Author Topic: What happens if you die?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Realism Vs. Gamesmanship
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2003, 01:31:19 PM »
I have been a pistol shooter for years, and we have had the same discussion about realism vs. gameplay for years.  The answer was separating the realists from the gamesmen, and that is what HTC is trying to do with this.

If you are a gameplayer, play in the main arena.  If you are a simulator, then play in the new ToD.  It's that simple.  Let the guys that are designing the system do their work.  If something is wrong with it when it comes out, they are flexible enough to correct it.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
What happens if you die?
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2003, 02:27:18 PM »
If you`re dead, you`re dead.

Just don`t have the "respawned" :P cadets have to do training over and over again.

You can easily master whatever training there is, and on the 27th go it will be just boredom.

Looking forward to beeing a cadet over and over again,

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2003, 04:16:05 AM »
No one should be busted down to cadet denying them "flight status". 2nd Lt. should be the lowest rank because of simple mathematics. The premise of this ONLINE sim is that we will be pitted against each other in an aerial contest over objectives. To be successful you most likely will have to shoot down another player, gaining 10 points and potentially robbing the other guy for 100 points, depending on whether realistic bail-outs will be modeled. It may be required for a lot of players to seldom or never exceeded 2nd Lt. status to allow a small number of "eksperten" to advance in rank.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Buff guns in AHII
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2003, 04:53:56 PM »
I'm reading thru the various threads so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has been answered. Looking at the axis side of the equation for 1944-45 it would seem bomber interception would be 90% of the mission load (in the west). Given the current state of buff gunnery and the addition of a realistic effort...life expectancy would be about 1 mission:)...just about what a cadet in late 44 had :)

I'd think you'd need to tone down the leathality of the AI gunnery a bit in order to create a realistic chance of survival.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
What happens if you die?
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2003, 09:34:16 AM »
At the end of the day the only decision factor will be whether AHIITOD sells in the format envisaged. If too many people get turned off by having to go back to training, it will be changed. If it is a success from the outset, it will stay as it is and may be developed further.

HTC isn't a charity, natural attrition requires it to develop formats that appeal to more people. It can't survive unless it does.

The only thing that has been illustrated here is that currently there is a clear division of opinion on whether the product will be appealing in this format - however, none of us have seen it, so I guess we can discuss the merits of both systems, but in the end, we will have to wait and see what the masses think.

Fox

:) ;) :)