Author Topic: Brittish didn't sink the Bismark  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Brittish didn't sink the Bismark
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2002, 10:37:36 AM »
there are usually charges in key places (during times of war) inside the hull around the keel that when fired sink the ship.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2002, 11:04:16 AM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
there are usually charges in key places (during times of war) inside the hull around the keel that when fired sink the ship.
Actually there are already many holes in a ships' hull, they are primarily for pumping the bilges,(usually the lowest point in a ship) counter flooding for damage control as well as for flooding ammo/gun powder magazines, and most importantly taking on ballast. (A ship takes on ballast to keep the ship on even keel as it uses up it's fuel oil, and keeps it bottom heavy so it doesn't roll over.)

Placing charges on the valves and pumps, plus any one way check valves that may be present, and Voila' the ship starts flooding.

The main reason for scuttling charges is so if the ship is boarded the enemy can't close the valves and salvage the ship.  

However ya wanna look at it, the Bismark crew would not have scuttled thier ship if not for the British Navy forcing that action through armed conflict, therefore the British "destroyed" the Bismark.

End of Story.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2002, 11:18:33 AM by milnko »

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2002, 12:04:00 PM »
no doubt.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2002, 02:14:28 PM »
I don't understand why the germans would send the pride of their navy out into the atlantic to be vastly outnumbered by the battle tested British navy. Seems it would be just a matter of time before it would be found and sunk.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2002, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
I don't understand why the germans would send the pride of their navy out into the atlantic to be vastly outnumbered by the battle tested British navy. Seems it would be just a matter of time before it would be found and sunk.

Bingo.  

Can't say the KM weren't brave.  Also was a HUGE amount of German pride in having Battlehsips at all.  I can't recall the KM plan for ship building's name or number, but it called for several Carrier task forces with new battleships to be built by 1948, I think it was.  I agree with whomever said that the steel and manufacturing capacity would have been better spent on U-boats.  However, after Hood sunk so quickly the guys on the English ships that charged out there wanting nothing more than to go toe to toe with Bismarck exhibited I think extraordinary courage.  As far as they knew the damn thing was a super ship of some kind.  

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2002, 02:52:02 PM »
I know very little about naval combat and this engagement specifically.  I thought a lot of Germans lost their lives at the sinking of this ship.  If so, did someone forget to sound the 'abandon ship' call before scuttling her?

I'd love to hear more details about this.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2002, 04:21:09 PM »
"He" was on fire from bow to stern, and the water was freezing. Most of them burned or drowned despite modest atempts to save them by the British.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2002, 05:03:39 PM »
The british destroyers began to pick up the survivors, but were ordered to move. The fear was they would be sitting ducks for the german u-boats. Many were left in the water.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Kelly[KGN]

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.kg-nord.com
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2002, 08:01:38 PM »
Hi RRAM,

sorry to interrupt you, where are your information from?
TV? Internet? You should go and get some more correct information and less biased.

Or simply just read what Adm. Tovey said about the Bismarck class.

Btw, she did the mile with 31,8 knots.

I'm not in the mood to write a long answer, just try to get some information from people who were working on that ship.

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2002, 06:33:40 AM »
Thrawn, you're comparing oranges to apples. There's no comparison at all between German/british naval tech states and aircrat tech states...

mostly because the Royal Navy tested several concepts to be used on battleships and built quite some of them in the inter-war years, thus learning a lot in the process.

IN comparison the germans between 1918 and 1934 built some under.-average light cruisers and three 12000 ton heavy cruisers with 11' weapons, that were only a partial success. In other words, Versalles forced a tremendous technologic lag on the german engineers.

But in the air Germany was one of the lead nations in the world in those years thanks to their advances in transport aircraft, flying boats, aircraft engines, etc.

So when the moment came to build ships, and to build planes, Germany could only build second-class ships with obsolete features that other nations had stopped doing for not being worth the cost...

but in the air Germany built from the very first moment, and in less than one year, the best fighter in the world of its time.

Originally posted by Kelly[KGN]
Hi RRAM,

sorry to interrupt you, where are your information from?
TV? Internet? You should go and get some more correct information and less biased.

Or simply just read what Adm. Tovey said about the Bismarck class.

Btw, she did the mile with 31,8 knots.

I'm not in the mood to write a long answer, just try to get some information from people who were working on that ship.

Tovey could tell anything you want to say here. Churchill also said that the Bismarck was a monster, the germans said it was unsinkable (oh yeah, but it went down as any other ship).

Fact remains: the Bismarck was the worse "modern" battleship afloat in 1941 ("modern" means built after the 15 year" battleship build vacation" Forced by the Washington treaty), and was worse than many older battleships around.

