Author Topic: Trim functions  (Read 1293 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Trim functions
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2003, 12:57:59 PM »
Revin picture this, your trimed for 150 with the dial, now go on auto angle to 450 and never turn the dial. Come off auto, what will happen? Not saying I won't implement it, just showing some things that will happen when using it.

HiTech

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Trim functions
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2003, 01:10:24 PM »
why cant ya add a center trim button(s) that center trim. Then trim doesnt react to the the nob until its moved again.

like auto level stays in auto level until you move the stick.

Trim stays centered until you move the trim key/nob.

This way when you come out of auto trim it doesnt jump instantly to the nob position.

Anyway I think trim works well in AH far better then il2 or WBs.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Trim functions
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2003, 02:09:56 PM »
Hitech> I appreciate that HT, I tried this in IL-2 (sorry to keep bringign this game up but its the one I've used analogue trim in) and there have been problems with trim being input and then autopilot being switched off. Could you not perhaps alter the auto pilot so it won't engage if any trim is input (perhaps just to elevator trim?) in the same way that you could not engage autopilot if you are moving the joystick? to engage autopilot you would first have to dial out the elevator trim (or both trims) I know you would be making the aircraft temporarily not as stable as it was with trim but would this be a problem as you would be doing this to engage autopilot anyway?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Trim functions
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2003, 05:22:10 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Revin picture this, your trimed for 150 with the dial, now go on auto angle to 450 and never turn the dial. Come off auto, what will happen? Not saying I won't implement it, just showing some things that will happen when using it.

HiTech

Could you implement a damping slider on the set up window like other inputs................?

Seems to me that coming out of auto level/angle/speed by js action should return you to combat trim, you then leave combat trim by adjusting the rotary or switching it off.........is this new?

Leaving auto state directly by switch or adjustment would be limited by the rate of trim change which is set by the damper..........  

(its too fast now! we can trim out of a compression dive or trim for high speed high g instantanious turn in mid combat!)
Ludere Vincere

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
Trim functions
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2003, 08:51:01 AM »
<>

NP, I can often confuse myself all on my own, it's nice to have someone join in occasionally :)

Don't want to continue the muddle, but
<>

I think it would be more intuitive, and interrupt smooth flight less, if:
-we trim manually to whatever point we want.
-then we hit auto pilot.
-autopilot overrides the rotary and trims us away to where it wants us, at a reasonable speed of trim change, decided by HT (or even Tilt's slider idea).
-then when we turn off autopilot (With a button preferably) control of trim defaults back to the rotary.
-As far as the trim system is concerned, it's as if we'd suddenly moved the rotary, so it returns to where we've set it, at a reasonable speed. We can even start moving the rotary at this stage, and meet it half way, or push past where auto had it.  

-All the system is doing is moving trim at it's 'reasonable rate of change' to wherever the controls are set, be it rotary or Autopilot.