Author Topic: What happens if you die?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2003, 09:03:43 AM »
I expect that ToD will be as easymode as the current game, with the addition of the RPG aspect.  It would be a huge waste of time and energy to produce the "ultimate realism sim" that some seem to want this to be.  The hardcore flightsim crowd already knows about AH (and the CT), ToD could open a new market for the RPG crowd, who will NOT be expert at flightsims.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
What happens if you die?
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2003, 10:39:31 AM »
Originally posted by popeye
I expect that ToD will be as easymode as the current game, with the addition of the RPG aspect.  It would be a huge waste of time and energy to produce the "ultimate realism sim" that some seem to want this to be.  The hardcore flightsim crowd already knows about AH (and the CT), ToD could open a new market for the RPG crowd, who will NOT be expert at flightsims.

We're not asking for more ultra-realistic aircraft models here. We are asking for gameplay realism where death and failure have penalties.

The RPG crowd already plays where death has consequences and that is what I would like to see in ToD. Some people, on the other hand, want to be able to do whatever, whenever, no matter how many times they fail.

Once again, the RPG crowd enjoys those games where they have to work up the level of their character by being successful, smart and lucky, but also by knowing that if they fail, it could have a drastic effect on their character.

If the only thing ToD is going to be is auto-created missions with AI, where it doesn't matter if you win or loose, then what would be the point of even playing? If the answer is, "so you can have fun by going around and shooting stuff down," then please consider the current MA as that.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2003, 11:15:51 AM »
Gotta remember that this arena needs to be fun enough for the "normal" player so as to make it a profitable exercise for HTC. Catering to the "elite few" and casting the rest to the wolves won't accomplish the goal of profitability.

J_A_B

Except the standard of the "norm" in MA should be different from the standard of the "norm" in AH ToD.

That's why there's training required for people to advance.

Nobody expects everybody in the new AH ToD to become a Hartmann or a Johnson or a Marseilles... but still, they should at least meet some sort of minimum requirements fit for a pilot that would participate in organized missions.

All this discussion is not about catering for the elite, rather, it's about catering for the non-elite, so that they may become better fit to enjoy the potentials of the ToD.

Arlo views that only as a way of punishment.. however, I think of it as a systematic concession for the underskilled. Everybody will probably die regularly even in the new ToD... and yet, if you die, fail, screw-up so much as to actually be demoted and go down the ladder, it probably means you suck. When people suck, they need more practice and training.

How more logical can it get?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 11:19:53 AM by Kweassa »

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
What happens if you die?
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2003, 12:10:19 PM »
Popeye, I think ToD will be a lot more newbie friendly than the MA due to the fact that it's not just about kills and they're not left on their own to figure what to do.  So you're correct in that this isn't just something that's aimed at the hardcore, it isn't.  Nor are we expecting it to be populated by all our current players.

Arlo, you're making the assumption that this is just to prevent griefing.  It isn't.  There'll be more effective mechanisms for that.  In the case of the guy who goes up and gets shot down every time, that's not a good thing.  It's not a good thing for him, even (or especially) if he's accepting of it, and it's not a good thing for everybody else.  We want people to be aggressive, but not suicidal.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2003, 12:18:35 PM »
Pyro,

Could you give any answers to the actual start of this thread.? The death situation has been beaten to, well, death by those who have been posting. What about the other concerns I wrote about? Like joining missions, AI generated missions, having to wait for "squaddies" or if you can just select a "solo" mission and fly?

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
"Fear of death or fear of failure?"
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »
In the five years that I've been a member of various online MMP ACS communities (yes, by comparison to some I'm a relative newcomer) one thing became apparent from the offset: some players actually fear failure. This should come as no surprise because it's not an uncommon character flaw in people, whether it's in relation to life or leisure.

I'll go so far as to say it's a flaw that exists in all of us, to one degree or another. The difference laying in how we react to it - whether we resist the urge to give into it or not. Of course, giving into it means rationalization ... and almost certainly - referring to it by a less damning term. In this case "fear of death".

Using fear as a motivation for anything cannot lead to anything productive ... at least not on a conscious level. One could say that the adrenaline reation from fear allows for amazing accomplishments but that isn't motivation ... it's a physical reaction.

