Author Topic: The Ultimate Sound Pack released  (Read 943 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
The Ultimate Sound Pack released
« on: March 20, 2001, 05:38:00 AM »
<salesman mode>
"Greetings shoppers! Are you tired of engine sounds that resemble a diahrrea-stricken gorrila instead of a Pratt & Whitney radial? Are you sick of gun sounds that are actually recordings of Fatty's mom in a belching contest? Look no further! For The Ultimate Sound Pack has arrived!"
</salesman mode>

It never works, does it? Well you read right I'm FINALLY DONE!!! Thanks to many people I am finished and this beast is ready for download. A few nutcases helped me in de-bugging these sounds, although only two actually told me about anything. (gee thanks Rip!   ) Lephturn and Fishu have had one version or another for at least the past 3 weeks. Leph hates Funked's P-47 engine run (drove him mad) so if you saw him running around firing at "Hippie Angels" you know who to blame. Using the little-known feature of "Paste-mix" I revised the tank gun with part of Mitsu's tank sound. Every gun sound has been reworked, tinkered with, or changed in some way. Fire off a 30mm cannon and it sounds like a 30 mil, same goes for any 20mm cannons.

I added a sharp whistle in place of the stock bomb drop click. If you like it enough, just copy it into every plane and have at it. I didn't place a copy in each plane's folder since you wouldn't hear it in every plane. You will notice that the Ar234 has almost no flap sound or gear sound. I lowered the volume on those since you wouldn't hear them over the scream of those Jumo engines. Since the engine sound is so loud you'll notice I borrowed AKWabbit's screaming stall horn. I couldn't hear the stock stall horn, and this thing lets you know when you're barely entering stall condition. Stress is also cranked up so you can hear it.

In all there's some 311 sounds in this sound pack. Your average sound pack uses a different sound set for each plane. Why do this? Last I checked both the F6F and F4U use practically the same engine! Since an engine sounds nearly the same regardless of what plane you stick it in, I just used sounds that work for each engine type. No, this is not an attempt to create a historical sound pack. I used sounds that I thought kicked ass! No more putting around in a 2,200 hp fighter using the engine sound recorded from a dang Cessna! Gun sounds are completely new; thanks to Whels1 letting me borrow his .50 cal sound.

I cleaned up each sound, or built new sounds when I couldn't find any that worked. The MG 151/20 gun sound I built by hand out of the stock 20mm gun sounds. Doesn't resemble them, does it? Hispano sounds are something I toiled over for nearly a week before coming to the way they are set now. Combine two of the 20mm gun sounds and you get a pretty killer impression of one. 30 caliber MG's don't sound like an automatic BB gun anymore, and 50 cals actually have a slight ring to them. Listen carefully and you'll pick it out.

I know there's going to be some sounds that aren't really hot. The link below is to the readme file. Make sure you read the ENTIRE THING before downloading this sound pack. There's a large catch in regards to bandwidth you have to know, which is explained in this file. When the next version of AH is released you can just copy the sounds from one aircraft to another. At least in the case of variants. This pack ran my sound resources dry so I don't plan on making an addition to this.

The Ultimate Sound Pack

Vaporware huh Wobble?  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
Very neat, Flakbait.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.  Im one of those guys who likes to fly with the engine noise level way up there.

I got to give credit to Fscott especially on his FW engine sound. It was a thing of beauty.  

Im going to give yours a try.  Thanks again.

NineZ(JagdN1ne)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
Not my fault if you break windows or cause a 3.6 earthquake by turning the volume up. I've had the gun sounds alone vibrate my floor! Only a 40 watt sub-woofer too  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
WTG Flakbait!  

I'll be grabbing the completed copy right away.  Most excellent!

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »
Leph if you're ever in the states stop by and I'll buy you a beer. Granted you never really said which sounds stunk or ruled (except Funky's P-47 engine) but you still helped me out. All I got from Rip was a quickie note saying two squaddies loved them. I plan on swiping his wallet to buy those beers!  

And yes I'm stalking this post. This is my baby and I want to make sure she lives up to expectations. Even though I hate the Spit's engine run  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School

Sturm

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
flakbait I have the MG 151/20 sound file if you need it.  I also have access to many other gun noises from the mod I did for Close Combat III Western Front.  Let me know I have Mk IV's as well.

