Author Topic: Too much stick bounce  (Read 1985 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2002, 01:10:37 AM »
bocko I had the MS PP with FFB and a twist rudder. I loved it but the plastic parts died quick and they are now out dated and no longer made. Even with that I had a lot of bounce. I have adjusted and a lot of bounce is gone. Not enough to get pres hits but playable. It may be my system.
Thanks for all the help guys

Offline finisher

• Zinc Member
Dumb question :)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2002, 01:24:30 AM »
What is stick spike?

a kind of nail? :)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2002, 06:09:04 AM »
if you look in the scaling pictures above, in the top black box, there is a line strait across. This stick has no spikes. As your stick gets older, or your win calibration slips, you'll start getting spikes. As you move your stick on the screen (stick cal screen) you'll seeing the lines move to show you the inputs you are doing. When you get spikes it will look like a heart monitor with out you touching the stick.... lots of little spikes. This can give you the "don't move your stick so fast error"

To get rid of the spikes, recal your stick in windows, then in AH, then if they are still present, slide the dead band up a bit. Don't move the dead band any more than you have to.

Maddog Joe

Offline finisher

• Zinc Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2002, 05:01:43 PM »
A-ha

Thanks a lot!

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2002, 06:11:32 PM »
See my reply at the following thread http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71311 as it may help with the nose bounce.
:)

Offline elstevie

• Copper Member
      •  http://stevenewing_1.tripod.com/bf109/
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2002, 12:08:50 PM »
LOL That link on previous page is from the one and only RWY's page.Havent seen that in ages.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2002, 12:36:03 PM »
I find that messing with these settings only hamper the problem.

I had to set the dampen/deadband slightly on the pitch because I get a split sec reverse command.

I noticed last night that the nose bounce is different for different airplanes and some planes have little to no bounce at all. Because I noticed this I decided to fly all planes to see which ones do this. As for right now, I notice the F4F-4 and the Yak9-U are the worse ones. The Tempest being the best so far. Killing/Straffing ground targets in the F4F-4 is practicaly imposable as well as shooting aircraft in a turn fight.

I have tried all suggestions by you all and I get bittersweet results...Ill keep trying:(

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2002, 05:12:24 AM »
In the stick.cfg the bottom 3 lines are the ones that adjust the stick scaling / response curve.

Of these 3 lines the top one is the pitch. Here are my current settings.

The first columns are virtually flat which gives very fine control around the centre point for lining up a target.

Dead band and damping i set to zero however your last post suggets you may need some.

Personally I also always trim my pitch down before fighting, meaning i have to maintain some back pressure on the stick to fly level.
I find it a lot easier to slightly release stick pressure to line up a con quickly rather than stop pulling and then start pushing stick away which i always find leads to over correction errors.

YMMV but given the trouble your having anythings worth a go.

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Stick bounce
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2002, 07:49:51 AM »
I agree, I have had stick bounce for 1 1/2 years for this game. Never got rid of it.  This game is just to complicated.  Once you start missing with drivers I always end up missing up my computer.  It's a great game but no longer fun for me.  :(

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2002, 03:15:17 PM »
I started flying many aircraft and found out that most early war planes have unplayable nose bounce while other late war planes are more stable. This makes me want to believe that it is the game and not my stick.

I fly for a living and can asure you that real airplanes do not have this bounce. Trim response and hellashious turbulent air yes, but no bounce.

...however, Im still trying.......

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2002, 03:41:50 PM »
I don't know if this will help any one, but this is one thing I found.

I got a web cam as a gift, so I figured I'd throw it in and test it out. Problem was I had my stick running thru a RadioShack adapter to turn the analog plug to a USB plug. No problem, plug the stick back into the sound board joystick plug and run the webcam. BIG MISTAKE !!!

No matter how much I messed with the stick settings I could NOT get the nose bounce to settle down !!! I've been flying over a year and have a good idea what to fiddle with, but nothing helped. Out went the camara, and back in went the adapter !!!

2 mins of adjusting, and no bounce again ! Maddog is happy :D  LOL!! If ya got an analog stick plugged into your sound card ya might want to try the adapter. RadioShack sells them for like $10 and it a piece of cake to set-up. Plug your stick into it, plug it into a USB port, boot computer, calibrate in windows, calibrate in AH done !

Don't give up !

Maddog Joe

Offline Monark

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.danmonster.com
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2003, 10:08:14 AM »
Has anyone used the Radio Shack USB adapter with Windows XP? I saw that it was for Win98, So I dont know if it would work with this version...

"It's not stupid... it's advanced."

Monark

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2003, 10:18:23 AM »
oops sorry, mine is win98 SE.... the best gaming platform !  don't know about XP, but the guy who told me about the unit was first in line for XP when it came out, and it was after that he told me about the adapter so I'm thinking he had no trouble with it.

Maddog Joe

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2003, 05:23:36 PM »
This is what I have:

Gutted out Gateway 2000 to:

Duron 800
GA-7IEX4 AGPset (motherboard with USB)
GeForce2MX GA-GF1280 Grafics Accelerator
Windows ME
256MB Ram
CH Fighterstick USB
No Rudder Peds :-(

Nose bounce on all aircraft, unplayable with slower early models

Frame rate staedy mid 30s in clean maps up to 45, 12-20 in dirty maps with rates down to 9 when real bzy or around small puffy clouds.

I updated this computer myself but I know nothing about them. I am lucky I got it running but do not know how to tweek anything.

I do not understand how to run the CH products control manager and adjust everything inside AH manager.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 05:26:09 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Too much stick bounce
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2003, 01:10:14 PM »
Curtiss;

I'm on a Dell 8100, Windows ME, with CH Fighterstick USB.  The attached picture shows the Roll settings -- Pitch is set the same.  See if these settings give any relief from the nose bounce.

MachNix

« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 01:17:41 PM by MachNix »