Ever since the first player boasted of his success (based on tactics motivated by fear) and was shocked and amazed to see how little it impressed the players who's motivation in the game isn't fear of failure but desire for fun, there's been a heated debate over what the game is supposed to be centered around and the motivations of the players. While it is certainly true that WWII combat fighter pilots experienced both fear of death and fear of failure, it is highly doubtful that any significant (or minute) portion of them used either as their prime motivation.

Seeing the rationalization by many here for trying to mechanically incorprorate such fear into TOD is amusing on one hand and sad on the other. It will not work. You can't change the nature of player's who refuse to let fear be the motivation of their actions in a game any more than you can change the nature of players who do.

Guess my not being too afraid to take chances somehow equates to my being so afraid to take chances that I'll do anything, be it cheat or what ... according to some. lol ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 12:05:02 AM by Arlo »

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
What happens if you die?
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2003, 04:20:32 PM »
Mav, the missions aren't player generated and you just can't hop in a plane and take off solo.  It is not an open arena.  Everything you do is part of a unit and part of a mission.  So yes, there will be a briefing room where you get the run-down.  Rank will be used to organize how the missions will run with higher ranks leading missions.  We're also looking at using an evaluation system that rank would play a role in.  Finally, there will be some perks to come with rank such as better aircraft and ground crew.

Arlo, you pretty much lost me as this is getting into a semantical argument.  Fear is a strong word that doesn't fit when used in this context.  It sounds like you want a consequenceless game system, but we already have that and we're not trying to duplicate it with ToD.  Some people will like both ToD and Classic, some will only like one or the other.  But that's the point of having two completely different venues, we get to appeal to more people in one form or another.  No game is going to appeal to everybody.  The Sims may sell a gajillion copies, but I won't ever play it for fun because it doesn't appeal to me.  ToD will not appeal to a lot of people because of the rigid structure, even though that is the very reason why it will appeal to others.  If we were getting rid of Classic and replacing it with ToD, then I would agree with you on many of your points.

As to your real world analysis, I disagree with much of what you say and I'd bet Abraham Maslow would as well.  But that is entirely outside of this discussion on game mechanics.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2003, 04:47:15 PM »
I'd bet Abraham Maslow would as well.

Maslow always has a way of rearing his ugly head :) His leaving spicy galic buffalo wings and fine, ice-cold ales off the list tarnishes his acedemic reputaion beyond repair, IMO.

Charon

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
What happens if you die?
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2003, 04:52:06 PM »
Aces High II: Sims.

Sounds good.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
What happens if you die?
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2003, 05:15:15 PM »
Self-actualization aside this does sound good......

Rank will be used to organize how the missions will run with higher ranks leading missions. We're also looking at using an evaluation system that rank would play a role in. Finally, there will be some perks to come with rank such as better aircraft and ground crew.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2003, 09:36:42 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro

It sounds like you want a consequenceless game system, but we already have that and we're not trying to duplicate it with ToD.  Some people will like both ToD and Classic, some will only like one or the other.  But that's the point of having two completely different venues, we get to appeal to more people in one form or another.  No game is going to appeal to everybody.  The Sims may sell a gajillion copies, but I won't ever play it for fun because it doesn't appeal to me.  ToD will not appeal to a lot of people because of the rigid structure, even though that is the very reason why it will appeal to others.  If we were getting rid of Classic and replacing it with ToD, then I would agree with you on many of your points.

It shouldn't sound that way at all. I've stated time and again that the consequences go too far. The criteria for gaining rank (and the perks and privs associated) as well as a system that demotes players (stripping said gained privs and perks) need not go so far as sending players back through the training they supposedly passed to begin with. We've come to the conclusion that this particular punitive measure isn't really designed to discourage griefers. Then it must surely be just a penalty for players who lose too many engagements (deaths). We're not even talking about failure to attempt or compete missions.

I'm all for having a system that rewards success. I'm even all for a system that costs the players when they fail - to a point. My opinion is that retraining takes it too far.

As far as players having the choice of Classic or TOD .... even the Classic players have a vested interest in seeing TOD succeed. Unless, of course, HTC can afford for TOD to fail without it affecting the success and operation of AHII:Classic.

But hey, I've said my piece and gotten my response(s). You're the president of one of the most successful WWII multiplayer online combat simulation games on the internet. If the one thing I felt uncomfortable with in the proposal (and made mention of) doesn't phase you, then it's not my call. Message delivered, message recieved, reply returned and recieved. Thanks. :)
Originally posted by Pyro

As to your real world analysis, I disagree with much of what you say and I'd bet Abraham Maslow would as well.  But that is entirely outside of this discussion on game mechanics.