------------------
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
 wow!  This is a fantastic collection.

Thanks Flakbait. I'm downloading and wil try them later when I have time. But I do appreciate all your time and workyou put into this!!!

I think I'l have to burn all the sounds I've collected from here onto a seperate CDrom. With yours it's now a collection that amounts to almost 100mb. And that's all zipped too  

-Westy

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks Westy, took me about 6 months to built my sounds folder up this large. Another month or two of editing here and there to weed out glitches. Nothing worse than an engine sound that pops when it loops. What got me was the roar of six 50s in the D-hog just making it over the engine. Thanks to working on this I now know what plane uses which sounds, and how to give them a little kick. If anyone wants this info just look in the sounds directory for a given plane. Once I figure out who did the stock RATO sound I can send them a dump-truck loaded with mud. Why? Rockets don't have a slight pitch up when they fire.

Naturally I've got a few gripes. The Spit's engine didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Sounds like a Cessna or Piper Cub to me, annoying to no end. Both P-51's could be higher in pitch, but the sound pops when you try upping it. One of those that works best when left at the default pitch level. The Dora and Ta-152 are the same way. But hey, it sounds great and there's just enough bass to vibrate the floor at high RPMs! But as I warned above, don't blast the volume if your windows are near new. Even though my sub is only a 40 watter the window not 6 feet away will rattle when I fire the guns in any Fw-190.

Ohh, and watch out for the P-38; she gets real LOUD at full power!

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
Flak, is there some reason your site is down? I notice a lot of the sites listed on the UBB here are frequently down. WTF gives with that?

------------------
Voss
13th TAS

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2001, 10:01:00 AM »
Voss my site is up and running. I just checked both it and my hit counters; everything works. The download counter alone is currently at 75 and climbing. The last hit from the download counter was about 5 minutes ago. Check the URL or enter it manually and it should come up. My friend's site that I'm borrowing space from is up and running too. Odds are it's a SNAFU on your end; maybe your browser doesn't like my page. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened since NS 6 cheez-balls have yelled at me for crashing their shiny new browser. Something to do with the counter code and the javascripts I use.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
Flak, will the pack automatically create the correct folders for all the planes? Or do I have to copy/paste?

------------------
Semper Fi, Do or Die! Kill, kill, kill!!!
;):D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »

Originally posted by flakbait:
All I got from Rip was a quickie note saying two squaddies loved them. I plan on swiping his wallet to buy those beers!  

Hey, I can't be responsible for my squaddies not replying to you directly!  I sent out a note with the info, and asked they directly respond to you...since I don't do custom sounds.  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
thanks Flakbait
both downloaded in less than a minute at work  
this connection spoils me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2001, 10:18:00 AM »
Both files are self-extracting exe's, meaning they will create any folders that aren't there and over-write the ones that already exist. This is why I posted the readme file and the warning in bright yellow at the top. Make a back-up of your sounds folder in another directory unless you don't care if you lose sounds. In which case simply tell the program where Aces High's sound folder is and that it can over-write at will. You'll see a button labeled "..." which you should click. Find where you installed Aces High in that window and highlight the sounds folder, then hit OK. At the bottom there's three radio buttons:

Confirm Overwrite: It will ask you if you want to over-write each file

Don't Overwrite: It won't overwrite anything, just install anything that doesn't have the same name as an existing folder/file.

Overwrite: wipes any file in the sounds directory with the same name and installs everything.

If Zip Central had the option of automatically backing up a directory before the exe runs I'd use it. But it doesn't, so you have to. You can simply drag and drop your sounds directory to another location and tell the program to create the sounds folder. It will do just that.

Rip, I know I was just pulling your chain!   As a movie producer once said "If you get perfect audio in a film the audience forgets it's even there. If you get really crappy sound you'll hear about it from everyone. So aim for the middle and pray you hit gold."

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School

[This message has been edited by flakbait (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »

Whines, not-so witty remarks, and general annoyances should be directed to someone who cares   (Image removed from quote.)

Would "Iloveit,thankyouFlakbait" stand in that collumn ?  

Kuddos man, great work !
<S!>
('xcept of course, for that P47 engine, hehehe...)

------------------
MASS/SAW

"I am distracted when I talk to my privates".
Wobble

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-20-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.