Author Topic: To the guys that have been here awhile  (Read 3399 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
To the guys that have been here awhile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2002, 09:59:16 AM »
I also miss the early days. The MA definetly had a different feel to it. Channel one usually had constructive stuff going on (usually:)). I miss the old familiar handles like hollywood, wardog, torque, even fishu, etc. We had our moments, like when that guy called me a n*gger, and I posted a screenshot of it here. ;) Sorry pyro.

Channel 1 these days is so full of useless childish babble when I fly I actually sometimes squelch it. IMO, HT needs to do something with channel 1. It reminds me of junior high school at times. Sometimes it can be funny, but usually just filled with clueless dorks.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2002, 10:00:36 AM »
Originally posted by Rude
Rolling Planeset = Bliss

It is working for warbirds so well? :)

I hated that, was main reason I kept lookin in on AH.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2002, 10:05:14 AM »
I agree with wotan in his observations and recomendations.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2002, 10:05:25 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty
I only really fly Special Events and then wherever my squad decides to fly after the Friday TOD.  I don't fly any other times.  *shrug*  got tired of the MA a looooong time ago.

Our squad is sort of in the opposite phase, they have tired of the events - just pulled out of the TOD series in fact.  Just wasn't fun for us anymore.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2002, 10:42:13 AM »
I kinda miss the old days where the cap for the MA was about 50 people. Ahhh the good ole days.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2002, 10:56:53 AM »
When the MA broke 100 on an average night I was amazed.  The smaller arena sizes were fun.   They had a sort of honor or chivarly to them :)  Kinda like the BoB before Germany began targeting civilians.  Aww, good ol days.  :D

Nowadays, it seems everyone is trying to get that huge score or game it and milk it for all its worth.  Furballing is fun, but when it becomes a horde on a horde, its a complete mess.  Don't get me wrong, that has a chaotic-fun appeal to it *sometimes*... it gets old.  Its rare to find a *GOOD* 1v1 fight unless ya verbally set it up before hand :).
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2002, 10:58:25 AM »
It's not the lower numbers that I miss, it's the mindset.
We will never go back to that.

Fortunately, there are still lots of nice poeple in here (including some of the new chaps, most are decent poeple... always a few rotten apples. I found out the same standards are found in RL...unfortunately :))

*added:

What realy bothers me today, is that you have to fill your enemy with lead till he goes *boom*. or otherwise some shmuck will come and shoot at the tumbling flaming wreck.
I realy despise(sp?) that.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 11:17:35 AM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2002, 11:11:09 AM »
The entire "feel" of the game haschanged dramatically since the beginning (I started in late 99). Truthfully I lved the open beta up thru 1.4 the best. Been going downhill since 1.4 (IMHO). I'm one of those yoyo's who'll up against a good stick 15-20 times even if I keep getting hammered. I do realize that the game is much more complete...and realistic...afterall ww2 WAS a gangbang. But I miss "the old days".

I'm on break # 3 or 4 now and will be back for 1.11...or the holidays. But it's evolved into a differnt game...the real guestion is if I/we evolve with it. Seems like an "air only" arena would be a welcome addition.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2002, 11:13:56 AM »
I too, miss the old days. We were a close knit group, small and competitive, but friends all the same.

When you engaged a P51 or P38, you knew it would most likely be a Yeager or a Rude. A fight on your hands to say the least. You looked for 109's 'cause it might be HB or an F4u 'cause it was probably Torque. Just stayin' outta the way of them taters and you were alright, lol.

Now, just not the same. I can't tell you the last time I had a fight with Yeager or Rude or any of the rest of the old guys. I relished the fight with these guys, mentioned and not mentioned. Didn't matter a whit who won. The game was the fight. Now, to me, its just whoever is the fastest and outnumbered.

Its funny, I couldn't wait for AH to get bigger with lots of players. Guess I got what I asked for, just didn't bargain for the result.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2002, 11:17:07 AM »
I think it's the nature of the beast. As long as this grows and gets bigger, a wider spread of players comes in. We have a more representative example of the average real life population. As Saw states, generally nice people, a few rotten apples.

I can't say I miss early days. I think I rather like current situation. Numbers in themselves make a difference in my online experience and, no matter how badly ballanced, I enjoy more my time online when there are a lot of airplanes around....especially enemas  :)

I pretty much agree with Ch.1 degeneration. Maybe ;) I have my own share on this. Again, I think it's got to do with numbers. But I do not find, roughly speaking, an offensive situation. Some folks just need to grow some skin, and some others a bit of manners.

Cheers,

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2002, 11:53:11 AM »
I still have rose colored glasses for SVGA days myself  Oedipus :) Even there though it was not really optimal when you get down to it, at least for FR. First, fights could be somewhat hard to find because there weren't that many people on (FR), even in prime time. 30 or so in the Pac and 50 or 60 in the ETO would be a good night :) And, chivalry came naturally too. On a Saturday morning, when there were 4Bz, 3Cz and 6 Az up, you didn't want to vulch anyone for fear they would take their ball and go home :) I remember in the last weeks before AOL, they used the small maps in FR which was a heck of a furball arena.

I took a year off AW right at the start of Gamestorm. Actually flew in the Big Week mission, had my two major drops, then gave it a whirl again a year later when the monkey returned. I knew something was up when I "chased" a high p-51 across a whole sector only to have him make one dive on an undefended base and get killed by ack. WTF? Why didn't he boom n zoom me to death? Then you noticed these big one-sided radar bars off in far away sectors of the huge pac map. You country was doing it, the others were doing it, nobody seemed to really want to mix it up - just capture beaten-down bases that wouldn't even result in a reset. It's still not quite that bad here, but it does seem to be human nature to head in that direction if the opportunity exists.

Charon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 11:55:47 AM by Charon »

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2002, 12:01:57 PM »
Split the main and limit numbers?  I think not.  This was done in AW and it hurt gameplay.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2002, 12:06:15 PM »
I miss the fact that fights use to actually be spread out.

There was a large number of people scattered in between fields, mixed up between friendlies and enemies going at it.

Now, there's only a handful of people that will venture a lil ways away from their base and they promptly get shot down by the opposing hoarde.

Even with numbers advantages, these people are for the most part timid gang bangers and they don't go too far away from the pack.

Regardless of the map, this thing is turning more into "radish High" over run with late war uber rides.

Head2Head arenas are more fun, atleast they fight there.
-SW

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2002, 12:21:25 PM »
I don't remember the release version but, yeah, I miss the old days when we had the beta map and under 100 players.

Would spend many happy hours in buffs with KG200 ( Bluedog and Dead) to move dirt.  Those were the days :)

I even remember the first time I saw the pizza and beer...was amazed at it.

Kinda like loosing your virginity...it looses it's special feeling :(
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline OZkansas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2002, 12:53:40 PM »
This game was great before Wotan and Beefcake signed up:)