I bet Tommy Blackburn wouldn't disagree:

"While working on the things that set Fighting-17 apart from other - run of the mill - squadrons, I was also quite concerned lest my fledglings miss a good grounding in the heritage of courage and devotion to duty that stood as the foundation for the U.S. Navy's fighting arms. It was my solemn duty and privilege to teach the uninitiated that, from the ancient days of sail, seafaring men have known that their lives and fortunes depend upon the bonds formed among shipmates. The teachings were embodied in oft-repeated aphorisms like "Never let your shipmate down," and "Never flee in the face of the enemy."

Our young pilots learned from the small cadre of proffesionals about all the brave men who had gone before them and why and when and where they had said, "Don't give up the ship, fight her til she sinks," and Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm's way." I wanted them to be especially mindful of the heros and heroics of naval aviation, of Lcdr. John Waldron and his Torpedo-8, a squadron of slow and vulnerable, obsolete torpedo planes that, unsupported and in broad daylight, had bored through Japanese anti-aircraft fire and Zero fighters to attack the Japanese carriers at Midway. Waldron and all but one of his pilots died in that attack, but they established with their blood and their lives a nonpareil precedent of devotion and duty. I did not expect my youngsters to die as the Torpedo-8 pilots and aircrewmen had died, but I did expect them to go down facing the enemy, if indeed they must go down. More important than merely dying with their boots on and thus providing us with an example of courage and devotion to duty, Torpedo-8 had sucked down the Japanese fighter cover and had thus allowed our dive-bombers to score numerous hits that started the decline of the Imperial Navy's hitherto unbeatable carrier arm. That was the real contribution, the real lesson of Torpedo-8, the one I did expect my squadron to emulate -- making our positive contribution to the final victory."

-"The Jolly Rogers"

As you may know, VF-17, with Blackburn at the helm, went on to down 154 Japanese planes in 76 days. They did so through both aggressive spirit and superior tactics - neither taking precidence over the other. And, considering the same sense of devotion to duty (not to mention self-sacrifice) that the enemy displayed in the Pacific ... it was a good thing. :D

btw ... I'm done. Won't mind actually being wrong on this one ... even though I have the suspician that I'm not. :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 11:23:37 PM by Arlo »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
What happens if you die?
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2003, 10:33:23 PM »
Arlo

Your point is well taken, but there is a major differance between the men of Torpedo-8 and any sim pilot.

What they did was for the honor of their country and a sense of duty that can only be fostered in times of extreme need. They paid the ultimate price for what they did, and allowed the US Navy to win that battle.

However, in a sim, being the sacrafical lamb is just too easy and you don't suffer for it. If there were no penalties for it, I can assure you people would be using it to "game the game" just as they do in the MA.

Unfortunately, artifical penalties have to be introduced to shape game play into what it is intended to be. With no penalties, you get what the MA is now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2003, 11:00:10 PM »
My Tom Blackburn account was merely a real life counter-example to Pyro's Abe Maslow in reply to his opinion that my views on what did and didn't provide the prime motivation for real life WWII pilots was also incorrect.

I'm done presenting my case ... it's rested and awaiting the verdict down the line.

Originally posted by Midnight
Arlo

Your point is well taken, but there is a major differance between the men of Torpedo-8 and any sim pilot.

Offline Achttag

• Zinc Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2003, 04:22:25 AM »
"ToD will not appeal to a lot of people because of the rigid structure" (Pyro)

Unless you are a sim anarchist. What slightly concerns me...

"If you die in the mission what happens to yor character or "career". Do you start over or do you get to do the mission over again? I can see how the "sim" folks woulfd be excited about this but what about the player that is going to spend less than 10 hours a week playing?" (Maverick)

...is what if you don't care? I mean, I guess some form of mechanism will be needed to prevent those who's major pleasure would be to see a rigid structure / mission / whatever and try and **** it up.

Achttag
<>

Offline Achttag

• Zinc Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2003, 05:00:16 AM »
Er... I mean - I vote we need some form of mechanism for this if no other reason, and I'm quite happy to go along with whatever HTC decides it should be. A games only a game if it has rules, no matter if some might seem arbitrary at times.

Achttag
<>