Author Topic: All former WB pilots, let's see a show of hands  (Read 4689 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: All former WB pilots, let's see a show of hands
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
Blast from the past! Checkout the old timers in this thread. I think I personally met about half of them at the '02 con. Played AWIII then discovered WB when it was like a dollar an hour or something like that, played that off and on for about a year maybe less then heard about a new sim called Aces High in 1999 and the rest is history.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »
WB and DOA  :aok

Onerka, DOA was a blast for quite a while.  I wish the WW1 in here was as much fun, but I think it's very slow.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:09:48 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2016, 11:53:50 AM »
WB, started in late '98.   Flew as -oboe- with the old 27th Sentai under aanvil and BigRed.  WB was alot of fun back then, with 4 colored countries - the Barneys, Frogs, Santas and ??   Sure appreciated the $29.95 HTC flat monthly subscription fee over the $70 I was averaging in WBs.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
Raises hand.

Started in AW on GEnie flying with the squad A.C.I.D (Agents of Common Intent - Demolition).  When CK/WB came about the squad disbanded and a few of us members created WoD (Wings of Death).  I flew there as --ed-- and -edge-.  I still have the sweatshirt and polo shirts awarded for winning duels with Dale and Pyro.  Shortly after "WildBill" took over WB I went to AH and have flown as TShark ever since.  Now I REALLY feel old!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
Hey thanks for posting this, I like to see where folks origins came from.   :)

I never had the privledge to fly Warbirds. Once I was looking for a differnt sim, I looked to Aces High and saw no need to look further, though many of my squad tried WBs.

Looks like alot of great experience here  :)

same here :salute
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »
Raises hand.

Started in AW on GEnie flying with the squad A.C.I.D (Agents of Common Intent - Demolition).  When CK/WB came about the squad disbanded and a few of us members created WoD (Wings of Death).  I flew there as --ed-- and -edge-.  I still have the sweatshirt and polo shirts awarded for winning duels with Dale and Pyro.  Shortly after "WildBill" took over WB I went to AH and have flown as TShark ever since.  Now I REALLY feel old!

I think I remember -edge-.   I remember winning a WB T-shirt too, from the KILLME events where a WB staff member would fly around the MA for an hour so and everybody who got a kill on them would get a free T-shirt.   That was a fun event.   

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
<raises hand>

Flew in Dawn of Aces, Armored Assault(tanks), and WarBirds.
Always the same callsign. I also flew Red Baron on INN before Dawn of Aces came along.

Flew with Piranha, Onerka, Sling, Skarp, Ebee, Dxdxdx, Digler, JDHogg, Tommy, psjc, ichabd,  et. al in
The Pig Stompers. Our favorite Squad to fight was the FT's (Flying Tigers). Great bunch of guys as well.
I think you remember them Rekkof   :D :D :D

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »
-dolby  475th Fighter Group "Satan's Angels" for about 2 months towards the end of 2014
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
I really miss the DOA Zeppellin.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
version 1.07 -> 3.x
Trainer corps  1999-2010

CO of Royal Swedish Air Force squadron.

Pilot handle  'save' and '=save='

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Joined WB in early '97 at the behest of a group I worked with flying a couple of T-6's and a C-45 (once in a while for close in events we took an L-5) around to air shows. Got a local squadron going using phone conference calling for coms before voice was available. We moved to AH in early beta.  I flew as GronK originally, then Snork, Dagger, and others as I drifted in and out and the squadron members left or died. We did what I think was the very first AH memorial fly-by when our CO passed from cancer.
Flying as Noser

Offline OttoJg14

• Zinc Member
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
Hello Otto! Heard you had more kills than anybody else in Warbirds.  :cheers:

That would be me! Is the original Jg14 still around..or maybe some alter Kammeraden?

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2016, 08:20:34 PM »
WB from 1997 until they let Crummpp do flight models, then the 475FG moved to AH. Members drifted away and I finally quit AH out of boredom. It was too hard to find an aerial fight. Everyone was in GV's after about 9 pm.

Stayed away from online games for several years until I got sucked back into WB to work on flight models. We built some awesome models, probably the most authentic outside of DCS and certainly the most authentic MMOG models.(Yes I am bragging)

HOWEVER...........

Flight models don't mean diddly poo with poor game play design and WB is tops in poorly thought out game play design not to mention crap GUI and graphics

AND

not everyone likes challenging flight models. (I am sure someone will slag me in this thread. WB is toxic as hell and those trolls won't be able to resist)

So the 475FG seems to be moving back to AH since WB game play is now officially never going to change.

I am really enjoying AHIII and I hope the constant aerial action remains when it goes into production. If it does, then we will be happy here.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
Ahh the old days.  Started out in WB's in 98
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
 :old:

Raises hand...................

Man reading this thread was like reading a early '70's high school yearbook..................... ....

Started playing WB's @ 2.01 on 8-7-98 and still carry a subscription to this day. WB in game handle was\is Flyhii..............

Did a little stint in AW3 as well just before it was pulled.

Moved to AH just before the upgrade to the now old AHII due to the graphics issues I was having w\ my Nvidia vid card in WBIII at that time. Can't remember the year...................

Been here since.

Ironic that I can't get into WB 2016 now due to the D3D_Compiler issue..................

This genre of game is the only game that I like to play so I support both of them and have done so for quite some time.

:airplane:
 :salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd