Author Topic: Alt in KOTH  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Alt in KOTH
« on: January 24, 2003, 11:20:43 PM »
Don't know how most of you players fly,  but i survive on the Dive.... if i can't dive i'm as good as dead

The current rule setup doesn't allow for much diveing in KOTH ... i mean the limit is 5k and some of the mountians in Rumble peak at 3-4k

If anyone else think this setup suxs .. speak up

I know the idea is to keep people from sitting at alt till fight is almost done ... but with th terrian of rumble it just sucks bellybutton IMHO

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 09:05:09 AM »
I also think we could get a better map than we have. I also know that I would never be able to make one so I can live with it.
I have heard we may be getting a different map, but don't want to start a rumor [ although I think I just may have ].
I agree that the 5k cruise altitude and the higher ground level cuts out some manuvering room. It also kind of rewards the late takeoffs and they may be higher when the 'FIGHT' command is given. If we had to climb to altitude it would be tougher to get higher than you should and late takeoffs would be slightly penalized with a lower altitude, even though we usually wait for all to get to the correct altitude.
Also, with KOTHs growing numbers there is not enough room to get seperation before the fight is called. Lately there are, or have been, an increase of the 'get off my 6' or 'he was lining me up before the fight was on' complaints.

fuzeman

[ man I have way to many thoughts on KOTH today ]
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 02:21:53 PM »
Noted...

Will look at other maps and see if we have a bigger/better map... Will also talk to the terrain team about making us a new one...  Maybe we'll use the Wild Wednesday Terrain next time.

Thoughts?

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 12:26:47 AM »
I like the terrain...

DISCLAIMER! This is my own opinion!

KOTH isn't about BnZ Tactics, it's about SA, somethin I SUCK at! I find the terrain is nice to *hug* when I'm in a bad spot. If ya clear ur 6 by making someone crash, so be it ;)

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 08:01:54 PM »
Not asking for BnZ room ... the moutains are 4k in some areas .. that gives you a 1000 feet to fight in!!! (chutes need about 600-1000 feet to open this isn't much room!)   i need speed to fight.... without speed you can't force an overshoot easily...   with speed I can kill anyone , ANYONE on my 6, but i need at least 400 MPH if not more.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 08:20:28 PM »
Without speed you can make someone overshoot easier, not with speed :)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 12:32:53 PM »
Originally posted by Newman
KOTH isn't about BnZ Tactics, it's about SA, somethin I SUCK at! I find the terrain is nice to *hug* when I'm in a bad spot. If ya clear ur 6 by making someone crash, so be it ;)  

Knife Fighting on the deck is only one facet of Air-Combat, and KOTH should allow pilots that prefer to "E" fight the luxury to do so.  The existing terrain we use for KOTH really only allows about 3K of fighting altitude which limits the flight dimensions.  I won't consider unrestricted altitude limits, but I'm really coming around to the idea of 5K above terrain vs. the 5K above sea level.  5K AGL allows the prospect of both styles of fighting without making any one player "untouchable".  Comments?

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 12:34:11 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
with speed I can kill anyone , ANYONE on my 6, but i need at least 400 MPH if not more.

Not me...;)

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 10:40:39 PM »
Originally posted by BigMax
I won't consider unrestricted altitude limits, but I'm really coming around to the idea of 5K above terrain vs. the 5K above sea level.  5K AGL allows the prospect of both styles of fighting without making any one player "untouchable".  Comments?

Sounds fine to me :)

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 11:28:46 AM »
5k AGL sounds aok to me.

:( :mad:  Early calander browsing makes me think I'll miss the next one too :mad: :mad:

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 02:54:02 AM »
Originally posted by fuze
5k AGL sounds aok to me.

:( :mad:  Early calander browsing makes me think I'll miss the next one too :mad: :mad:

You need to plan RL stuff better ;)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2003, 10:49:14 AM »
Originally posted by BigMax
You need to plan RL stuff better ;)

You got that 100% right!!
Oh well... when  is Aprils KOTH going to be?
[ I know its way to early to even speculate about it. ]
LoL it seems when I only had a day or three notice when KOTH was going to happen I had a better chance of making it.
Guess I have to stop reading the web boards and see what happens.

frustrated fuzeman
« Last Edit: March 11, 2003, 08:01:41 AM by fuzeman »

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2003, 04:13:11 PM »
would be great bigmax.... you need room to dive and fight fast... some of the mountains there are almost 4k... with a 5k alt cap hehe :rolleyes:  

plus I think flatter land would be more fun too...mountains make a busy SA job that much harder.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2003, 12:15:30 AM »
Originally posted by fuze
Oh well... when  is Aprils KOTH going to be?

Speculating:

It looks like the 25th will be our day, but, that is NOT firm yet.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Alt in KOTH
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2003, 08:25:56 AM »
Dang, the only booked frYday I have in April is the 25th.

Just kidding :)

Hopefully things here will be slightly better and I'll make it.
Gonna try to pull some strings and beg like a dog to make the March one though.
[ Have to go practice my begging dog expressions. ]

fuzeman