Author Topic: What happens if you die?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2003, 06:47:25 PM »
Is Wotan Batz?  Thought the "style" was familiar.  Keeping my ignore list up to date with all of these handle changes is getting to be a pain.  Carry on.

bowser

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
What happens if you die?
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2003, 06:51:40 PM »
Arlo wtg on editing your post  completely 14 min after I replied....

Bowser are looking for attention? you can use that ignore button in silence cant ya?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2003, 07:04:33 PM »
Neh ... it was more like 5. Afterward I edited I noticed your "brilliant" reply. My editing didn't make it look any worse. :D Later I decided to add some of your "brilliance" to my post by manually adding your quote. Never-the-less ... glad it pisses you off. ;)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
What happens if you die?
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2003, 07:11:17 PM »
Last edited by Arlo on 02-10-2003 at 07:35 PM

my reply 07:21 PM

thats 14 min

the edit came 8 min after your other post 07:27 PM

Your edited post doesnt contain any word that was their originally.

Lie if ya want, Whatever it takes to get ya through......

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2003, 07:22:45 PM »
I don't mind a sensible discussion and search for alternatives in the least. Thanks, C.

Of course ... my first alternative is to not implement retraining as a means of punitive action at all. I still don't think it's going to be a neccesity.

But ... if indeed there surfaced a cadre of dedicated grievers who chose to test (and break) the boundries of the game's system, there's bound to be a better way than using a method that would no doubt cause collateral damage to the most vulnerable and easiest lost part of the playerbase.

I'll think on it some more (and probably consult a few others) and maybe continue on with you later on this.

Again, thanks, C. :D

Originally posted by Charon

Since beta is at least two weeks away :), why worry too much about it now? I assume thought will go into the point structure to balance aggression and survival issues, and limit excessive training sessions for those who try. If not, then I imagine the arena will fail. I can assume HTC knows this too. Again, though, if you have something better please let us know. I don’t much like the training idea except as a regrettable necessity.

Charon

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2003, 07:25:48 PM »
2 edits ... about 10 mins apart. Live with it or don't, pissy diaper boy. ;)

Originally posted by Batz
Last edited by Arlo on 02-10-2003 at 07:35 PM

my reply 07:21 PM

thats 14 min

the edit came 8 min after your other post 07:27 PM

Your edited post doesnt contain any word that was their originally.

Lie if ya want, Whatever it takes to get ya through......

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2003, 07:57:44 PM »
Jeez Arlo, retraining for 100 straight deaths is still too much? Anyone who can take off and land will survive 1 out 100 missions through pure luck. That is unless they are hell bent on dying every single time. And that's the impression I'm getting from you, that you're not having fun unless you're getting killed over and over again. That's fine, but the MA or CT is the place for that. Actually, I have no problem with that kind of flying in TOD, so long as they are flying like-minded opponents.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2003, 08:13:27 PM »
Did you really think Pyro was offering to up it to 100 or 1000 or 1 mil? LOL Well damn! I missed my chance to change the arbitrary numbah, didn't I?! :rolleyes: (hint: nooooo ... retraining after 100 deaths is just plain stupid. One is a mistake ... one is stupid. Again ... one is a mistake .... one is stupid. Pyro wasn't really offering to up it to 100, Jethro) :D

You're as good on impressions as Wotan. You'll probably take that as a compliment ... and that's fine. You're welcome. ;)

Originally posted by Regurge
Jeez Arlo, retraining for 100 straight deaths is still too much? Anyone who can take off and land will survive 1 out 100 missions through pure luck. That is unless they are hell bent on dying every single time. And that's the impression I'm getting from you, that you're not having fun unless you're getting killed over and over again. That's fine, but the MA or CT is the place for that. Actually, I have no problem with that kind of flying in TOD, so long as they are flying like-minded opponents.

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2003, 09:11:23 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Did you really think Pyro was offering to up it to 100 or 1000 or 1 mil?

If the only way to get people to fly in the arena is to let them have 100 striaght deaths then, yes, I think thats the way it would be. After all, this is HTC's living and empty arenas=lost income.

