Author Topic: How many Rooks does it take to shoot down 1 lone B17?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
How many Rooks does it take to shoot down 1 lone B17?
« on: June 11, 2000, 09:51:00 PM »
4!!!!

LOL I have a flim of me facing 4 rook fighters, 3 of which are F4U-1Cs. Naturaly I get blown into 50 million pieces by the turbo lasers, but still. Just goes to show how bad rook pilots are against buffs.  

I'll email the flim to anyone if you want it.

Beefcake - Never runs from a fight, no mater what the odds  
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2000, 09:59:00 PM »
If it was the last run where you got downed...I downed ya in a 190 at close range..the other 2  F4U's weren't within firing range and the other one was near you to draw your fire. We always attack a buff in pairs if we can for that reason. If its any consolation you shot off half the F4's wing. He landed anyway.

Please post the film so I can get some pics off of it.

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 06-11-2000).]

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2000, 10:02:00 PM »
I know, but STILL it was 4 vs 1.  

But good job anyway, the only way anyone can really kill me is by doulbe teaming me.

Beefcake - Who Actually couldn't run from the fight because he was too slow  

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
Well of course we double team ya! We aren't fools!  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2000, 11:17:00 PM »
Only one... the other 3 were critiquing.  

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
Just because there was more than one chasing you, it doesnt mean it takes more than one.  You might just have been the only one around at the time.  Dont flatter yourself.

It sure would seem obvious to anyone reading this board that you spend alot of time trying to figure out how to get alot of attention for yourself. Dont do it by trying to insult the pilots of a country.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline cars

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2000, 04:09:00 AM »
What Dago said and something more to think about. If your squad is rotating countries from time to time, you might want to watch what you say,it will effect the way you're treated by the players you fly with. You'll lose any respect you may have gained and will certainly have more trouble getting cooperation for yourself and your squad. You are always whining about how people don't like you, don't you see the connection? Grow up.

------------------
"Happiness is a belt-fed weapon"

arhurb

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
I fly rook. I will take your B17 down with a single Spitfire pass...    

Pepino

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
Look I'm not bashing the rooks, I'm just saying it was funny. Well to me anyway. I just thought it was so funny to see 3 F4U-1Cs attacking one lone B17. I just wanted to make a joke out of it. And no I don't to draw ATTN to myself.

I AM BEEFCAKE........ BOW BEFORE ME!!!!!!!!!!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2000, 09:41:00 AM »
beef - until such time when twin 50 cal stop taking off wings of a fighter from 1,500 yards any joke about being attacked by any number of any fighters is not actually funny.

All you have to do (in a buff) is to point your turret in a general direction of an attacker and squeeze the trigger... If you find it funny - you should really try to get out more...

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Soup Nazi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2000, 09:50:00 AM »
How close were  they?  I find myself easily downing bombers with my trusty, but uber, F4U-1C from D1.0-D1.3 consistantly.  Hell, I don't even get pinged from their .50 at that range!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
Soup Nazi : Flying the FPorku again , heh ? ----> NO SOUP FOR YOU !
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
On our last sortie of the night, reports of nme to our west led Sundog and myself to head in that direction at 20k. Kbman and his wing were approx. 4k north of us when we spotted a B-17G apparently coming off his bomb run on a easterly tack. Sundog and I turned south to intercept, I started a slight dive towards is 7 while SD stayed hi to set up a double attack. At 1.5 the buff starts to engage me, I return fire and see hits at 800-700yrds, i push over and dive under still drawing fire, at this point I lose my outboard port wing. Sundog in his Fw-190A-8 closes and dispatches the target from >500yrds. I got the assist and Sundog got a confirmed kill on 1 B-17G. I do not believe the trailing pair of Rook ftrs were ever in range to fire, but if we had missed and broken off, they were ready    

You did some good gunning Beef, see ya up there

[This message has been edited by JimBear (edited 06-12-2000).]

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Sundog blew off my tail, and I started to spin upward. At that same time another "C" came in and blew off my right wing. So basicly 3 of you attacked me, but the other 2 F4Us didn't attack until I was already disabled.

Beefcake - NO LEAD FOR YOU!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2000, 10:44:00 AM »
I think everyone should post every time they get engaged by more than one aircraft.  Maybe we could even have a forum called "That's not fair!" where people can complain when any tactics are used against them.

The fact that you can be even semi-effective in a lone B-17 indicates you should probably just shut up.

AKDejaVu