Author Topic: 1.08 has put me out of the game  (Read 543 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
1.08 has put me out of the game
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Where in Maine?

Just upgraded from a Voodoo3 3000 into a Voodoo 5500....its AGP, you got an AGP slot in that thing?

BTW:  I'm in Bangor.

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
Uh cars.... I think zigrat was responding to aztecs post.

And yes, it is a painful process to upgrade to play games. I've done it since my first 286 (the only complete system I've ever bought) and gaming has been the only reason I have ever HAD to upgrade my home system. I I remember having to change both a vid card and relatively new p1-100 processor when AW made the move to Win 95. Didn't have a lot of extra cash at the time, and the "upgrade" didn't make for a better game, but I did want to keep playing the game. AH has to grow or it will face the same stagnation AW faces and is paying for now. And with hardware prices as low as they are, it's easier than ever to spend under $300 to adequately boost a basic gaming machine for another 2 years or so of playing.

Charon

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Charon ]

Offline cars

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
charon,
  aztec can still play. Hes not telling aztec to get a 2nd job to upgrade. zigrat told ME to use the time I "was" playing to get a 2nd job. Playing AH puts a lot of fun in my life but its just a game. Its not the end of the world if I can't play for a while. I just don't like some punk that doesn't know the situation injecting his snot-nosed attitude and calling me a whiner, its something he damn sure wouldn't do face to face.

cars

PS    paul, I'll e-mail ya

I guess I won't e-mail ya, I thought the e-mail address was in the profile section. I don't know if I've got an AGP slot or not. I suspect I need more than just a new vid card. It was just barely playable before the new version. I'll just have to wait.  Thanks anyway

cars

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: cars ]

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
i was responding to aztec, who critisized me for not being sympathetic, not you cars

thanks for serving our country
<S>

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
Cars, you are reading entirely too much into what Zig said.

Take it for what it's worth, it's time to upgrade.

I've got a C466, it's over 2 years old. In computer years, that's 100 years old.

It's time for me to upgrade, and I can't afford it. I'll just keep playing with my measly 14fps until I can afford an upgrade.

It's time to upgrade if you've got less than 800Mhz anyway, AH is only the tip of the iceberg- new games coming out in the next few months or Q1 next year will be pushing 800Mhz as far as they can go.

Anything less will be like playing Unreal on a P100.
-SW

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
Zigrat, HT had already pointed out quite clearly that his system had fallen behind...what exactly was the point of then coming to this thread to make a comment like you guys gotta get with the times? Sorry but to me it sounds like kicking someone when their down.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
Cars

if your intrested in sqeezing out every fps u can get out of that card/system you should look in to over clocking that card, as well as other tweaks to increase proformance.

Theres a lot of things you can do, as you may already know since you got your cpu o/c.

If you dont have your bois/harddrive/ram/os already tweaked for max proformance i belive you could get another 10-15 fps, which would intern make it atleast playable. As of now im sure that it is like watching a slide show, no fun atll.

Years ago when i first became a proformance nerd i found Tweak3D to be one hell of a resource for adjusting anything and everything inside your PC.

Another good resource is HardOCP The only draw back of that site is that it is mainly newer equipment, but if you indeed plan on upgrading in the future please buy all means check that site out, they test everything in comparison. Intel does not want you to check out this web site, people will find out how good the currect AMD's are compared to there CPUs (at a fraction of the cost)   :D

Good luck, hope this helps.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Cars,

I have a voodoo 3 2000 PCI card I am not using. If you want, e-mail me you address and I'll send it to ya. This should still play AH and have fps in the 40's up with the latest tweak drivers from the omega web site. I was getting 50's with a voodoo 3 3000 and same driver until the card dumped on me in v1.07.
Drop me a line buddy.

PS to all who are upgrading or have upgraded this is a good time to spread the stuff that still works to others who can use it. If you can do NOTHING else give it to a school to use for kids.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Cars...

My email is webmaster@checksix.net

The card Im willing to sell very inexpensively is a 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP.  $20.  Someone has a PCI version that will work in your PC, if you do not have an AGP slot, grab theirs.  

My other PC has a Voodoo 3 PCI and I was pondering yanking it out, and putting the Voodoo3 AGP there so I could run multiple monitors on mine.  (No more alt-tabbing!  Just do some Delphi coding while my Lancaster continues to climb!)

Take care

highflyer

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
I would have given ya my 3D Prophet Geforce DDR 32 meg for Free, But I already gave it away.

By the looks of your system, I Dont think it may have mattered though :sad: your only PCI right?

All I have is AGP cards.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
cars, If you have an AGP slot, I'll mail you a Diamond Viper 770 TNTII 32 meg card with drivers. Won't cost you a dime.

Email me if this suits you...

hblair@cybrtyme.com

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
Dam there are some nice people in our community<Salute>

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
My hat fell off my X36 for the 3rd time.

Does anyone have one of those new X45's with the cool new spring they can send me? HB?

I'd work overtime for it but am worried about the higher tax bracket.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
Aztec, go take a hike...

right over to the computor store, get yourself and upgrade....

and......

Cars, sorry man, hope to see you soon back up!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2001, 05:56:00 PM »
It might be worth mentioning that the future patches to 1.08 may improve fps somewhat...

This happens with EVERY new version, wait until about patch 3 or 4 before you make any harsh decisions.
 :)