Author Topic: Channel 1 News  (Read 904 times)

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 News
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:00:16 PM »
Was up last night when channel 1 turned into Fox News. I had no idea there was so much intellect hidden away behind the clever handles of my virtual opponents!

Not sure what unique dynamics at work in AH provoke all the heated political posturizing...haven't experienced that in past games. Seems there's something about AH that draws in "extremists" with a persecution complex.

I doubt there's anything HTC can do to curtail this type of use of the radio. My only suggestion is to disable channel 1 when one is not in flight. This would allow guys to still organize missions and comm with sqdmates. But it turns the guys that insist on getting on the soapbox into chum for the folks who pay 14.95 to actually fly. Go ahead, keep that head down typin..pre-fight appetizers are always nice :D.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:04:52 PM by Hornet »
Hornet

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Channel 1 News
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 02:03:17 PM »
you can just squelch channel 1. If you are trying to organize a mission over 1 you are already in bad shape. You only need channel 1 to chat across countries.

.squelch 1

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 02:33:13 PM »
true wotan, I could just squelch 1.

My focus however was on HTC's design intent for channel 1. I don't think its being used as it was intended. You could make a strong argument that even game-related trash talk is more relevant than the recent political diatribes.
Hornet

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 02:56:10 PM »
Although first amendment rights don't apply to the private sector in which AH and channel 1 reside, I doubt HTC would want to curtail the use of ch1 in the manner you suggest.  Why don't you just squelch?  Speaking of soapboxes, you've made your political position clear in your post, and without levying a single insult... bravo!  I do not think however, that you should assume you know what HTC's intent for channel 1 is.  in a court of law, this statement would be objected to by any first year law student as being heresay.  I am conservative...dunno about the "ultra" part. With that in mind, if you are referring to Rauml's comments that  we should stay out of the fight "between the Jews and the Arabs and let them all die", well I found that statement to be extremely preducial and unwise. I even asked Ruaml, with the intent of letting him clarifiy his opinion,"Rauml, ALL Jews and ALL arabs?" Apparently, he meant just what he said. I agree w/ you 100% that this kind of tasteless talk has no place on channel 1, or anywhere else but a civil libertarian chat room.  Would you please change your view from "ultra-conservative" to "extremist"?  I have known Rauml a long time and am friendly with him, but even my staunch, right wing skin was rankled by his comments.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 03:10:25 PM »
Rauml is a product of American propaganda... he's more to be pitied than despised.
Army of Muppets

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 03:14:21 PM »
Heheh wetrat.. I respect your opinion and I agree that Rauml  often says outrageous and innappropriate things...but I didn't want to turn this into a thread bashing anyone..it's just what I hope Hornet is referring to.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 05:35:15 PM »
My solution after finnaly getting fed up completely with this stuff was to write a macro that squelches Channel 1 with a single button press.

I do miss being able tp hash over a good fight with an opponent, but overall my enjoyment of the game has gon through the roof because I squelch Channel 1.

Few of us want to log on to peruse the diatribes of ill informed and highly opinionated lefties and righties.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 06:04:08 PM »
Speaking of soapboxes, you've made your political position clear in your post, and without levying a single insult

To pretend to know my political views from my original post identifying a gameplay issue is silly. If channel 1 had a problem with guys berating people to save the whales I'd say it - it would be equally annoying. But we both know that's not the case...I just call 'em as I see 'em. Please tuck in your shirtails, your political sensitivity is showing.

I do not think however, that you should assume you know what HTC's intent for channel 1 is. in a court of law, this statement would be objected to by any first year law student as being heresay.

I did not assume anything. I said I didn't think it was being used as intended. Heresy? You're not even in the ballpark, please save the law student for something less cut and dry.

Bottom line is myself and many others see the chnl 1 spew as a gameplay issue and I was looking for a better solution than squelching 1. My motivation is that I like to talk with the guys I just fought. Disabling chnl1 from the tower doesn't curtail anyones speech, it just makes its more dangerous to be a continuous blowhard on the radio.

Would you please change your view from "ultra-conservative" to "extremist"?

I've edited my original post because my intent is not to politicize this debate any further than you already have..though someone with such "staunch right wing skin" must see the irony in your focus on such "politically correct" semantics.
Hornet

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm betting he won't.

bowser

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 06:32:01 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet
You could make a strong argument that even game-related trash talk is more relevant than the recent political diatribes.

yeah!!

:D

< slinks away >
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 06:41:39 PM »
Oh come on, Steve... I wasn't bashing him, I just feel that it's my duty to defend the less-enlightened :p
Army of Muppets

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 06:41:52 PM »
Althought I wasnt there it seems some of you libs just  cant take any opposing view - you made that pretty clear with your Fox News reference. :)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 06:46:02 PM »
Hornet, what the hell is wrong with you?  You make your political leanings apparent by some of your comments..then I comment on them and you call me politically sensitive?  Take a breath.. I was complimenting you on your ability to have a differing view without making it personal..you force me to retract that however.  I asked you to change your terminology not because I'm sensitive... but to call a spade a spade..  If Rauml was sincere and not just trolling... he's not an ultra conservative... he's an extremist whacko. ...had nothing to do with "politically correct" or semantics.  I commented on your post, complimented you, and agreed with you on some points and you get all bent out of shape and come back with a condescending, holier-than-thou attitude.  Dunno what the chip on your shoulder is.. but save it for those that are truly attacking you.. I wasn't.

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 06:48:22 PM »
I'm so glad for the Channel 1 News.

Before, I was confused about Al Gore, Iraq, and Global Warming.  But now, listening to Aces High Channel 1, I feel much more informed.  Thanks Channel 1!

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Channel 1 News
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 06:49:14 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Few of us want to log on to peruse the diatribes of ill informed and highly opinionated lefties and righties.

Sorry...:( .