Author Topic: racial profiling  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2003, 10:21:30 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Make black people sit at the back of the bus, while you are at it.

huh?

pull out a 60's race card and compare to Middle Eastern terrorism?

what a stretch...............
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
racial profiling
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2003, 10:23:06 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
huh?

pull out a 60's race card and compare to Middle Eastern terrorism?

what a stretch...............

Racism is racism.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2003, 10:24:26 AM »
Racism is racism.

and terrorism is murder

murder commited by middle eastern men

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2003, 10:24:39 AM »
So what are you that are for profiling suggesting.  Separate lines and different security procedures for anyone of middle-eastern descent?

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
racial profiling
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2003, 10:27:35 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
So what are you that are for profiling suggesting.  Separate lines and different security procedures for anyone of middle-eastern descent?

SOB

Nah, we are still dealing with a the same fixed number of people that can be searched before the system becomes impractical.

Whether the 2 security officers are searching the 2 middle-eastern looking guys in one line or another doesn't make a difference.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
racial profiling
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2003, 10:29:09 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
and terrorism is murder

murder commited by middle eastern men

Except when it's not commited by middle eastern men.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2003, 10:29:44 AM »
nothing that drastic, just check everyone that fits the profile as you would if it were a regular murder investigation & others that don't and not have the PC crowd tell the inspectors that have to search evenly ... the 80 year old war vet and skip the arab because they already checked an arab within the last x numbers of searches...

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
racial profiling
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2003, 10:30:13 AM »
No need for separate lines...they can be dragged out of my line, I will make room gladly.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
racial profiling
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2003, 10:33:28 AM »
Thrawn, I havn't read the source you quoted yet, but I strongly disagree with you on profiling. Profiling works. It must be based on intelligence which is continiously updated.

You don't profile just based on race, necessarily. You use any number of data... origin of flight, destination, type aircraft, time of year, and yes maybe gender or race, or age, style of dress, or any other factor where a correlation is found. Why the emotional response to profiling? I don't get it.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
racial profiling
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2003, 10:34:31 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
No need for separate lines...they can be dragged out of my line, I will make room gladly.

So people of middle-eastern decent should be dragged out of your line and searched just because they look middle-eastern even though it might not be the best way to stop actual terrorism?

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
racial profiling
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2003, 10:35:34 AM »
Ironically, "profiling" is the term used by media to mis-represent what professionals do.
 Professionals themselves use the term "experience". An experienced professional differs from one with just theoretical education by having experience and using it to achieve objectives more efficiently.

Conclusions based on experience may sometime differ from ones based on theory - which for prefessionals themselves means that the theory should be revised but for some politicians it means that professionals are evil, inherently biased people.

Thrawn: Racism is racism.

That is not good definition for someone who may be trying to avoid being racist. Care to post a more usable one?

So people of middle-eastern decent should be dragged out of your line and searched just because they look middle-eastern...

Politely taken to the side and searched while everybody else is waiting. The plane will not leave without them.

...even though it might not be the best way to stop actual terrorism?

That would be for experts to decide.

miko
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 10:38:41 AM by miko2d »

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2003, 10:36:49 AM »
Good examples Eagler...I agree the current system can be pretty diddlyed up.  I'll add to that a barrell full of scissors, half of which you wouldn't be afraid to let your child run with much less fear someone taking over a plane with.  I see no reason to single out 17-40 year old middle easterners and skip everyone else.  John Walker is only one man but he proves the point that it IS possible to have a terrorist that doesn't fit the description.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
racial profiling
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2003, 10:45:58 AM »
Gunthr,

I have not been arguing about profiling in general, but have my limited my points to racial profiling as it is the subject of this thread.

miko,

"Thrawn: Racism is racism.

That is not good definition for someone who may be trying to avoid being racist. Care to post a more usable one? "

Making people sit on the back of a bus because of race is racism.
Making people sit on a different plane because of race is racism.

"...even though it might not be the best way to stop actual terrorism?

That would be for experts to decide. "

That's nice.  What problem do you have wtih paper I linked to?

Eagler,

"John Walker is only one man but he proves the point that it IS possible to have a terrorist that doesn't fit the description."

Nah, he is the only Al-Quade member that we know about that fits this discription.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
racial profiling
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2003, 10:57:16 AM »
play the odds

just like you do with everything else in life

it ain't about STOPPING terrorism (as this is impossible), its about MINIMIZING it.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
racial profiling
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2003, 11:02:49 AM »
So people of middle-eastern decent should be dragged out of your line and searched just because they look middle-eastern even though it might not be the best way to stop actual terrorism?

The "might not be" part of the above sentance intrigues me.

It implies the possibility that it MIGHT BE the best way to stop actual terrorism.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain