), and the aileron might become jammed... time to bail out. The skin could be blow away, and bend, causing another jam.

That just explains the control surfaces, in RL pilots would bail out if they were on fire... here guys turn in circles until they explode.

Things like wings coming off did happen, but it was a result of ammunition stores exploding inside of the wings, or a fuel tank.

It is indeed simplified, but I don't know if it's really exageratted in anyway... IMO.
-SW

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2002, 04:34:56 AM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
I doubt it's so much a compensation. There's far more subsystems that could be damaged/disabled/destroyed/ in a real plane than in these simulated ones...

For example, the ailerons would also have hinges, skin deformation, control cables, linkage systems, just to name a few... You could hit a hinge (not intentionally of course), and the aileron might become jammed... time to bail out. The skin could be blow away, and bend, causing another jam.

That just explains the control surfaces, in RL pilots would bail out if they were on fire... here guys turn in circles until they explode.

Things like wings coming off did happen, but it was a result of ammunition stores exploding inside of the wings, or a fuel tank.

It is indeed simplified, but I don't know if it's really exageratted in anyway... IMO.
-SW

Well, I agree, but the AH A/C do tolerate too little damage. Some Japanese planes like the Zeke and Betty were "one shot lighters", but most other planes were more solid, especially when using MG or HMG weapons. Saw a guncam clip from a P51 shooting at a 190. He scored several strikes one both wings, tail, fuselage, DT (which exploded in flames), but the 190 just kept on flying. No structural failures or nothing, and this 190 got hammered from close range (the 190 filled the guncam view).
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2002, 07:22:05 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Well, I agree, but the AH A/C do tolerate too little damage. Some Japanese planes like the Zeke and Betty were "one shot lighters", but most other planes were more solid, especially when using MG or HMG weapons. Saw a guncam clip from a P51 shooting at a 190. He scored several strikes one both wings, tail, fuselage, DT (which exploded in flames), but the 190 just kept on flying. No structural failures or nothing, and this 190 got hammered from close range (the 190 filled the guncam view).

.50cal thats it. Thats real life 50 cal not AH.
I also read debriefs og german 262 Pilots comin home with more the 200 holes from .50cal bullets just going through.
and they had no real damage.
Freeze

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2002, 08:03:35 AM »
I would love to see those accounts... I can't believe any german plane would make it home with 100 fifty cal hits (100 hits=200 holes)..  I watch gun cam footage too and it seems that they come apart long before that.   In AH I think it takes about 30 hits to down a german plane but sometimes they will make it away after 50 or more.
lazs

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2002, 07:29:48 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I would love to see those accounts... I can't believe any german plane would make it home with 100 fifty cal hits (100 hits=200 holes)..  I watch gun cam footage too and it seems that they come apart long before that.   In AH I think it takes about 30 hits to down a german plane but sometimes they will make it away after 50 or more.
lazs

Col. "Kit" Carson:

The 190 pilots had a good airplane and some good advice. Nearly all of my encounters with the 190 were at high speeds. On at least two occasions when I met them, in my Mustang started porposing, which means I was into compressibility, probably around 550 mph. I don't know what my air speed indicator was reading, I wasn't watching it.

On another occasion, I jumped one directly over the city of Paris and fired all my ammo, but he was only smoking heavily after a long chase over the town. Assuming I was getting 10 percent hits, that airplane must have had 200 holes in it. It was a rugged machine.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2002, 09:03:21 AM »
Originally posted by Grendel
Col. "Kit" Carson:
... fired all my ammo ... Assuming I was getting 10 percent hits ...

I don't think spray'n'pray dweebs score 10%.

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2002, 10:36:07 AM »
Can't seem to get to the site.  Anyone have these films on a mirror?

Terror

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2002, 11:05:10 AM »
Originally posted by Terror
Can't seem to get to the site.  Anyone have these films on a mirror?

Terror
Ditto:(

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2002, 11:09:27 AM »
same..:(
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers