Author Topic: Refueling  (Read 556 times)

Offline laz

• Copper Member
Refueling
« on: January 08, 2002, 11:43:00 PM »
This is just an idea.. but what about a menu that pops up when you reload i.e Bombs, rockets and you could select a different load from pad instead of stopping a good sortie to load some cookies.   :D   :D

=Twin Engined Devils=

"The talented one"   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Refueling
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2002, 10:19:00 AM »
I'll 2nd that.

WTF?
I am finding myself agreeing with Lasz again!
Hmm, one of us is becoming more or less of a ... ???

eskimo

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Refueling
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2002, 10:31:00 AM »
that would be laz, not lazs  ;)

but your still right in what you said  :D
(IMO)

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Refueling
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2002, 11:55:00 AM »
Cookies?!!

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: SUPERFLY ]
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Refueling
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2002, 12:27:00 PM »
The thing I like about the re-arm pads right now is that they are a "If you came prepared, they are usefull" tool.  If a base might be under GV attack, I take rockets and bombs.  If it turns out there are no GVs, I jetison the rockets and bombs... then I can rearm if necessary.

So... it is possible to meet your needs already, but you want an easier way to do it.  All for the sake of extending a sortie.

Sorry... I just don't buy it.

AKDejaVu

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Refueling
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2002, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
The thing I like about the re-arm pads right now is that they are a "If you came prepared, they are usefull" tool.  If a base might be under GV attack, I take rockets and bombs.  If it turns out there are no GVs, I jetison the rockets and bombs... then I can rearm if necessary.

The counterpoint to this is if you upped from a base that only allowed 25% fuel and/or no ordinance.  It's possible that in the time you managed to clear the enemies out from the immediate area, either fuel or ordinance was rebuilt.  It seems rather odd that you would then choose to resupply with 25% fuel if 100% is now available.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Refueling
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2002, 01:44:00 PM »
Fuel is one thing, but on-the-fly re-equipping is something else.

Getting close to becoming Counter-Strike except you don't have to even have money to buy anything. People want repair hangars, rearm pads where you can choose a new loadout, who knows what else.... All so that they can game their scores.

How about this, what if a sortie counted like it's supposed to- when you take off, sortie begins, you land and come to a complete stop- sortie over. You begin to move again, new sortie.
-SW

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Refueling
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2002, 02:02:00 PM »
The real lazs is l a z s.   this phony one is realy l a z e r.   It is like a bunch of guys flying niks and spits calling themselves "twin engined devils".
lazs

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Refueling
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2002, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
Fuel is one thing, but on-the-fly re-equipping is something else.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing fuel would be the big thing for most people when resupplying.  I know it would be for me after field defense.

Getting close to becoming Counter-Strike except you don't have to even have money to buy anything. People want repair hangars, rearm pads where you can choose a new loadout, who knows what else.... All so that they can game their scores.

I don't buy that this would be a slippery slope.  Repair hangars are IMO a really dumb and should be avoided at all costs.  I do see where allowing ordinance changes could be Quakish, but I've always wondered why we couldn't change fuel loads while rearming -- it shouldn't take that much longer to put in more or less fuel.  Maybe adding an extra rearm time penalty for anyone changing fuel loadouts and disabling the addition of DTs would go a long way toward avoiding the Counter Strike phenomenon.

How about this, what if a sortie counted like it's supposed to- when you take off, sortie begins, you land and come to a complete stop- sortie over. You begin to move again, new sortie.
-SW

That's a good idea.  Or maybe a new sortie begins after resupply.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Refueling
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2002, 02:11:00 PM »
I think the idea is sound about refueling/resupplying/re-equip, heck even repairing... so long as the sortie ends and a new one begins when this happens.

Just my pet peeve, I want the sorties to end when you refuel/rearm right now! But nothing goes my way.   ;)
-SW

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Refueling
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »
you are missunderstood and underapreciated in AH SW.
lazs

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Refueling
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »
If the sortie ends when you land it should only end after a refuel/rearm.  Otherwise the short stop starts would count as sorties when all your doing is adjusting on the runway.

I’m all for repairing damage once landed.  I also like the idea of changing load-outs without hitting the tower.

Zippatuh

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Refueling
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2002, 02:54:00 PM »
The counterpoint to this is if you upped from a base that only allowed 25% fuel and/or no ordinance. It's possible that in the time you managed to clear the enemies out from the immediate area, either fuel or ordinance was rebuilt. It seems rather odd that you would then choose to resupply with 25% fuel if 100% is now available.

Its not a counterpoint.

There is nothing preventing you from taking off with the 100% fuel load once the tanks respawn.  The simple argument is wether you should have to end a sortie to do it.

I think you should.

Hell.. rearm pads could repair planes for all I care... but it shouldn't be a tool used to bump the "kills per sortie" number up even farther.  Proposing changes for the sake of stats... sheesh.

AKDejaVu

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Refueling
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2002, 03:14:00 PM »
well according to the stats it shows sorties landed right? So Zippatuh then it should not show each runway adjustment as a completed sortie because the aircraft never actually left the ground. BUT if it translates out the way you are thinking then a sortie should only count once your gear have left the ground; no matter how high off the ground you go it would still be a sortie.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Refueling
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2002, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Its not a counterpoint.

Actually, it is.  You offered a scenario where everything is available to the player but he chooses (unwisely) to take off with less than everything available.  I offered a scenario where the player took off with everything that was available at the time and was later punished for it upon base resupply.

There is nothing preventing you from taking off with the 100% fuel load once the tanks respawn.  The simple argument is wether you should have to end a sortie to do it.

SWulfe's suggestion goes along these lines without actually having to replane, and I like his suggestion.  OTOH, it seems a bit unrealistic and silly to me to not allow players to change fuel loadouts while they're being refueled; that's a simple business of having a groundcrew stand there for less time or more time while they fuel the plane.  It's certainly less work than switching out the guns or strapping some 1000 pound bombs to the belly of the plane.

Hell.. rearm pads could repair planes for all I care... but it shouldn't be a tool used to bump the "kills per sortie" number up even farther.  Proposing changes for the sake of stats... sheesh.

You do realize, of course, that about the only purpose of rearm pads short of defending an area after the fighter hangars are down is to bump up statistics... right?  You state on the one hand that you don't care if they exist, yet you bemoan the very reason for their existence.

That said, I think a compromise to keep the stats weenies happy would be in order... maybe something along the lines of counting a rearm as a new sortie for stats purposes, but keeping the kill buffer going for a player until death or exit.  Hence, one may get 12 kills (according to the kill buffer) with one rearm, but the stats actually consider this a 6:1 K/S rather than 12:1.

-- Todd/Leviathn