Fortuantely that won't be needed. Retraining after 100 deaths is stupid and after 1 is excessive. Sweet Jebus I think we're all in agreement on that! All this time I though you wanted no retraining ever, and now you say retraing is ok after x deaths, where x is between 1 and 100. Now you can argue if it should be 5 or 10 or 50 or whatever, but Pyro's whole point was that they will find something that most people can deal with.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2003, 10:04:41 PM »
No ... you still don't get me. I think forcing players to go back through training is not the answer. As a matter of fact ... I think it's another potential problem (actually I think it's certain to be a problem). I think most who are so worried about a problem with griefers are blowing it all out of proportion. Of course, Wotan has revealed it's not the griefer threat that gets him all excited about the prospect of punishing new players by giving them time outs for dying too much to suit "his likes" anyhow.

And .. no ... I like to rtb as well as the next guy. :)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
What happens if you die?
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2003, 10:18:22 PM »
Arlo, please answer honestly

1. Do you use known game cheats in other games besides AH? (I.E. God Mode, unlimited ammo, etc.)

2. If you fail a mission in an off-line game (the type with an unfolding story-line that alters based on previous missions), do you select 'retry mission' or 'continue' if you fail the mission, knowing that continuing might cause you to loose the game later?

3. If you roll a gutter-ball when bowling, do you not count that ball?

4. If you miss a shot in golf, do you take a mulligan?

5. If you make a bad move in chess, do you try to take it back?

6. If you failed a test at school, did you study harder for the next time, or just cheat or drop out?

7. If you strike out on a date, do you just quit dating?

Please do the simmulation community a favor and stop trying to ask for game consessions for AHII. If you are really so concerned that you will fail so many times that you are demoted back to cadet all the time, maybe you have other things to worry about. Life is full of disapointments and failures, and some of us would like to have that in a game too. Be considerate and learn to deal with hardships when you can't perform as needed. Not everything should be handed to you just because you want it.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2003, 10:50:23 PM »
... does this mean If we shoot a pilot in the silk 5 times in a row, they go back to training?

Will we have unlimited ammo?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2003, 11:11:36 PM »
Gotta remember that this arena needs to be fun enough for the "normal" player so as to make it a profitable exercise for HTC.   Catering to the "elite few" and casting the rest to the wolves won't accomplish the goal of profitability.  

J_A_B

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What happens if you die?
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2003, 07:38:47 AM »
What "game concession", Jethro? (shakes head) It's a shame that all I can do is explain it to ya .. not understand it for ya. Ain't it, Jethro? :D

Midnight aka Jethro despirately tries to put "Arlo on the spot" by going bizarrely off topic and not-surpisingly off the mark and saying ...
Arlo, please answer honestly

1. Do you use known game cheats in other games besides AH? (I.E. God Mode, unlimited ammo, etc.)

2. If you fail a mission in an off-line game (the type with an unfolding story-line that alters based on previous missions), do you select 'retry mission' or 'continue' if you fail the mission, knowing that continuing might cause you to loose the game later?

3. If you roll a gutter-ball when bowling, do you not count that ball?

4. If you miss a shot in golf, do you take a mulligan?

5. If you make a bad move in chess, do you try to take it back?

6. If you failed a test at school, did you study harder for the next time, or just cheat or drop out?

7. If you strike out on a date, do you just quit dating?

"Cause I think you do, so there, gyuck!" (shakes head ... lol)

Please do the simmulation community a favor and stop trying to ask for game consessions for AHII. If you are really so concerned that you will fail so many times that you are demoted back to cadet all the time, maybe you have other things to worry about. Life is full of disapointments and failures, and some of us would like to have that in a game too. Be considerate and learn to deal with hardships when you can't perform as needed. Not everything should be handed to you just because you want it. [/B]Hehe .... yeah .... Wotan thinks it's all about him ... you think it's all about me .... niether of ya could form a rational thought between yas. :D

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
What happens if you die?
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2003, 08:38:51 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
What "game concession", Jethro? (shakes head) It's a shame that all I can do is explain it to ya .. not understand it for ya. Ain't it, Jethro? :D

The game consession you are looking for is not having to go back to training if you fail your missions too many times. You are looking for a failure concession and you know it.

I am not off topic in any way by asking those questions of you either. They all relate to the topic.

From what HTC is saying, ToD is going to be a team game. Your team mates should be able to expect a certain level of performance of you so they know they can rely on you. If all you are worried about is getting shot down too many times, then you are not bringing anything to the team except liability.