Comparing other nation's "modern" battleships to Bismarck:

The British KGV class was overall better than the Bismarck, while displacing 15000 tons less at full load.

the US Battleships were WAY better than what the Bismarck could offer, at around 15-10000 tons less.

the French Richelieus were also much more efficient and well protected ship than the Bismarck, at 14000 tons less.

The Italian Littorios were also way overweight and had problematic weaponry. However they were well protected (Against anything that hit them OVER the waterline, because under there was that damned Plugliese anti torpedo system...ergcs.. ;)) and well suited for their main role (sail and fight in the mediterranean).

The japanese Yamatos...well, you don't want me to compare the Bismarck with the Yamato...right? ;) :D :D

Face it, the Bismarck were badly designed ships, based on dated concepts and with enormous design blunders.

Oh, the speed you mentioned on the mile was done by a "light" bismarck displacing just avobe 42000 tons (And probably running the engines over their specified power).
On May'41, Bismarck sailed with full overload, wich meant around 51500 tons. Believe me those 9500 tons did SLOW down the ship quite a bit. The ship hardly could steam at 29 knots, and that being generous.

Finally about my sources... a lot of internet, yes, but over all http://www.warship1.com , the best naval site I've ever seen, and with a discussion board where real battleship nuts are commenting,  talking and discussing all day long about their favorite hobby: Battleships.

It also has a wonderful documentation zone, listing all the fleets of the world and many of their ships.
And finally a great essay zone were engineers and people who know their business publish texts about ships ,their technology, etc... some of them are really BRILLIANT (if you're interested in naval artillery you CAN't miss reading Mr. Nathan Okun's essays)

Finally I own a quite small but very good bibliography about WWII battleships (namely the books of Friedman's and Garzke&Drulin ... wich casually are considered to be authors of  the best battleship books ever published ;))

just a piece of advice. Aftet WWII aircraft, WWII battleships are my second big passion. I know well what I'm talking about here, believe me.

Is pretty ironic that after so many time of being called "luftwhiner" someone tells me to be "Biased" against something german, isn't it?... :D.

P.S. My favorite battleship of all times is Bismarck. Those looks are simply awesome, even when the ship itself was little more than a piece of floating battleshit. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2002, 06:38:16 AM by RRAM »

Offline Kelly[KGN]

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2002, 08:15:05 AM »
Hi,

okay, i think your answer is worth a reply.
;)

First, if your first passion is airwar and second naval warfare, it's the other way with me, naval warfar is my passion, and brought me to airsims, because actually there aren't any worthy naval sims around...at least online.

I know warships1.com well, and think you are right, it's one of the only sources I would quote, but it only shows stats.
And I don't like stats, because numbers show nothing, only the overview about all numbers could say a bit...but still not everything.
All other stats are...uhm...funny.
Comparing armor for example...if you really think the thickness shows everything you are totally wrong.
You have also to compare the special type of steel used for it.
Talking bout japanese ships, the steel used for japanese ships was/is known to be a low quality steel, which had not the same abillity to withstand penetrations like (for exampel) US or German steel.
That decreased with the war for german steel due to lack of resources. But we're comparing stats.
So the thinner belt armor of the Bismarck class was made out of better steel than the thicker belt of the Yamato. What does it say?
Only one thing, that stats won't work all the time, and you can't compare the plain thickness because of different material.
So, which armor was better? I dunno, please don't tell me you know.
:-)

One the other hand you are somewhat right, when you say the Bismarck class had flaws, yes it had. But to say KGV was the overall better ship is BS.
And just ignoring quotes of people who fought that ship is a little ignorant, I don't quote a politican, are some marketing guy, I quote the man who basically chased, fought and sunk her.
If you really believe some internet source has deeper insight than Adm. Tovey, go ahead.
At least he didn't shared your opinion about KGV vs. Bismarck. I would have to look what he said exactly, and it would be prolly anyway a bit wrong, for I don't have the quote in english, but it was basically, that he said, he won't think about what had happened if the KGV met Bismarck in her full operational state, and not wrecked.
Please give a quote of a person with different point of view and higher reputation in naval stuff and I will think again about my point of view. But plain stats, and internet hobbyproject are not interesting for me.

Btw, where the hell you found information about Bismarck class being overweighted?
It correct that german guns were overweighted, which was a big problem for all german ships, exspecially for the later destroyers.
But the ships self were not.
Only because the official first plan shows a different number than later was measured doesn't mean the plans didn't change.
Why you think Tirpitz had a higher draught than Bismarck? Simply because the put on more weight and that pushed the hull deeper into the water? :D
Please read some information from a german shipyard.
On the other hand, I could also allege that KGV made her mile also with little weight, so she must been also slower fitted out for war, right?
You can say much about german ingeneers, but not that the german habbit of bureaucracy did forget some information.
The mile was taken in full war state, and not in some special event to impress somebody.

