Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 703 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Jury duty
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2003, 11:13:12 PM »
Some of the responses here are really pathetic. This is a duty that is easy to serve and allows you to be a part of the justice system. You can help be a solution but instead many here just put selfish interests ahead of service.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tommy

• Zinc Member
Jury duty
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2003, 11:42:18 PM »
I always show up late on selection day and get released because of to many have shown up that day.

I would have a problem paying attention, get bored way to easy quit listening and would fall asleep easily. So I try hard to get kicked off. got off once cause wife worked for insurance and it was a injury case. Next time showed up right as they were to close doors and got sent home so next time I will do same thing. It may be civil duty but ill get put in jail for sleeping.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Jury duty
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2003, 02:32:26 AM »
Capt Apathy, here in the UK, you are allowed to defer jury service. Can you not do so in the US? Try writing back - you've nothing to lose.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Jury duty
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2003, 09:32:12 AM »
I called them the last time I got selected.  they had no problem understanding that since I make half of my anual income in 12 weeks of the year that it would be a huge hardship on my family for me to serve during those weeks.

when I explained that I had alot of free time at other times of the year and would be more than happy to serve then, they said that they have no provision to record that.  they just take your name off the list and see when their computer selects you again.

too bad,  not only do I think it's your duty to serve if you can, I'd honestly be interested to see the process work for real.

Offline Tommy

• Zinc Member
Jury duty
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2003, 10:59:18 AM »
Here in the county I live in (Tarrant in Texas) the first thing you meat is this ugly mean bellybutton squeak and they treat you like toejam if you set there all day. You cant even leave unless they give you permission. They also cram you into a room that cant hold the number of people they call. some stand for hours ohter sit down against the wall. So Jury duty is not a great thing to experience. I happen to work for a company that pay you while you are on the jury as long as it a short one.

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
Jury duty
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2003, 11:02:21 AM »
Ya know, I actually wouldn't mind sitting on a jury for a bit. I've never been called up for duty, go figure. I guess the computer knows something about me i've been trying to hide :D

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Jury duty
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2003, 12:17:38 PM »
FWIW, in my county, if not all of Texas, financial hardship does not excuse you from jury duty. Most probably don't want to serve, I know I don't, but where the hell would we be if everyone served only their self interests without looking at the bigger picture?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.