Author Topic: Your Aviation Hero(s)  (Read 1023 times)

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« on: December 07, 2002, 11:33:55 AM »
I was just reading lothar's post on meeting Tex Hill and some of the posted comments. This got me thinking of one of my hero's. So my question is, Who is your's and why? And if you were able to met them.
Well here is mind. Jimmy Dolittle(I think I misspelled his last name). The was a reason that he was picked to lead the first bombing raid on Japan. He recieved the second degree from MIT in Aeronautical Enginering. After the serving Wright brother. He deloped insturmet flying. And a really good racing pilot. I read his book the last time I was stationed ing Korea 12 years ago. After all that he accomplished in his life, he gave the reason why his book was titled "I Could Never Be So Lucky" (well somethimg close to it). And it was marring his wife. My Dad had a neigbor was worked at North American and met and did some work with him. I wished that I could of met and shake his hand. It would of been an honor.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 01:03:11 PM »
Willam "Bill" Sato Jr. -> My Multiengine Instructor of whome i learned a lot of things that have kept me flying in some tight spots ! Bill must have been in his 70s when i flew with him and he told me stories when he started his training in Hawaii on a Stearman. He had roughly 25.000 hours all in small aeroplanes (biggest DC3).
Heroes are everywhere... some are just somewhat hard to spot :)

Cheers
DW6

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 04:14:37 PM »
Cant really think of 'one' guy in particular,I admire ALL the Allied airmen who got into those planes,and did what they did,all heroes :)
Joc

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 05:24:01 PM »
Pappy - hands down.  ;)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 06:08:41 PM »
Mathman.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 06:30:12 PM »
Gabby

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 07:07:38 PM »
Charles A. Lindbergh

I have all the newspapers from the New York Times about his  flight in the Spirit of St. Louis from NY to Paris.  Plus, several original photos.

That’s my aviation hero!

Offline Viper17

• Nickel Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 08:09:31 PM »
Eddy Rickenbacker. Ace of all American Aces in my eyes. Beter than all others after him.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 08:42:49 PM »
Amelia Earhart.

Balls with no balls. :D

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 10:09:11 PM »
My father - wrapped me in a blanket when I was 6 months old and took me for a ride in a J3 Cub.

Joe Yowell - had something to do with the P-39 engine installation, (said the plumbing was a nightmare) developed
d-icing boots for leading edge - sold the patent to Goodyear or Goodrich, forgot which... Flew right seat in his aero-commander 530E from Katama to St. Pete Fla. He lived at Hawk's Nest in the Bahama's. Used the Commander to fly in water.. Soon he had a well, the first on Cat Island, I believe.

Steven Currier Gentle - was a major and a flight instructor during WW2. First (or one of the first) pilot(s) on the scene of the Andrea Doria wreck. Owned Katama Airfield since the 40's - taught my father to fly in 1938, taught me a lot about flying in 1978, QB member and holder of the "Silver Wings"

Martin Kaiden, taught to fly by Steve above. Wrote many  novels about WW2 aircraft.  Nice guy, met him at TICO in 1983: he was the owner of "Iron Annie" tri-motor Junkers.

Robert Hoover, my son and I walked up to him on the ramp during "pit pass" days at Reno Air Races.

Pappy Boyington -  visited him at Reno, bought his book which he autographed for me...

Robert Fulton - had a P51 he would fly in and out of Katama Airfield now and then. Invented the aero-car - fly it in, pull the wings off and drive it downtown - neat machine.  He drove around the world on a motorcycle. Book title is
"One Man Caravan"  

Robert Fulton jr. - flew into Katama one late summer afternoon in a polished Cessna185 - beautiful. He takes (or did take) aerial photographs for National Geographic.  One day I saw the Cessna at MVY, recognized it and went to say hello. His dad was with him so we spoke a while also. Then, Fulton Sr. brought Anne over so I could meet her - Anne Morrow Lindberg.  

Cap'n Gus Groel, flew B24's in Sicily/Italy during WW2. You have all seen that clip where a B24 gets hit by flak and the wing folds up. He saw stuff like that. He bought loads of HD stock when it first came out - he's all set.

Pitt Clay, another that taught aerobatics to aviation cadets in WW2.

I could go on and on, but this is enuf for now...... Yeh, I have nice memories of aviation people I have come to know over the years.  Apologies to all not mentioned....

ah, one more - Thunderjet Jackson, biggest arsehull that ever sat in an airplane. Got so mad at him that I buzzed him once in my mighty Ercoupe and actually tried to hit him - woulda too, prolly.

Hope I didn't bore y'all  

:)

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 10:41:01 PM »
erich hartmann, not only for his exploits in the air, but also for the way he acted while he was a POW of the commies.

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2002, 12:18:01 AM »
Jay Zeamer.........bust buff pilot of them all

Offline Ridge

• Copper Member
      • http://www.combatfs.com/forums/index.php
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2002, 02:39:20 AM »
Joe Foss. Became an ace his 1st week on Guadalcanal.

Sadly, he is seriously ill in the hospital right now with pneumonia-induced coma. Thankfully, he is semi-concious, as he can respond physically to voice commands.

Offline Slayer

• Zinc Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2002, 05:14:48 AM »
Robert T. Smith - AVG
Pappy - nuff said.

Very nice people I met in Oshkosh in 86' and had them autograph their books for me.

Also got a autographed book from the only person said to shoot pappy down and that they were good friends sat at booths across from each other. His book was called Bye Bye Blacksheep.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Your Aviation Hero(s)
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2002, 05:40:56 AM »
Suave, and to a lesser degree Snoopy .