Author Topic: Training films?  (Read 472 times)

Offline kibbets

• Zinc Member
Training films?
« on: January 23, 2003, 12:41:53 AM »
Hey, I flew Airwarrior way back for a bit, was never all that good.  
Recently I found Aces High.  I havent got a new joystick yet so I have only been testing it out with mouse so far and I am not online yet.  

I noticed the option for adding voice and text comments to films, is there by anychance any films created by trainers for this site or anything which have voice walk throughs.

I have watched many films already and find them slightly usefull but with what little knowledge I have I find it hard to know what to concentrate on while watching a film.  

I think training films with good thurough walk throughs would be very helpful.  Just a thought :)

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Kibbets.

Offline Puh

• Nickel Member
Training films?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 07:26:09 PM »
Sorry, I've never seen any movies like that, but it's a good idea. If you specify what you want to learn more about, perhaps someone will make that movie especially for you.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Training films?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 10:07:32 PM »
Just a thought Kibbets.

The game actually has two film viewers. One within the game. The other called ah film viewer.

The film viewer within the game provides a good looksee at the flight from the pilots point of view and can be accessed by firing up Aces High then click on the film button and chose one to view.

The other one is located in the aces high folder. After you have installed Aces High and you click on program files/aceshigh there you will find aces high film viewer. This is separate and editable.
What makes it so interesting is it shows your airspeed, the distance to the nearest enemy/friends and...you can click on any of the name names listed on the right and you jump into their cockpit. From there you get to see the other guys point of view of the fight. You can even try it ini the training aena making your own films. Then playback the fight from both cockpits.

As far joysticks, if you're just getting into it and checking it out you can get by with a cheapy $20-30 stick. Just try and find one with an 8-way hat. Then as you get hooked, like the rest of us, you can spend the money for one with all the bells and whistles. Take the original one and throw it in the drawer. The expensive ones crap out and need overhauls so you can pull it out while the other one's in the shop.

Hope this helps.:)

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Training films?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 05:00:08 PM »
http://ripsnort60.tripod.com/Aces_High_Training_Films.html

Albeit old, but rip put a lot of work into them.

Edit: No voice, but still excellent

Aces High Forums at forums.checksix.net

Offline kibbets

• Zinc Member
Training films?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2003, 12:31:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, I will definitley check it out.

I am pretty sure I will be hooked on Aces High from the get go because I enjoyed Air Warrior so much.

I have a old microsoft joystick however and its a game port, so I need a new usb one.  I am thinking of the Saitek x45.  However I can't find anywhere here (in Canada) to test it out.. :(

Anyway, thanks for the replies, to be a little more specific.  A simple one on one duel using P38's with basically what the pilot is thinking throughout each manouver and even why what he is doing is working well.

I understand all the concepts of E managment and such, but the practical application in a dogfight I find hard to teach my self. Like how hard to pull the stick and such I guess.

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Training films?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2003, 04:47:59 PM »
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73435

Try some of AKAK's films.  I have not personally viewed them, but they were all taken while flying the P-38.