Author Topic: WW2OL - Yes another 500 post thread - Revisted  (Read 1654 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
WW2OL - Yes another 500 post thread - Revisted
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2003, 01:31:13 PM »
I fired it up and tried it again.  After about 1 hour I decided I'd rather be reading "The Bear and the Dragon".  Those that have read the book know exactly what I mean.

AKDejaVu

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2003, 01:32:37 PM »
I would'nt want to go into any of the buildings in WW2OL the paper thin walls ruin the immersion in an instant and the FPS component is very poor at best.

So what does the hatch control do? it's in the keymapper is it there by error?

I have the RPM controls mapped to my stick already but it's the mixture settings that don't seem to actually do anythign in the game, is this another feature not yet supported or an error in the keymapper? The sooner I can nail down these spurious keys accounted for the sooner I can get my profile done and I'll post it up for others.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2003, 02:14:03 PM »
Tried WWOL again(4th time?) and I finally thew the box in the trash!

Biggest waste of time and money I've ever seen!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2003, 02:21:39 PM »
I believe the only engine controls at the moment are the RPM speeds. The Hatch=H..beats me. I have H mapped for towing, the O opens cockpits and hatches on tanks..door on trucks, does other things on other type vehicles.

HC

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2003, 02:38:40 PM »
Mmm what I thought just an anomally in the keymapper, just wanted to be sure they did'nt actually do anything before removing those commands from the profile. Spent somemore time in a tank trudling around Gent, did'nt have a clue what I was doing and the players not very helpful apart from demanding alift then not actually saying which direction they wanted to go...ah the life of a taxi driver in WW2OL. Still have very unstable FPS, it can be around 45 one moment, then back to 25 then to 2 for no apparent reason and all the time still stuttering even when at best FPS. Clouds not the big problem they used to be although my FPS went from 35 to 15 diving back down from 13k.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 02:40:43 PM by Revvin »

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2003, 02:40:47 PM »
I was actually having a little fun this time out but with the next to last patch, continuous CTD's. The last patch didn't fix anything so...going to try again tonight, if I CTD, I cancel my account and throw the the thing in the garbage.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2003, 03:19:09 PM »
FWIW, my last attempt this time around ended in CTD. Just sayin'.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2003, 03:22:11 PM »
Let me know when they offer a free trial pass for a couple of weeks, I'll try it out then. The whole "Battle Crusier 3000AD" aspect of the launch has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth for rewarding them with any cash before I personally feel it is fully justified.

Charon

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2003, 04:11:05 PM »
Not so much a nobody but squads tune out default radio freqs and they simply don't hear you. You should have been tuned to the mission freq and the objective freq. As to where you were needed...Gent:-). Someone computed that we spent 5k ppl defending it and depleting the 3 towns next to it. That thingt you didnt see could have been and probably was some air assets, Stukas are a bear on infantry. I drove a Matty 25 mins from an outskirt town to have my engine damaged by that 109. I was about 2 mins from Gent when the engine gave out. War is Hell. I'm sorry you didn't get hooked up with a squad. You were in the thick of things at Gent. We finally lost it last night.

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2003, 04:47:11 PM »
Missions are usually just objective bound. You launch and head for the fight. You should be able to get a ride from a busy launch point to the objective. This will tune two radios to mission and one to objective. The objective freq includes any air, land sea otw to that particular target. Grab a mission and just expect to be in a fight. Some ppl post more info on a mission but most are minimal on info. They assume you will get to the fight and see what is needed. You can put a timer on launching a mission so that ppl can bunch up, but once it begins, ppl stragle in unless they are fairly well organized. Alone is just a really tough way to play.

HC

The air war is picking up. More ppl able to play further down the processor line. I got that 109 but someone got me from in town. Some AAA guy.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2003, 05:51:40 PM »
Each time I launched it was in somebody's mission and each person that received a lift from me on my Vickers 'herrock' and 'king163' were both on the same channel as I, enough to ask for a lift but not to actually explain what we were going to do to capture or make and progress, infact 'king163' openly called me an idiot because he was killed by an AI guard tower. There were many more tanks and troops aroudn Gent who never answered my pleas for help even though they freely chatted amongst themselves on the same radio channel.

WW2OL's communication system is clunky enough without the community doing it's best to ignore new players (or in my case old timers returning and learning the ropes again)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2003, 07:18:10 PM »
Rats agree on the comm being not up to what they want in the final analysis. You gotta remember, most ppl don't have an idea of a big plan and just arrive and kill stuff and try to take back flag points. Hell, you step up and decide what to do and take command:-) I bet lots of ppl would enjoy having someone lead em. If you are ever on at night, tune to my ID, and we will get into something.

Just for giggles...My High FPS settings.

High Performance
Nvidia are optimized for 1024x768x32
Some ppl have to go to 800/600x16..play with 16 and 32 bit settings
NoLockToRrefresh is checked
2d and or 3d sound settings..test for best fps
Sound Driver is for your Card and not Generic d3d
slider to midlevel
Depending on the number of voices your sound card can produce in hardware, voices seem to work best at 16
All LOD boxes checked, shawdows to none, bullets to 16
Only box checked in Textures is reduce textures.

This is pretty much the fastest settings you can have.

HC

HC

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2003, 06:40:59 AM »
CRS should give the code out to the community.

Falcon 4 was a bug ridden POS piece of software (due to the publishers idiocy, not the programmers) until the community got hold of the code.

It's taken years, but now it's in a state that's quite good. PLUS it's evolved from being an F16 only sim to one where you can fly loads of aircraft (including my favourite; the F4 Phantom, still waiting for the F5).

There are people in the community that are better at what they do than are the CRS. Plus, Open Source means the best code/design for a particular task is chosen; it is not just given to a person who is reasonably good at it and will give it a shot.

WWIIOL looks dated, yet performance is horrible. With F4, it took a couple of years before the average machine could run it satisfactory. WWIIOL is following the same path, only doing much, much worse.

Now I have to go to the bank to lend money so I can pay my rent. Toodlepipski.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2003, 08:38:29 AM »
I tried it again....seemed better than before.

The truth of the matter for me personally, is that I just don't have the time to invest in learning another sim. Maybe ina few when I retire.

As to HC's cheerleading, I respect and admire his love and loyalty to a product and team...in the final analysis, if he is having fun, that's what it should all be about.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2003, 02:48:54 PM »
Well, after re-joining WW2OL during the last "Welcome Back, Soldier" promotion, I took another shot at trying to learn and love this game.

Alas, it was not to be. I just can't fall in love with an online game like this where interaction between the combatants is non-existent.  I'm one of those who think that WW2OL could use an open radio buffer. I guess I thrive on all the different personalities you meet and kill online in games like AH. In WW2OL, it is difficult to meet anyone, even people in your own country!

I've tried twice now to like WW2OL, but both times I've found myself bored and lonely. I just cancelled my account again for what will probably be the last time. I don't think I'll be trying it again.