And something about my own point of view, I don't say the Bismarck class was the ubership so many see it in them. It was some kind of a racing horse, with great abillities, and some dangeous flaws (the light protected powersupply of the main turrets for example) while the KGV (to stick to that comparison) was imho some kind of a working horse.

KGV was the better choose for the RN, Bismarck for the KM, because both ships were planed to fullfill different duties.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2002, 08:48:09 AM »
Originally posted by Kelly[KGN]
Hi,

So the thinner belt armor of the Bismarck class was made out of better steel than the thicker belt of the Yamato. What does it say?
Only one thing, that stats won't work all the time, and you can't compare the plain thickness because of different material.
So, which armor was better? I dunno, please don't tell me you know.

(Raising hand)

I have a question.

Both Yamato and Bismarck were attacked by superior forces and pounded mercilessly.  Anyway to compare those two poundings to see which one took the most damage?  

Also, how did German Fire control of large calibre naval rifles compare to Japanese?  I would assume the US Iowas had best fire control?

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Kelly[KGN]

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2002, 09:13:41 AM »
Hi,

uhm, very hard to tell, due to the different kind of damage they faced.

I'm not 100% sure about what kind of damage the Yamato took in detail so my idea is only vague and nothing I would really believe in.
But Yamato faced a heavy air bombing with airtorpedos while Bismarck took worst shellfire and ship torpedos.

For what I know the torpedos didn't penetrate the basic structur of Bismarck's hull, while the shells totally wrecked all upper superstructurs.
To quote Tovey again, he ordered to stop shellfire and sink her with torpedos, because he was pretty confused about the fact that both RN ships were not able to sink here with their mainguns.

On the other hand, Yamato took much more explosive damage by bombs and around the same damage from torpedos, although I think that the US airtorpedos were using less explosives than ship torpedos, please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not sure in that special case or time period.

But I think Yamato was sunk...in the true meaning of the word. Sunk, not scuttled.
I dunno about who took more damage, but at least Bismarck seemed to could take more. Just my opinion.

Another example could be, the heavy airraid on Tirpitz, after it, her superstructure was also very damaged, but not a single bomb did penetrate the 2nd deck armor and reached vital parts of the ship. Although others claim here their deckarmor was a joke. :D
She took even a 8t bomb full hit and was still swimming. Although nearly worthless due to the totally damaged bow. I think after the tallboy hit she was only able to go 7knots.

Again, I don't say it's a fact, because nobody can really count all important points, where the shell/bombs hit exactly and so on...but my personal point of view is, that Bismarck took heavier damage.

And the end it doesn't matter much anyway, both sunk.
;)

Offline Kelly[KGN]

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2002, 09:40:39 AM »
lol. forgot the question about the firecontrol.
;)
Sorry.

Visual firecontrol was in both case absolutly excellent. Not much more to say about it.
Some nightbattles in early war battles proof that well for japan.

Radar guided firecontrol is another case, while the japanese simply seem to ignore the fact that there is something like radar, the german navy was very aware of it. Although some wise guy in Berlin didn't understand what it means and let that part of sience totally out of sight - at least for the navy, they used later some kind of luftwaffen radar which was changed for ships.
Prinz Eugen got one of those totally oversized systems late in war, but if I remember right it was replaced because it couldn't work proper at sea situation.

Scharnhorst was even ordered to turn her anyway weaker radar off at xmas '43.

And you are right if you say Iowa class had one of the (if not the) best firecontrol.
Would be interesting to compare it with the late KGV class firecontrol or the successor class of the KGV class.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2002, 09:49:45 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Also, the opening tactic used by Admiral Holland when he decided to charge the Bismark and Prinz Eugan head long only allowed to bring the foward guns of the Hood and Price of Wales to bear on the German ships.  The Bismark and Prinz Eugan were able to bring all their guns to action from the start.
Ack-Ack

In his book about the underwater search for the Bismarck's wreck, Ballard explains that, fully aware of the Hood's weak top armor, Holland wanted to close the distance between his force and the german ships as fast as possible to avoid shells coming from above. At a closer range, shells would have had flatter trajectories and would have crashed against the side armor. So I wouldn't call Holland's decisions 'bad tactics', like some 'armchair tacticians' dare to do...

The combination of skill and luck showed by the german gunners sealed the fight.

to the Hood's crew.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman